fran1

Gumusluk fish restaurants
We have visted Gumusluk several times but never eat at the fish restaurants there as a friend of ours once faced a bill of 750YTL for four of them! Can anyone recommend a restaurant with directions please where we can be sure of some good food at a resonable price.

Many thanks

biggles

biggles
We have visted Gumusluk several times but never eat at the fish restaurants there as a friend of ours once faced a bill of 750YTL for four of them! Can anyone recommend a restaurant with directions please where we can be sure of some good food at a resonable price.

Many thanks

yes . we never eat in the fish restaraunts [dont like fish or the price] when entering gumusluk [mars cafe on your left ] turn right and walk all the way along the front untill you come to bati,s restarunt [up some steps ] its all the way along the front and you sit up looking out to the bay . good prices and does a lot of other meals other than fish .[ thank god ]. BATI,S . make sure you get there early as its very popular . we get there by 8 pm .

allisonG

I think the trick to most of the places is to make sure you know the prices to things before you order. The prices are always available in advance and there are usually cheaper options if you are looking for it.

Nazmi's has great food, service and price. If you walk down the main street past the taxis and craft booths to get to the harbor, make a left turn and it is on the other side of the tea garden.

allisonG

I was sad to see that Bati changed their menu and doesn't have the diverse menu it had last year. It was always exciting to go there for something different- but when I went about 2 weeks ago their menu has been changed to resemble the other restaurants

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
We had a fantastic meal at Gonulcelen cafe/bar and penisyon in gumusluk, they do a really good fish special menu on a Wednesday, to find it, as you go past the jandarma go straight and up the hill towards the main village, they are 100mts on the left as you go past the turgutries turn off, large white building with blue windows just painted. They've just had a new terrace done. Enjoy.

Lesley

mikey

hi all. what sort of prices in gonulcelen for breakfast/dinner etc cheers michael

jeff

bayview

Many thanks
Blimey, how could anybody end up paying that much?! I have tried most of the restaurants along the waterfront and most are very good and can't recall a bad one. Most have the menus posted up outside so you can see the price. The only variation is when you buy the fish as obviously that will vary with the weight but you agree the price in advance - but hardly a problem if you don't like fish anyway! And of course the fish restaurants don't just serve fish.

We liked Bati because they always had something the kids would eat. When we were there in April it was being revamped and see from another post here that they have changed their menu which is a bit worrying.

We shall be giving Gonulcelen a try next time out.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
hi all. what sort of prices in gonulcelen for breakfast/dinner etc cheers michael

Hi Mikey,

We only found this restaurant in May, altho' had heard lots of great reports before we went, certainly is an excellent place and when you consider the fish special, and also their house wine very reasonbly priced, I would expect that the prices for their regular menu to be just as good value. I'm sure that others who have been before will have more info, but we'll def be going back.

gordie

gordie
Ok - one doesn't have a sea view, but it's only 5 mins walk away, but the Market on Gumsan 1 - Gümüşluk, the Restaurant there (After Jendarma and Limon Cafe - on the road to Yalikavak) offers - Sea Bream or Sea Bass, with Garnish, HUGE plate of Salad, Bread and ONE Efes, for 11 TL!!! Don't think you can beat that price. İf you want any more Efes, the cost is only 3TL each !
Gordie

mollag

Kipper restorer
My main prob with the resteraunts on the front is the hassle, last time i was there i watched the waiter spy me coming thru, he put down his paper and moved to the path, blocking it and refused to move untill i read his menu, he had seen me politley refuse 3 other offers from adjacent places. i moved him myself which left me well annoyed as pushing rissoles out of my way does not make for a good day out.
I will stick to the Guncelen rip off and hassle free.
Also Jeff, you may have been lucky, the fish resteraunts are notorious for huge bills, we call them Pelican resteraunts for this reason!

jeff

bayview
My main prob with the resteraunts on the front is the hassle, last time i was there i watched the waiter spy me coming thru, he put down his paper and moved to the path, blocking it and refused to move untill i read his menu, he had seen me politley refuse 3 other offers from adjacent places. i moved him myself which left me well annoyed as pushing rissoles out of my way does not make for a good day out.
I will stick to the Guncelen rip off and hassle free.
Also Jeff, you may have been lucky, the fish resteraunts are notorious for huge bills, we call them Pelican resteraunts for this reason!
I agree the waiters are a bit pushy (and irritatingly so at times) but have never experienced obstruction and if we did we would make it clear that we would never eat there. As we are regular visitors we are known to many of the restaurants so I suppose that helps in not getting ripped off but newcomers should be wary.

Can recommend "Onion & Garlic" at the far end of the waterfront (to the left as you face the sea). Lovely little family owned friendly restaurant. I wouldn't say it was cheap but it is value for money for what you get. Best to go in and book in advance because it is only small.

gordie

gordie
by gordie63 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:49 pm
Hi Everyone
As most of you know, the family who used to run the market on Gumsan 1,have now gone. Ercan and his family(originally from Ayçi Apart Market)- now closed- has now taken over the old Market. He has made a lot of alterations and in my opinion, for the better. the whole place is a lot cleaner and tidier. Prices are good. For example, a couple of nights ago, Stuart and i went down to his Restaurant, for 'some nosh'. Stu had:- Kofte and Chips, i had:- Grilled Sea Bream/garnish. We had a HUGE plate of Salad, Plate of Bread, Oil for salad, AND TWO EFES (one each) Total Cost = 20TL. i think one would have to go a long way to beat that - so why not visit Gumsan, instead of paying the ridiculous prices that i hear some of you are charged, in nearby towns/Villages. !!! Note the price of his Special Offer on Ercans Place Menu !! Fish-Salad-Bread-Garnish AND one Efes 11TL !!! ONE BOTTLE EFES ONLY 3TL !!
Why not give him a try - entry is via Gumsan 1 entrance gate, down the hill, on left hand side.
Gordie

Bill & Linda

Senior Members
We were visiting some friends a couple of weeks ago and decided to have a walk around Gumusluk, so I got my loins girded for the waiter onslaught, not one word was spoken to us, and we walked the whole front!! now either we look skint and cannot afford the places, or somedody on high has had a chat and said you are not doing a our village a lot of favours.:gossip:

You are right the waiters have taken a step back and are not so pushy,as they know they need the repeat trade.

biggles

biggles
if you are going to batis and dont want to run the waiter gauntlet ,you can walk straight into batis from the far end of the car park ,even better if you are parking a car as you are already in the car park. if they have changed their menu ,i think they are making a mistake as when i have been there it was always packed out so cant see the point in changing to be like the others as in my opinion thats why they were always busy because they were not like the others [ high price and fish ]plus pushy waiters .

Re Bati bar,last year they had an asain chef so the menu had a more oriental feel,but this year new manager and new chef so back to what there where good at.

captain

You are right the waiters have taken a step back and are not so pushy,as they know they need the repeat trade.

It's a pity it took them so long before realising that they need to encourage repeat trade. We've eaten in the fish restaraunts about 3 or 4 times but will never go back - we don't want the hassle off the waiters and we won't pay the prices any more.

We'll try Gonulcelen next time - at least we can walk there :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Doug

Last edited:

mikehibb

We like the Karafaki Restaurant.
I met Mehmet when he was setting up the outdoors tables for the new season a couple of yesrs ago. I was alone, just scouting out the area. Told him I was just doing so. He told be all about the area history and rabbit island etc.
So I told him that I PROMISE to bring the family to his restaurant when they come over, but he as to tell the kids (nephews) the stories etc.
To true to my word we went there and had a brilliant time, excellent food at a very reasonable price, just over half what the original poster quoted, and we had meal for 6 people ( 2 nephews are full adult size eaters, plus more) Additionally quite a few beers were consumed.
We always go back there at least once per trip ( I do 6 trips a year)

We get great service, obvioulsy we are recognised the minute that we step onto the harbour front. We never tend to be hastled either by the surrounding restaurants, not sure, but do they shout out a code word that I do not recognise in turkish that means leave them they are our regulars?

Deserts are often thrown in for free, if we go for a walk after the meal, then pass back by Karafaki we are usually asked to sit down for a drink on the house.

We have however heard of the horror stories too, some of our friends who eat at the places nearest to rabbit island ( I forget their names) have been charged double what we have for virtually identical meals.

You were plainly ripped off. Nightmare. In GUmsluck there is a lovely place on the front - I have forgotten the name but it is the young lady (shada) that used to run the Salkilabache. She is an excellent chef, good prices and honest. 750YTL for 4 - what were you drinking - DOm Perignon. Wish I had been there :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom