Growing your own
All we have is the dates ripping well.

View attachment 24071
I wish that our palms had dates. Unfortunately our just seem to have seed pods which land on the ground & produce loads of new palm trees if you are not careful.
2 palm trees are enough for us, especially as our neighbours palm roots grew into our drain & blocked our toilet. Luckily he has since cut his tree down.

enoch

Growing your own
I wish that our palms had dates. Unfortunately our just seem to have seed pods which land on the ground & produce loads of new palm trees if you are not careful.
2 palm trees are enough for us, especially as our neighbours palm roots grew into our drain & blocked our toilet. Luckily he has since cut his tree down.
They are sugar dates I have been told. In Istanbul they sell for about 100 tl klo, some of the bunches are about 20 klo each and there is 14 I think.

Growing your own
They are sugar dates I have been told. In Istanbul they sell for about 100 tl klo, some of the bunches are about 20 klo each and there is 14 I think.
If your neighbours dont pick them this year, find yourself someone to sell them to next year. Someone that will pick them themselves.
Or else just pay someone to pick them, then sell them. It could give you a nice little boost to your bank balance.
If not, you could maybe find a charity that would pick & sell them.
It is such a shame if they go to waste, plus they will probably make a big sticky mess for you to have to clear up if they get left.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
When we lived on a site, and had large palm trees, the management had an agreement with the fire brigade to use the ladder to prune the trees, I was never there for date picking, so am not sure about that side of things. Maybe you could go halves with them.

enoch

Growing your own
If your neighbours dont pick them this year, find yourself someone to sell them to next year. Someone that will pick them themselves.
Or else just pay someone to pick them, then sell them. It could give you a nice little boost to your bank balance.
If not, you could maybe find a charity that would pick & sell them.
It is such a shame if they go to waste, plus they will probably make a big sticky mess for you to have to clear up if they get left.
If they don't take them the fruit bat's will take them. They love them.

Growing your own
Preserving olives is not a hassle. Wash them, remove any stalks, put them in a jar with copious amount of rough salt and leave them. When you want to use them soak them in fresh water (changed each day) for about 5 days, and Robert is your father's brother.
I picked just couple of kilos of black olives today. Going to have a go at preserving them

Hilsjw

Growing your own
I tried that (brought green ones back to the U.K. from Akbuk) but they went slimy so had to throw them away. If you don't like strong, salty olives the make we buy in the U.K. is a tin called Fragata. They are excellent and all our visitors really like them. They are £1.50. a tin and we buy them from Morrisons but other stores sell them I'm sure.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
I tried that (brought green ones back to the U.K. from Akbuk) but they went slimy so had to throw them away. If you don't like strong, salty olives the make we buy in the U.K. is a tin called Fragata. They are excellent and all our visitors really like them. They are £1.50. a tin and we buy them from Morrisons but other stores sell them I'm sure.
You probably did not add enough salt.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom