Gold hallmark
Can anyone tell me if when buying gold in turkey would they have the hallmark sign like they do in england. if I bought some gold which had no hallmark what would i be getting, i just want to make sure i do not get cheated not very good eyesight when looking at small things

thanks any help

Last edited by a moderator:

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Gold hallmark
Re: gold halmark

I don't think they have a hallmark system as such, when I enquired a while ago at a jewellers I was told that they can get it certified but items have to be sent off to Istanbul or Ankara and can take weeks.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Gold hallmark

A lot of Gold sold in Turkey is 14 carat or "585" gold. The "585" is short for 58.5%. This is the percentage by volume of the metal which must be gold. The rest of the volume can be of any other metal but it generally consists of silver.

Although the volume of the gold may only be 58.5% of the volume, it may constitute 80% of the weight of the item because gold is so much denser than most other precious metals.

juco

Gold hallmark

No they dont generally hallmark the gold, apparently it goes by weight although how they control this I don`t know. I wouldn`t know how to tell but my wife bought some unmarked stuff a couple of years ago and had it checked in UK and it was good.
I still dont trust it though.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Gold hallmark
Hi I.ve bought a lot of jewellery in Turkey Its 14ct 18ct ..and 22ct The higher the ct the higher the price , Many shops will give you a certificate , Some Hotels have good jewllers But will be a little more expensive , Yellow and rose gold have a brass or copper content to give it its colour , White gold as silver content wich makes it more expensive .But be careful with diamond looking stones Some are cubic zirconia = A man made stone , then theres Zirconia a natural gemstone mined in Cambodia , And Diamonds , You did.nt say were in Turkey your going to , dont worry , Haggle a little bit But the seller only gets 3% comission on diamonds and 5% on gold So if you spend say £50 poor chap gets only £5 !!!! ........I used to help out in a jewllers in Marmaris if he was busy My wage 0 he and his wife are my friends ,

Guz1

Gold hallmark
Gold is good value in Turkey but gemstones are not. Do a lot of haggling and don't be afraid to walk away if they aren't willing to haggle. As Pineapple says, be careful of zirconium that resembles diamonds. Sometimes in Turkey they refer to these as White Saphhires in an attempt to make them sound like precious stones when they aren't.

One of my neighbours (Turkish but lives in Germany) came shopping with me to buy some earrings. She never referred to carats but spoke all the time about percentages of gold using the numbers mentioned in KKOB's post.

Last edited:
Gold hallmark
I have bought gold jewellery from Mane in the shopping mall and each year on my return I have it valued by a reputable jeweller.

So far I have found that I have purchased exactly what I thought..ie diamond, emerald etc. and for an awful lot less than I would pay at home and thats taking intoconsideration the price of valuation.

aitchij

aitch
Gold hallmark
I have bought many pieces I tend to buy all mine from the same place in olu deniz and then have it valued when I get home.VERY HAPPY.. I have the diamond pieces were valued here for insurance more than 3 times what I paid. I think if you can find someone that you can trust its fine.

Gold hallmark
I have bought many pieces I tend to buy all mine from the same place in olu deniz and then have it valued when I get home.VERY HAPPY.. I have the diamond pieces were valued here for insurance more than 3 times what I paid. I think if you can find someone that you can trust its fine.

Whats the place called please as there are quite a few in Olu Deniz and I am a really softie when it comes to Gold I like good heavy weight gold thats a bit more unusual. I have seen a few beautiful pieces in the Olu Deniz shops but sadly for me each time I spotted they were closed.

Crystalclear

Guz1

Gold hallmark
I have the diamond pieces were valued here for insurance more than 3 times what I paid. I think if you can find someone that you can trust its fine.

Yes, the average customer relies heavily on the expertise, reputation and integrity of the jeweller when buying jewellery with gemstones. When I started visiting Turkey, gold was sold in gold shops and jewellers sold gemstones. There were about ten gold shops to every jewellery shop. Nowadays they are all the same, but I'm not so sure that the expertise is the same.

I reckon that most of the shops in the resorts get their stock from a limited number of suppliers and since gold is valued by weight there won't be a huge variation in prices. Just my opinion, but I think it's safe enough to buy gold in Turkey but be vary careful when buying gemstones.

A word of warning: If you have jewellery (e.g. engagement ring) with gemstones don't let it out of your sight to be cleaned in any country unless you trust the jeweller.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
Gold hallmark
pakistani gold is also the same, no hallmark, but just through knowing the jewllers and quality and speaking to them, you know its 24K....

aitchij

aitch
Gold hallmark
Whats the place called please as there are quite a few in Olu Deniz and I am a really softie when it comes to Gold I like good heavy weight gold thats a bit more unusual. I have seen a few beautiful pieces in the Olu Deniz shops but sadly for me each time I spotted they were closed.

Crystalclear

I get all my stuff from Mustafa ar Royal Jewelery there used to be quite a few shops but i heard that a couple have closed. but mutafa is still there.
We will be back down in August (silver wedding) When I bought my last ring I said "remember Mustafa if this is not what its meant to be I will be on the first flight back". he just laughed and said" dont waste the airfare just fax me the valuation I will put the money back on your credit card and you can keep the ring. He knew his money was safe...Gail

Ceni

Ceni
Gold hallmark
I've bought a few rings and chains since being here and each one has the content of the gold stamped on the item.

I guess the only advice is only buy from a reputable jeweller, and there's plenty to choose from :eek:).

I have my favorite "man" and if I'm after something I will go to him and him only, I've been buying from him for over 5 years and trust him.

If anyone wants to know who, PM me and you can go meet him for yourself, he is currently in Hisaronu.

Gold hallmark
I have bought lots of Gold from all over Turkey, what I usually do is get it checked out with another jeweller never had a problem all been genuine. The price of Gold is high at the moment, when I went to Cesme last September I took lots of bits of gold jewellry some from UK 9 carat, just odd backs of earings odd earings as I had lost one broken bracelets, got them weighed in and got over £200.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom