Lynn2

lynn2
Going back to UK ?
It would be interesting to see how many are seriously thinking of going back to UK. I know there are myriad reasons why people have. Has it been that the large increase in the residency fee is "the final straw" ???

Summertime

Golden Girls
Going back to UK ?
It would be interesting to see how many are seriously thinking of going back to UK. I know there are myriad reasons why people have. Has it been that the large increase in the residency fee is "the final straw" ???
How easy is it to move back to UK, when people have sold up their houses in Uk and have bought expensive houses in Turkey, and cant get the same price if they sell?

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Going back to UK ?
My husband took early retirement 6 years ago. We have lived here very happily all that time and yes the residence visa is a shock, interest rates are a bigger shock but ask yourself what is the cost of living in the UK. Yes some things are cheaper but council tax well we would be paying well over £1,000 now, just paid the coming years tax here - 10,86 tl each how cheap is that. I do not think that we could afford to live in the UK now and certainly even with Global Warming??? would we get the amount of sun. There are always problems wherever you choose to live so I say make the best of what you have and be thankful for the ups.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Going back to UK ?
I am sure this will not help!

I think the hardest thing about surviving in Turkey is the almost impossible task of making a living.

A foreigner legally coming to Britain has an easy enough task setting up a business and certainly no problem getting a job. But in Turkey all the laws are stacked against you.

Even those in retirement on decent pensions struggle with interest rates affecting their income and health care costs being a real concern.

Those who stashed money in the Turkish banks and lived off the interest will have had their income significantly reduced.

I am stuck in the UK waiting to return to Turkey but I have real worries about how we will make a living when we return. It has not been easy going back to the UK with no home or job and starting from scratch with debts to pay thanks to being very stupid in Turkey. To fail on our return is not an option - getting too old for all this :)

matty

Going back to UK ?
Hi
Personally No intentions of returning in the near future..But never say Never!!
I think, if people are living from bank interest alone here..They would certainly be thinking about returning back to the U.K...It must be very difficult to survive here now on interest only!
I feel Turkey is No longer a cheap place to live!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Going back to UK ?
Didn,t buy an expensive villa over here but perhaps that,s because we bought some years ago. Prices are not so attractive these days. Having said that we can easily live here on our interest and my pensions without needing both. Going back to UK ? Certainly not in the foreseeable future but never say never.

puwer98

Going back to UK ?
If you had done your maths depending on your age, then you should have seen if you had enough to live here before you moved.

I always took interest rates as a bonus.

Briand

Going back to UK ?
We have a place in Didim/Altinkum and a home in the UK we spend 6 to eight months a year in Turkey and the remainder of the time in the UK.
We have a little bit of money invested in Turkey and both have small pensions . At the moment it is working well for us and we enjoy the time we spend in Turkey but also look forward to coming home and spending time with the family. We intend to continue like this until we are either too old to make the travelling or when the money runs out.

You only have one chance in life and we chose to take it.

Briand.

puwer98

Going back to UK ?
I am not yet, the wife is, Juco has a small program to work out if you can afford to live here, as him to send it you.

We used it before we moved here 2 years ago

ZiaCa'

Going back to UK ?
Is there anyone on this Forum who is not a pensioner?

I'm not and I think it makes a difference as to how people cope financially in Turkey, because I think a pension would go a lot further in Turkey than in the UK.

I still work and run a business in the UK as can't work legally in Turkey. That's still working out for me (along with some investments).

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom