Gordon Brown is a disgrace
ive just seen a copy of the handwritten letter from Gordon Brown to the mother of Jamie Janes who was killed in Afghanistan.
Mrs Janes is making a fuss and rightly so...
İ am absolutely horrified that a man who is a leader of his country can neither spell nor write coherently and to offer this letter as a condolence to the mother of the boy who was killed is an insult.

val2661

I thought exactly the same as you when I saw the letter Shirley. However I began to wonder whether his eyesight is really bad in his one remaining eye (more so than we know!). I have no respect or admiration for Mr Brown or his policies, but I do think that the media is playing a huge part in manipulating this poor grieving mother in their attacks on Mr Brown.

Val

Saoirse

I am inclined to agree with you Val

Bottom line these soldiers are dying pointlessly in an unneccessary needless war.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
I personally don't care if the country's leader can't spell, i think it's irrelevant.
My hubbie is an intelligent man but his writing and spelling are atrocious.
How can she think about something so trivial when she's supposed to be mourning the loss of her son.
Why did she get the phone call taped? is she getting something out of this?
i'm not a lover of Gogsie but he did do the letter himself, he didn't have to.
Have you noticed that the mother never once looked the camera in the eye "so to speak".
I don't know but i'm not convinced about this mothers intentions.

Anyway, that's my two bobs worth.

Jeannie

carolk

R.I.P
I tend to agree with Jeannie, its not a disgrace if you cant spell and it says nothing about your intelligence!!! He may be dyslexic, who knows? It should tell people that you can still achieve great things even if you dont measure up in the world of acedemics/on paper. I know lots of people with Degrees coming out of their ar*e who have no common sense.

I am no fan of GB but have every sympathy for intelligent people who struggle with reading and writing.

if he cant spell or write coherently for whatever reason then considering his position he should have had the grace to send a decent letter to the woman not a badly penned script.
His arrogance has now left him wide open for this ensuing row.

Saoirse

anyone who wouldnt have sympathy with a mother who lost her son isnt human

Unfortunately one of the facts about joining an army in modern times is you are basically cannon fodder for the political expediency of the government in power.

This isnt 1914 or 1939 with "the bosh at the door"so its a fact of life that if you sign on the dotted line to be a soldier you are not actually signing up to just defend your homeland ,but you are accepting that you will do the government of the days fighting for them regardless of how pointless or unwinnable that politically motivated conflict may be. Extremely unfair.

This lady is obviously grieving over her son's death,, anger is one of the stages of grieving,, I think that she has directed this anger at Mr. Brown . While i am no fan of Mr. Brown, all i can say is that he did take time to write her a letter and not get his secretary to type one. Who cares if there was 25 spelling mistakes and who would bother to count them? Its the thought that counts! Her anger is evident in the recording and she doesn't give him chance to explain himself. I am sure everyone sympathises with this lady's loss.

jcrian

Whatever the rights or wrongs of this letter it is being manipulated by a newspaper to create a story. How many people would have the hardware set up to record a telephone conversation which she obviously did, no doubt courtesy of the newspaper.

I would think she is being paid for helping with this story and I'm sure over the next few days we will be told more.

I have no respect for this government, Gordon Brown and their policies and the sooner we have a general election the better

Saoirse

I doubt the tories will be much better. Their Afghanistan/Iraq policies are identical and they are not exactly the party to lecture anyone on sleaze, lies or incompetence

geordie_nev

says it all to me when its the Sun that is doing the tories dirty work.

I agree. It’s terrible how the media manipulate these stories and the poor grieving Lady.

It’s interesting to note [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Coulson"]Andy Coulson[/ame], who resigned his position from the News of the World following the royal phone-tapping scandal is now the Director of Communications & Planning for the Conservative Party. It was probably down to him that The Sun switched its support from Labour to the Tories a few months ago in a desperate attempt to boost circulation figures.

I worked with him and Rebekah Wade on a web project about 10 years ago now, without a shadow of a doubt they were the worst people I’ve ever had to work with.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
at least he took the time to write personally instead of a pre set cordial reply just signed by him, ok it had spelling mistakes .

The mother is grief stricken and part of the healing process is to strike back at all and as the leader of the country he got the full brunt of her rightful anger.

Im sure as her grief lessens she will see the letter as a personal tribute to her son from Gordon Brown

DAVIDO

i am very sorry for the mother , however i think that he may not have the neatest of handwriting or spelling skills ,but at least he sent her it personally. i do know if he had it sent typed up by his secretary or just signed the bottom of a pretyped letter that would not have gone down well. to me its like a xmas card your children send , its far nicer receiving a card they made and wrote ,than a shop bought one .and he i feel did the right thing, .because he is pm does not make him the greatest speller or writer .and im sure if he had done it any other way ,there would have been people saying he should have written it personally irespective of his writing skills. the words of on a winner to nothing comes to mind.

davido

Mikee100

Mikee100
Had he sent a typed letter, it would be unlikely to contain any spelling or gramatical errors due to spell checker. However, I beleive the lady would have complained that the typed letter was impersonal and non heartfelt. This lady is greiving and therefore angry. We each have our own personal veiws on the rights or wrongs of this war and equaly on the qualities or incompitence of our government.
Is it realy the place for the media to be so politically biased?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom