bickern

Gov't-endorsed MGK plot against Gülen exposed
Seeing how many have been vocal about how RTE and AKP have supposedly been Gülen stooges something does not ring true if this report is correct.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gulen134.jpg

A secret national security document recently discovered by a Turkish daily has revealed that Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government signed on to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet (Gülen) movement.
The Taraf daily published a document on Wednesday prepared by the National Security Council (MGK) on Aug. 25, 2004, persuading the government to implement a series of measures to curb the activities of the Gülen movement. It advises the government to adopt legal measures that would impose harsh penalties on Gülen-affiliated institutions.

The two-page document was signed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, then-Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül, then-President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, Cabinet members, Chief of General Staff Gen. Hilmi Özkök, Land Forces Commander Aytaç Yalman, Naval Forces Commander Adm. Özden Örnek, Air Forces Commander Gen. İbrahim Fırtına and Gen. Şener Eruygur.

The document, identified as MGK decision No. 481, asked the government to develop an action plan to pursue the MGK's recommendations and instructed the Prime Ministry Monitoring Council (BTK) to coordinate the ministries and monitor whether the steps were being implemented.

Gov't-endorsed MGK plot against Gülen exposed by daily - Today's Zaman, your gateway to Turkish daily news

teosgirl

I don't understand your point, is it that RTE and Gulen were never on the same team? If that's your opinion you should be wondering WHY, if RTE and Gulen were never friends and there's no rift, RTE isn't simply acknowledging the MGK report and enactment of the recommendations. Why are ministers from the AKP denying the document was ever enforced?

Yalçın Akdoğan, an AK Party deputy and close aide to Erdoğan, admitted that the document is authentic but denied that the government implemented the MGK decision. “The MGK decision of 2004 was considered null and void. No Cabinet decision was taken on that, and no steps were taken whatsoever,” Akdoğan wrote on Twitter.

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said the government had never enacted the actions suggested against the Gülen movement and its manifestations.

Every other newspaper is reporting a 'rift' between RTE and Gulen. The Prime minister is being accused of duplicity by every opposition party. Doesn't that suggest that a good number of people believed they were once on the same side?
For years people accused those who claimed Gulen was operating within Turkey with an eye at effecting policy (with AKP help and blessing) of being crazy conspiracy theorists; now it seems a post coup organisation document was endorsed to some extent by the government, and everyone is overlooking the elephant in the room.

Perhaps a hint is in this sentence -

It also asks then-Foreign Minister Gül to cancel his earlier instructions to Turkish missions abroad to help the network of National View (Millî Görüş) and Gülen schools.

It seems to me that RTE and his team were playing the post coup organisation - MGK asked Gul to cancel isntructions to help Gulen schools, and in light of the wider agenda they agree, but do nothing.

You should be looking more closely at the recent movements of Gul. Have you not noticed how 'reasonable' and 'democratic' he sounds lately?

RTE and Gulen were mutually benefiting from each other for a time, but RTE's term is coming to an end and perhaps the fact that his plan for a one-presidential system is failing is making him bitter.

It's all a game, keep your friends close....

Charlotte

bickern

You should be looking more closely at the recent movements of Gul. Have you not noticed how 'reasonable' and 'democratic' he sounds lately?

RTE and Gulen were mutually benefiting from each other for a time, but RTE's term is coming to an end and perhaps the fact that his plan for a one-presidential system is failing is making him bitter.

It's all a game, keep your friends close....

Charlotte

With Gül most certainly, especially since Gezi started but until he comes out and says what his plans are things are still a bit muddy.

As for the one-presidential system failing, I think it has most definitely put a spanner in the works RTE and his dreams for the future and possibly why the new constitution discussions that does not seem to validate the one-presidential system seems to have lost his overall focus.

With Gülen I really can't say I have ever been convinced he has wielded as much power or has been as close to AKP as some would have others believe.

As for " It's all a game, keep your friends close...." I think that has always been true in politics if they have any sense.

teosgirl

Norman,

With Gülen I really can't say I have ever been convinced he has wielded as much power or has been as close to AKP as some would have others believe.

Gulen has a huge network in Turkey, his followers operate in a similar fashion to other elite organisations, ie, doing each other favours, watching each others back and ultimately maneuvering into positions of power, in order to further their aim. Religion and Money.

I don't want to sound like a total paranoid, however I personally know people close to the movement, I know a few things about the workings of those on the lower rungs of the movements ladder. I know more than I want to and I've witnessed the growth of membership in this region. It is an elephant in the room; major companies in Turkey are owned by the movement, TZ for one. The organisation and it's members own media companies, 140 private tutoring facilities, private schools (like Yamanlar in my area - totally open about it) hospitals (like Sifa, where my father had his quadruple bypass, also totally open about it) not to mention the private members who work within civil services. I'm sure the movement wields more power than you think, and that's why MGK asked for the investigation; it's also the reason several journalists who wrote about the movement languished in prison for so long.

With regards to the closeness to the AKP -

“It has been a humane visit. We have a relationship of brotherhood and friendship based on the past. It is a meeting which was held in order to eliminate some circles’ negative rumors and speculations all along. We wanted to meet, and they accepted,” Erdoğan said.

Since after the June 2011 elections, there have been persistent arguments of a gradually growing disagreement between the government and the followers of Gülen, called either the Gülen Movement or the Hizmet (Service) Movement. The uneasiness is reportedly on both sides amid allegations of a parallel state established by the Gülen Movement, which is particularly powerful in the police and judiciary.

POLITICS - Deputy PM made ?humane visit? to Islamic scholar Gülen, Erdo?an confirms

Charlotte

the Cemaat has infiltrated every part of Turkeys administration this is well known.. AKP came to power with the aid of Gülen ..and you can say Balyoz and Ergenekon witch hunts were the rewards to Gülen for the fall of Refah and his fleeing to the US

the rift became more open after Gülen in one of his sermons accused RTE of hubris ..further deteriorated after the Mavi Marmara and then the Fidan affair

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom