L

les&Tasha

Grand Design in Turkey ??
We have been looking at houses lately. We cannot find what we want. There are lots of “villas” but they are designed as summer houses and mostly built on Handkerchief size plots (less than 500 SQM). They are just not designed for year round living. They are also nearly all too small – around 200 SQM fine for a couple but small for a family if you want visitors. The triplexes are bigger but living over 3 floors does not appeal. Also we don’t want to live on a foreigner complex so what we are left with is individual houses and there are not so many for sale.

We drew up a wish list. Big plot (1500 SQM) not overlooked now or in the future (means Kat 2,5 or 3 zoned land). Large ground floor open plan, maybe 200 SQM. First floor 4 double bedrooms 3 bathrooms around 150 SQM. Plus pool and terraces. When you put these requirements to the emlaks you pretty soon realise that the only way you are going to get what you want is to build it yourself...

So we start discussing a “Grand Design” in Turkey. We buy the land, employ an architect to design the house we want and then build it. We would not trust this to a single contractor. We would buy all the materials and project manage the sub contractors ourselves.

Are we insane to consider doing this?

If any member done something similar can you share your experiences and views.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
We have been looking at houses lately. We cannot find what we want. There are lots of “villas” but they are designed as summer houses and mostly built on Handkerchief size plots (less than 500 SQM). They are just not designed for year round living. They are also nearly all too small – around 200 SQM fine for a couple but small for a family if you want visitors. The triplexes are bigger but living over 3 floors does not appeal. Also we don’t want to live on a foreigner complex so what we are left with is individual houses and there are not so many for sale.

We drew up a wish list. Big plot (1500 SQM) not overlooked now or in the future (means Kat 2,5 or 3 zoned land). Large ground floor open plan, maybe 200 SQM. First floor 4 double bedrooms 3 bathrooms around 150 SQM. Plus pool and terraces. When you put these requirements to the emlaks you pretty soon realise that the only way you are going to get what you want is to build it yourself...

So we start discussing a “Grand Design” in Turkey. We buy the land, employ an architect to design the house we want and then build it. We would not trust this to a single contractor. We would buy all the materials and project manage the sub contractors ourselves.

Are we insane to consider doing this?

If any member done something similar can you share your experiences and views.

Are you insane for doing this?...one word "OHMYGODYES"

Use the references given to you by experienced people on this forum. Find a GREAT subcontractor with knowledge of all the regulations and the contacts to employee only the best trademan. You can also dictate exactly how you want the house built and make sure there are no shortcuts taken in any way. Pay the extra, it will amount to peanuts in the end and then and only then will you really be happy with your home in Turkey.
Good Luck

Biker Bob

val2661

I've done it, a woman alone in Turkey. My only problem has been communication, with me having little knowledge of the Turkish language and his English being limited. The other problem I encountered is that the builder was not used to taking instruction from a woman. You definitely need a good architect who can get all the correct planning applications/licences for you. The architect should also be able to supply you with the names of reputable builders.

Good luck

Val

Last edited:
My friend - a single woman - did it, and she's the only person I know whose building came in on time, on budget and on spec!

She achieved this by sheer determination, guts and staying power! She was on site every day for the whole of the build and drove the architect and craftsmen to nervous breakdowns,but she got exactly what she wanted, including a roof and windows that didn't leak - after being assured by the builder that they were leak free she got a pressure hose and, with him beside her, used it on the roof and windows. Guess what? They leaked and had to be resealed etc!

She had never built a house before but did lots of research beforehand; she does speak reasonable Turkish. I asked would she do it again and she said maybe!

Sara-666

We did exactly what you want to do, we couldn't find the right house in the right location for the right price so we bought a plot of land and built ourselves. We used all local tradesmen from the villages around, some were brilliant, some not so good, but it was a learning curve. As I was 6 months pregnant at the time of the start of the build we were not there every day and really should have been as most of the blips came up by us not being there to question what was going on! We arrived on site one day and found a concreted hole 9 metres by 4.5 metres that was going to be the pool, no pipes etc had been put in but when we had the local pool installer round to assess this giant hole we were told that they had in fact done a great job and that it could be finished for a lot less than we thought.

Just don't forget about all the extras that are needed when working out the costings, like light fittngs, bannisters, internal doors, bathroom fitments etc. None of these were included in our build price and they soon mount up in price. We would definately do it again, we now have a beautiful 5 bedroom 4 bathroom house in an area that we love for a fraction of the price of a 3 bed house half an hour down the road.

Sara

kelchocolate

Just Watch Me
We did it, we had loads of problems,e.g builder was a scumbag, and he was killed before our villa was finished. If speak a little Turkish that would help tremendously. Anyway we are in now.Would i do it again, Yes.But not in Turkey!

hope you have enough money land prices have rocketed and finding a good builder and architec is not easy ,I know a few in Bodrum but it depends where you are looking to buy
GOOD LUCK

val2661

There are lots of Emlaks in the area who will sell you land for building your property, but please make sure that it has outline planning permission. Don't let any Emlak tell you that they can obtain planning permission for you. I spent over a year looking for the land to build my villa on and during that time looked at lots of plots, but very few had the relevant building permissions. As I said previously, find a good architect who speaks English and they can talk you through the whole process.

Val

L

les&Tasha

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your helpful comments. We want to learn from other peoples experience.

We spent the whole afternoon viewing houses with an Emlak. First two were typical summer houses which we had no interest in. When we were taken to a third example we refused to view, waste of time.

The next house was interesting. An older villa in Demirtas. It was VAST - 3 floors, 425 sqm on a 1200sqm plot complete with swimming pool and mature gardens. The person who built it has died, it is empty and quite run down but I reckon you could buy it for less than £250,000. It is a lot of house for that money.

The last house was virtually on the top of the mountain which overlooks Alanya. It was a high spec modernist "cube" Very well designed and built. The view is to die for! And that is what my daughter nearly did...

Daddy look - There is a snake in the swimming pool !!

It was a 5 foot long desert cobra! Like this -

Walterinnesia aegyptia

The snake species that queen Cleopatra is said to have committed suicide with!

Brghhh... Back to civilisation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom