Hilsjw

Growing your own
Do you have a special dryer or do you just leave them in the sun ? I see you have rows of lavender - lovely !

juco

Growing your own
I tried that (brought green ones back to the U.K. from Akbuk) but they went slimy so had to throw them away. If you don't like strong, salty olives the make we buy in the U.K. is a tin called Fragata. They are excellent and all our visitors really like them. They are £1.50. a tin and we buy them from Morrisons but other stores sell them I'm sure.
I also tried that but (from memory) we changed the salt water every few days for a couple of weeks, got the recipe from google on how to do it, and they were excellent.
This year uk my dog was digging out all my flower pot plants so caged them in a corner of the garden but instead of floweres bought a pack of carrot seed and produced about 20 kilo of carrots ....now made in to various soups and frozen.

DSCN9538.JPG

juco

Growing your own
Linseys wonky carrots, they taste great but clearly the soil needs lots more grit in, still got a good few left but the overnight frosts are around the corner
The problem with your carrots are twofold, probably the depth of soil (were they grown in pots) if they hit a solid surface they will `bend` and/or if there are stones the root will split and instead of a single root you get 2 or 3 as in your image.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Growing your own
The problem with your carrots are twofold, probably the depth of soil (were they grown in pots) if they hit a solid surface they will `bend` and/or if there are stones the root will split and instead of a single root you get 2 or 3 as in your image.
They are growing in raised beds, 700 mm high, the soil is mix of top soil, bagged compost and well rotted pig manure, I think the soil below the surface has formed a hard cake so at the end of the season our plan is to move that soil into another raised bed adding plenty of grit, can't remember the name of the grit off hand but it keeps the soil light and improves drainage.
She took all the tomatoes off the vine on Friday, today she turned about 40 of them into spicy tomato and lentil soup, already got a freezer full of tomato sauce, and still loads left.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
They are growing in raised beds, 700 mm high, the soil is mix of top soil, bagged compost and well rotted pig manure, I think the soil below the surface has formed a hard cake so at the end of the season our plan is to move that soil into another raised bed adding plenty of grit, can't remember the name of the grit off hand but it keeps the soil light and improves drainage.
She took all the tomatoes off the vine on Friday, today she turned about 40 of them into spicy tomato and lentil soup, already got a freezer full of tomato sauce, and still loads left.
I have a good recipe for tomato relish, it goes really well with cheese if you are interested. It keeps a couple of years if 'jarred' carefully

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Growing your own
I have a good recipe for tomato relish, it goes really well with cheese if you are interested. It keeps a couple of years if 'jarred' carefully
She has made loads of chutneys and relishes over the years, we have some that are over 10 years old and still taste perfect, problem is she is dairy intolerant so only eats the odd goats and sheep's cheese, which means I don't get a look in

Latest Posts

Top Bottom