parrot

Gerry's paedophile cover up
Interesting story in yesterdays,you've guessed it,Mail about the president of Sinn Fein Gerry Adams's father and brother being known child sex abusers.The report states about his father being a well known peado,known as "the dirty wee man"and"the baby sitter" and his brother abusing his daughter,Adams niece.This came to light when the daughter raised the issue with the police after this had been concealed for years.Adams said this had been like a bereavement to him,poor him,what about his neice.Her father has legged it,failing to appear in court.
The other issue being about republican claims about their justice being handed out to drug dealers and sex offenders,sometimes even death,seems to me they missed a few or were these two to close to home.
A case of do as I say not as I do.
This comes close on the heals of the other scandal involving the catholic church which Sinn Fein,rather hypocritically,roundly condemned.

Last edited by a moderator:

carolk

R.I.P
Re: Gerrys peadophile cover up

I understood form the news he has handed himself in at a police station in Silo?

You would surprised how many families cover this kind of thing up. Every one knows and says nothing!

hijo

in my own clique

..innocent until proven guilty...:hearnoevi

alison09400

I wouldn't call it a cover up.

Gerry Adams said in an interview with the Belfast Telegraph that it came to light in the '90s about his father physically, emotionally and sexually abusing his family although Gerry says he has no recollection of being abused himself.

He said that he wanted his father's actions to be publically known when he died but he said he had to think of those still alive and what they would have to live through and it was something that all of his siblings would have to agree to first.

He didn't know of his brother abusing his daughter until she reported it recently. He has asked his brother to give himself up.

pipermam

It is hard to judge until you walk in another person's shoes. Imagine what it would be like for you to have to deal with the fact that your father and brother were known as child abusers.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...

Gerry says that during the 'troubles' he never slept in the same house two nights in a row.

It now transpires it wasn't the British Army he was hiding from but his father and brother :lol:....

C

Guz1

I have heard bits of this story on the radio. From what I heard, Gerry Adams was supportive of his niece. It seems that he was also supportive of those abused by his father and urged them to make a complaint to the police. There is no suggestion that Gerry Adams either abused anyone or covered up abuse.

The latest news here is that his brother did report to the police in Sligo but was released because there was no European warrant from the PSNI.

giglets

Whilst I can appreciate the tremendous internal pressure faced by the Adams family, as a whole, as to what was the "right thing to do" in these terrible circumstances, I cannot help but feel there has been a massive play of double standards by Gerry Adams here.
He was first informed about the allegations against his brother approx 20yrs ago and was aware of his father's activities in the early 90's.
He allowed Gerry Snr to be buried 6yrs ago, draped in the Irish Flag, with his reputation as a noted activist intact.
He is the President of Sinn Fein, a party which has recently called for the identities of all paedophiles to be made public, and which, in the past has sanctioned numerous punishment beatings/shootings against the perpetrators of such depravities.
Seems to me, that, as not only one of the leading Republicans in Ireland, but also as an Internationally recognised statesman (?), he should have applied the same tough standards to his own kith and kin, as his Party has been long advocating should be applied to everyone else.
If not, then it is definitely a case of "Do as I say, not as I do".
Once again, a politician not living up to the "hype".

Dave

jolo

I can't imagine what this and many other families in a similar situations are feeling. Every day must bring some kind of reminder of the abuse they suffered.

Fathers are meant to be there to protect their children from anything that takes away their innocence, hurts them or disturbs their peace of mind. The emotional pain and consequences of growing up with a father who is an abuser must be extremely difficult to come to terms with. I understand that the children of abusers are torn apart by the conflict of love for their parent (the abuser) and hatred for what they do and are capable of doing. There is also the feeling of not wanting people to know that they have been abused.

What a dreadful secret to carry around with you for all of your childhood and adult life. I think we can all only thank god that we had a normal childhood with parents who protected and loved us in the way parents should.

Jolo

Tess

Whilst not being a fan of many of the Northern Ireland politicians I also think it is safe to say 'we can pick our friends, but not our relatives' - coming from a very large extended family (my Mum one of 13) I try never to say too much or judge, cos I never know what will come back to haunt me someday.
I desperately feel for those in this family or indeed in any family subjected to any degree of abuse and I hope they find the strength to find some sort of normality and peace of mind.

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...

Good comment Sharon. Although I would have no truck with Gerry Adams for the part he played in the suffering of the people of N Ireland and beyond, I would wish this situation on no-one.

I can't help but wonder though if this 'revelation' was about to hit the news and he's got in first to lessen the impact? I mean, why say nothing for so long?

C

Tess

Good comment Sharon. Although I would have no truck with Gerry Adams for the part he played in the suffering of the people of N Ireland and beyond, I would wish this situation on no-one.

I can't help but wonder though if this 'revelation' was about to hit the news and he's got in first to lessen the impact? I mean, why say nothing for so long?

C

Inclined to agree with you Ceemac.
I myself am not a lover of the man for the same reasons but would not wish this situation on anyone.

Guz1

I think the story broke because his niece waived her right to anonymity. As far as I know, all sex abuse victims have a right to anonymity. I didn't catch all the tv and radio reports, nor did I read the newspaper articles but from what I heard his comments were a response to journalists' questions. I don't see how he can be accused of "getting in first" considering that any public comment from him could have revealed the victims' identity.

P.S. I'm not his official spokesperson.

Saoirse

Good comment Sharon. Although I would have no truck with Gerry Adams for the part he played in the suffering of the people of N Ireland and beyond

C

If we were to list all those including many from your own community who were/are responsible for that we would need an awful lot of bandwidth.

The fact is try as many might, there is no political or religious aspect to this story just the awful story, unfortunately prevalent in too many families of the possibility of the horrendous act of child abuse

parrot

If we were to list all those including many from your own community who were/are responsible for that we would need an awful lot of bandwidth.

The fact is try as many might, there is no political or religious aspect to this story just the awful story, unfortunately prevalent in too many families of the possibility of the horrendous act of child abuse
This is very true but it's the double standards employed,you get kneecapped or worse and there were many who were,unless you are a member of the Adams family whereby you have carte blanche to perv with immunity.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom