IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
End of the season, just a few walnuts and plums to pick now, It's been a really good year for nuts of all kind. We have buckets and buckets of almonds hazels and walnuts. Last peaches are falling off the tree now. Time to get the veggie garden emptied and turned.

dog toilet.jpg

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Growing your own
Outside we have some carrots, cabbage left, the girl from the farm over the road gave Linsey some sprout plants/sticks that may produce by Christmas, all the potatoes are picked and caulis eaten or blanched and frozen, she even picked some reasonable strawberries yesterday, they were hidden from sight until she started to clear stuff. In the greenhouse we still have a fair few tomatoes of different varieties that will be turned into a sauce, along with some peppers that didn't do too well, the sauce will be seasoned portioned into ziplocks and frozen ready for pasta/meatball dishes etc.
I successfully grew 20 pots of Italian long red chilli peppers in a sunny spare bedroom, i force dried half of them and ground them up into flakes, the other half are hanging from the ceiling naturally drying and will probably get ground sometime in the new year, I have built 4 more raised planters for next season as we have a major rabbit problem, no idea what she is planning for those, she now wants them all covering with a netted cage.
ALDi would have been miles cheaper.

Martin

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
We still have carrots, beetroot and capsicum peppers in the ground. We have crates of onions and garlic drying. Earlier this month we made tomato relish and have lots of tomato paste in the freezer for the winter. Dried beans by the jarful too. Unfortunately the missus spent a good few weeks in the UK and her 'stand-in' is not as diligent at weeding etc, so things got a bit wild this year. We still have jars of chilli powder from 2019 so curries are not likely to be in short supply.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
Regarding lighting fires under fruit tress. No we have not tried this, but cannot see how it would work. Up here in the hills (already frost on the ground in the mornings) there are no flies around in the winter. As far as I understand the grubs over winter on the tree just under the bark. maybe the smoke affects them.

We do have a fire pit next to one of our walnut trees which we use throughout the year, but it seems to be affected as much as the otheres with grubs in some of the nuts.

We had the garden rotivated last week, the agricultural version of pressing 'reset', added last year's leaf mould on top which we will turn into the soil in the spring. I must say it does not rot down so well here as there is not enough rain. We are adding layers each day.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Growing your own
First signs of Spring up here in the mountains.............the kitchen table is full of seed packets
Same here, bags of various seed potatoes have arrived, my task is to build the tattie crates for growing in, problem is we haven't anywhere near enough topsoil so I can see my roasties being expensive

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
So far this year we have planted 19 trees in our field ( 11 horse Chestnuts and 8 sour cherry). We were down there this morning watering them (ridiculous when you need to water trees in February in the mountains). When we looked up we could see smoke 200m away, close to the house. The missus had emptied the ash can from the woodburner, and not been focussed, she had put it on some pine needles, which had got well ablaze. fortunately we always keep out watering cans full, so we managed to get it out after about 20 cans of water. Let this be a lesson to all!

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
We planted out peppers and cucumbers today, hopefully 30 tomato plants tomorrow. the missus picked up a passing tortoise this morning and checked it for ticks. She removed (and I organically dealt with) 22 ticks from one animal. Fine nose pliers are the best tool. We checked one yesterday, it had none, all in our garden.
Problems with our irrigation system, the installer has promised to come out tomorrow. It is time we started watering, there is a limit to what you can do with a hosepipe on city water.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
We were waiting for the pump 'usta' today when our 'assistant' from the village opened the gate to let a car in. I wondered why he did not open the 'tradesman's gate' which would have let him drive the car 200m to the edge of the lake. I went to ask. Then noticed that the 'assistant; was sitting under a tree getting his hair cut by the wandering village barber. At least they were socially distanced from everyone else.
Today we got the irrigation system working. The relay that controls the pump in low water was faulty. 2 chaps, 100km round trip, parts and labour 300TL. I really had to work to get him to accept more for 'yol parasi'

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Growing your own
Having a few late frosts here, I got accused of attempted murder of 2 of her tomato plants that she has nurtured from seed but placed in a wheelbarrow for wheeling out in the sun which I did but failed to take account of the wind chill, well I'm not a weather man and it was 7c in the shade. Loads of other stuff to go out as and when, should have hundreds of potatoes which are nearly all out now.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Growing your own
What a week. On Thursday we needed to go into town. for once we did not need a van, so i decided to take the car for a change. After finding a mouse run up my windscreen on the industrial sanayi last year, I thought I should check under the bonnet, as I had not used the car for a few weeks. Sure enough, seed shells everywhere. I took the van and cleaned out the car engine when we got home. There was a mouse nest in the sound insulation under the bonnet. One mouse ran out, was chased by the wolf and was eaten by the other husky. Enough wildlife for one week? No, a few minutes ago the missus came into the kitchen. 'We have another problem', a snake in the garage. Dogs tied up for safety until we managed to chase it out.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom