traveller

Getting a Turkish Driving Licence
[FONT=&quot]A how to do it guide -[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I know there are many posts on this forum on this subject and I’m indebted to the person who originally posted a guide (emailed to me by a friend), without their instructions we wouldn’t have known where to start. Following in their footsteps we found that a few things had changed, so I thought that an up to date version might be helpful to others. We completed this process in Fethiye last Friday 9th Jan 2009 so it’s pretty current. All costs quoted are what we paid and are per person, yours may vary if you use different translators/photographers etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Before you begin make sure you have the following items with you throughout the process as you will need one or more of them at each stage: UK Driving Licence, Passport, Residence Permit, Tax number, *passport size photos, Kimlik number (see other posts on how to obtain this).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And loads of money.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Take your UK licence to a translator for it to be translated into Turkish and ask them for 3 copies. We used Baris – cost 20YTL.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. After you have collected your translated copies, take them to a noter to get them notarised.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We used Noter No:3 in the building opposite Ziraat Bank. He will keep 2 copies and give you one back all stamped up - cost 46 YTL[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. Go to a photographer and get some *passport size photos done. We used the one in the street behind Cem Optics. He did 8 photos for 5YTL. (you will need 5)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. (You can skip this step if you have a printer/copier at home).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Take your notarised licence copy and your residence permit to a photocopy shop and get 2 copies of the notarised licence and 1 copy of your residence permit, all relevant pages, 1 to 7 should cover it. Usually about 1YTL per copy. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. Go to the government clinic, it’s on the left side of the canal as you come in from the sea front end of Fethiye (opposite the big Arçalik sign). As you enter turn right and on your right is a cubicle, tell the man you want a KAN GRUBU KARTI (blood group card) and a SAĞLIK RAPARU (health report). He will ask for your passport (We gave him residence permits as well) and a photo, he will give you a form to fill in, just name, address, mother & fathers names, date of birth nothing technical.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You will then see the doctor who asks a few questions and gets you to read from the eye test chart, if you don’t have anything official with your blood group on, they will send you upstairs to have a blood test. You will now be given your blood group card and your health report. No charge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. Now go to the MALIYE (Tax office a bit further along from Yakamoz). Go to the front and enter the right hand door and go straight forward to the desk on the left called OTV VERASAT. Give him your doctor’s report (he might ask for passport as well). He will issue you with a form and send you to the payment desk opposite (left hand side queue), give him the form, he will pass you to the man next to him who will take 213YTL from you and issue a receipt.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. Go to the COURT HOUSE, (the big pink building on the intersection half way to Çalis) follow the signs for KAYDI, the office you want is signed ADLYSCY BUROSO. Show your translated licence and residence permit and he will print a form and ask you to sign it (make sure he has your name spelled right). The form will then be stamped and given to you. (This is your criminal record check). Cost 5YTL.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Almost there now, assemble all your documents to take to the TRAFFIC POLICE.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You should now have:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 3 copies of the translated licence[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Original UK Licence[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Health report and blood group card[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Document from the court[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Document and receipt from the Maliye[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The photocopy of your residence permit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 3 passport size photos[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Passport & Residence Permit [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Kimlik number[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]8. Go to the TRAFIC POLICE (on the Patlangiç road, past Tedaş and about 100 yards after the Hiyundia Showroom on the right, the blue building. There are a row of windows on the left of the building, go to the last one just round the corner called SURUCU BELEGESI give them all your documents. They put your folder together and ask you to sign a form, eventually they will ask you to sign a small card, make sure you keep within the box on this. They will give you back your passport & residence permit and a stamped and signed copy of the translated licence in case you get stopped. They will then put another form into a brown envelope (with a post-it note on the front) to the EMNIYET MÜRDÜRĞLÜ. Cost 40YTL for the application + 15YTL for the folder (obligatory) + 35YTL for a courier service which we declined and said “Post them”. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]9. Take your brown envelope to the EMNIYET MÜRDÜRĞLÜ in Fethiye, it’s the building next to Iş Bank opposite the PTT. Show it to the guard at the door and he will direct you, up two flights of stairs and turn left, it’s the office facing you along the corridor. Give them the envelope and they will ask for your passport and a photo (give them your residence permit as well). This is where your KIMLIK number comes in, the traffic police will have put this number on the form in the brown envelope, but the chap at the Emniyet didn’t know what this number was, fortunately we had copies of ours and showed these to him. You will now be finger printed. This law only came into force 2 months ago and is applied to ALL new applicants, foreign or turkish. They will fill out a form on computer (again check that all spellings are correct) and then print off your record.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A copy of your record will be put back in the envelope which you must now take back to the Traffic Police. No charge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]EUREKA!! you are done, you can now relax and wait the 1 to 3 months for your new licence to arrive (by post) a week to 10 days by courier.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Long winded I know but you don’t have to do it all in one day, bear in mind that most of the places you need to visit have lunch somewhere between 12 and 1.30. Once done the new licence is yours for life, and if your UK licence runs out you can drive on your Turkish licence in England for 6 months. [/FONT]

turtle-webs

Off to do mine week after next during the school holidays - thanks for the guide.

What a great posting:3:
Is it a must that you have to have residents permit & kimlik number.

traveller

Hi Susan

I think it is necessary to have a residents permit, if you are using the 90 day tourist visa option then you don't need a turkish licence you can get away with driving on your UK one.
The Kimlik number can only be obtained if you have a residents permit as you need to enter the number of it to get the kimlik number, hope that helps.

traveller

Sorry - sent it twice AGAIN it's the delay thingy got me confused. Duurrrr

Last edited:

Lindacm

Hi Susan

I think it is necessary to have a residents permit, if you are using the 90 day tourist visa option then you don't need a turkish licence you can get away with driving on your UK one.
The Kimlik number can only be obtained if you have a residents permit as you need to enter the number of it to get the kimlik number, hope that helps.

Hi Traveller,

To date, I have not found anyone who can give me the law number stating that expats have to have a Turkish driving licence.

I haven't found anyone who can tell me that it is a requirement to have a Turkish one even if you live here. A friend has visited the police station to be told no. A contact at a solicitor's office also said no. I asked an Allianz motor insurance agent, he also said no.

One other person who said one was required after talking to the police, has yet to provide a law number for this. The police chief said it existed, but could not find the law number. This was in Dec; and I am still waiting.

Can anyone provide the law number stating that it is a legal requirement to have a Turkish licence if you reside here?

Thanks,

Linda

traveller

Hi Lindacm

Afraid I don't know the Law No: We decided to do ours after hearing from other expats, and threads on this forum, to the effect that if you were resident here (i.e. had a residence permit) then the police and/or your insurance company "might" not be best pleased if you continued to drive on a UK licence for longer than 6 months.

We did our comprehensive insurance with Baris and asked him about this, his comment was that his clients had not had any problems with their insurance but that the police "could" say that your UK licence was invalid and fine you, apparently in some areas the police are aware of this and enforcing it but in others they either don't know or aren't bothered.

There were also rumours that it wouldn't be long before expats would have to sit the actual driving test and would not be able to just apply without test if they already had a valid UK licence. We thought it better to be legit, but it's up to the individual I guess.

Lindacm

Hi Lindacm

Afraid I don't know the Law No: We decided to do ours after hearing from other expats, and threads on this forum, to the effect that if you were resident here (i.e. had a residence permit) then the police and/or your insurance company "might" not be best pleased if you continued to drive on a UK licence for longer than 6 months.

We did our comprehensive insurance with Baris and asked him about this, his comment was that his clients had not had any problems with their insurance but that the police "could" say that your UK licence was invalid and fine you, apparently in some areas the police are aware of this and enforcing it but in others they either don't know or aren't bothered.

There were also rumours that it wouldn't be long before expats would have to sit the actual driving test and would not be able to just apply without test if they already had a valid UK licence. We thought it better to be legit, but it's up to the individual I guess.

Hi Traveller.

Yes, I can understand you not wanting to sit a Turkish driving test. I don't think I would want to either. We were told by our insurance agent that it was a way of getting expats to spend more money, but not required by law.

After asking around, including at the police station, we have not been able to get to the bottom of this.

Linda

Lindacm

I have been trying to find out for some time what the legal requirements are to drive in Turkey, if you live here. There have been several different opinions from various parties. Each time I have asked them to provide proof by way of a law number.

I have today received the following:-

I would like to inform you that we received the following answer from General Directorate of Security Traffic Services Department regarding your question on driving licences;

"It is not compulsory for foreigners who stay in Turkey uninterrupted for 6 months or more to change their driving licences to Turkish driving licence according to Highway Traffic Regulation No 88 "

So you have right to file an appeal if the traffic police stops you & fines you for not having Turkish Driving Licence. However, please keep in your mind that according to Turkish system first you need to pay the fine & then you can file an appeal for it.

Hope this clears up what the current law states.

Linda

Bibby

Ferretbrain
We got so fed up with the uncertainty that we decided to get the translation done. Fingers crossed that suffices.

teresa

Free Thinker
But first you have to pay the fine and then fight to get it back - even though there is no fine to pay because you have not broken the law.

Yep, it all makes sense now LOL

After living here for a few years, and after seeing the above posts and the lengthy ones over the last few months I today visited the Mugla Polis Yabanci department and spoke to them. I asked them if I needed a Turkish driving licence as I lived here permanently and had a full UK laminated licence. Their answer was NO. They told me that the UK licence with the EU symbol on it (even though Turkey is not in the EU) was recognised and legal as far as the Polis were concerned.
I also asked if I needed to have a Turkish translation to accompany it. The answer was NO, the officer again repeating his earlier point as above.
The Polis pointed out to me that many stories are circulating amongst the ex-pat community, and according to Mugla Polis, they are wrong.
I asked if the law was any different in other parts of Turkey. The answer was NO.
I then visited my insurance company and asked if I needed a Turkish driving licence in order for my policy to be valid. The answer was NO. The UK laminated photo licence was all I needed to be legal.
By total coincidence I was stopped at a Polis roadblock about 2hrs agao and had to produce my driving licence and documents. Before the officer waved me on, I asked him if I should have a Turkish licence. He said NO and pointed out all Polis in Turkey are now issued with the details of the different groups shown on a UK licence (A, B, C, D etc) and know who is entitled to drive what type of vehicle.
I will not therefore be applying for my Turkish licence at this stage!!!

So all we have to do is renew our UK license every 10 years.
Can you have a UK license with Turkish address & if so will DVLA post out to Turkey but whether it arrives is another matter with PTT.

LyndaW

So all we have to do is renew our UK license every 10 years.
Can you have a UK license with Turkish address & if so will DVLA post out to Turkey but whether it arrives is another matter with PTT.

I'm sure you need a uk address. I did mine last October when i was visiting my mum. It took five days for my new one to arrive.

Lynda x

Bibby

Ferretbrain
This is from the British Honorary Consulate...

"Thank you for your enquiry. Because of the number of the enquiries we received from the community we liaised with the deputy chief of police who's in charge at the traffic department in Fethiye. According to the information we obtained from him, the foreigners who've been resident in Turkey for more than 6 months or 1 year have to apply for a Turkish driving licence, the translation of driving licence would not be accepted. If not they could be fined."

Add this old ( -June 2008) info to all the other info that has been batting about for a while and it is dismaying.

Lindacm

But first you have to pay the fine and then fight to get it back - even though there is no fine to pay because you have not broken the law.

Yep, it all makes sense now LOL

Yes, I agree...clear as mud LOL

Lindacm

After living here for a few years, and after seeing the above posts and the lengthy ones over the last few months I today visited the Mugla Polis Yabanci department and spoke to them. I asked them if I needed a Turkish driving licence as I lived here permanently and had a full UK laminated licence. Their answer was NO. They told me that the UK licence with the EU symbol on it (even though Turkey is not in the EU) was recognised and legal as far as the Polis were concerned.
I also asked if I needed to have a Turkish translation to accompany it. The answer was NO, the officer again repeating his earlier point as above.
The Polis pointed out to me that many stories are circulating amongst the ex-pat community, and according to Mugla Polis, they are wrong.
I asked if the law was any different in other parts of Turkey. The answer was NO.
I then visited my insurance company and asked if I needed a Turkish driving licence in order for my policy to be valid. The answer was NO. The UK laminated photo licence was all I needed to be legal.
By total coincidence I was stopped at a Polis roadblock about 2hrs agao and had to produce my driving licence and documents. Before the officer waved me on, I asked him if I should have a Turkish licence. He said NO and pointed out all Polis in Turkey are now issued with the details of the different groups shown on a UK licence (A, B, C, D etc) and know who is entitled to drive what type of vehicle.
I will not therefore be applying for my Turkish licence at this stage!!!

Good post. I did pretty much as you did, but the constant scaremongering around made me double & triple check. Everything is as you say. Although I was told it would be better to have your U.K licence translated.

Linda

Lindacm

This is from the British Honorary Consulate...

"Thank you for your enquiry. Because of the number of the enquiries we received from the community we liaised with the deputy chief of police who's in charge at the traffic department in Fethiye. According to the information we obtained from him, the foreigners who've been resident in Turkey for more than 6 months or 1 year have to apply for a Turkish driving licence, the translation of driving licence would not be accepted. If not they could be fined."

Add this old ( -June 2008) info to all the other info that has been batting about for a while and it is dismaying.

If it doesn't have a law number relating to this then it cannot be oficial. I agree a bit of a bother fighting a fine that should not have been made in the 1st place...but how can they fine you if you're not breaking the law!!

Bibby

Ferretbrain
What gets me about that is the info was got from the Deputy Cheif of Police in Fethiye. Where did HE got that info from, or did he pluck it from thin air?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom