Growing your own
If I want to buy roses & lavender for my Turkish garden, should I get them from my local garden shop, or is it worth waiting until we do a trip to the Isparta area?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
Kanga, have you come across the difference between 'Yanmiş' and 'Yanmamış' (Burned and unburned). If you use raw manure you may get problems with grubs. A few year ago we had an infestation of Jaffa grubs (the larvae of stag beetles. nasty things, I think their larval stage is about 3 years, they seek out manure and compost/leaf mould. They ate the roots of many of our apple trees. Fortunately it turns out that Huskies love them. Enough said on that one.

1654266871873.png

Last edited:

enoch

Growing your own
Kanga, have you come across the difference between 'Yanmiş' and 'Yanmamış' (Burned and unburned). If you use raw manure you may get problems with grubs. A few year ago we had an infestation of Jaffa grubs (the larvae of stag beetles. nasty things, I think their larval stage is about 3 years, they seek out manure and compost/leaf mould. They ate the roots of many of our apple trees. Fortunately it turns out that Huskies love them. Enough said on that one.

View attachment 28359
A lot of vitamins in there. 😁

Kanga

Growing your own
Wow, I've never seen those. We did have an attack of the red palm beetle a few years ago with enormous grubs that had hollowed out the palm tree trunks. We split the trunks and got the grubs out, a whole bucketful, and spread them out on the parking lot for the crows They ate the lot, which was the best way to get rid of them! The gubre we use is ancient, I've never seen anything in it except bits of string and old washing etc that the goats have stolen and only semi-digested. The only time we got some gubre from a garden centre for a new garden bed it was infested with cockroaches, luckily, the bed was far away from the house. We've also had enormous African millipedes in the garden, brown and black snakes, but we now host a brave little hedgehog who turns out every evening at just before 9pm and belts round the garden eating all sorts.

Kanga

Growing your own
Advice wanted.
Our apricot tree has gone crazy this year and we cannot give enough away. I've made jam, I've stewed them for breakfast with yoghurt, but they are still bending the branches. All the neighbours hide when they see me coming with another bag full. . .
What's the best way to dry them please? I tried once but they got wormy. Someone suggests stringing them up like peppers to dry, but any other advice? I cannot make any more jam or freeze them as we're leaving end of the month.
Thanks.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
Advice wanted.
Our apricot tree has gone crazy this year and we cannot give enough away. I've made jam, I've stewed them for breakfast with yoghurt, but they are still bending the branches. All the neighbours hide when they see me coming with another bag full. . .
What's the best way to dry them please? I tried once but they got wormy. Someone suggests stringing them up like peppers to dry, but any other advice? I cannot make any more jam or freeze them as we're leaving end of the month.
Thanks.
I can send you a CAD drawing of Abi's drier. You could get one made on the sanayi, may take a week or so.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
240kg of vişne so far, should be enough for the wine and a few cheesecakes. You will easily find our house, we are the ones with the purple husky! Some neighbours have been to pick for themselves, the rest can stay on the trees. Apricots next!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom