lakegl

General Update
Hi
We are just back from a week. Great fun but very, very hot. Hit 42 one day and never below 27 at night which makes sleeping difficult.
As reported, there are now water and electric meters in the sold apartments. Utku will download the first amount for you and you pay him when you get there. The maximum amount is 100 tl each. Then he has to activate the meters with a mastercard, gives you a card for each which you insert and you are up and running. Hopefully!
You then download as you need and keep your own cards to do this.
The meters gives you a constant reading which you can read as you start and leave a holiday -not quite sure how you will manage if you want to let though. I thought it worked out a bit expensive, electric wise. About 50p an hour for air con and you really do need it this time of the year.
Yes, the mosis are viscious but I believe we got bitten more eating out by the sea at night since we kept the windows shut in the apartment and used the fans, air con. Repellent is a must for the evenings and they do tend to go for the ankles and feet.
The pools all look nice and there are now more sunbeds.
They have built a second pool bar at the Apollon pool and on friday delivered the fridge ready for some food and drink to be had there. We met Carole and she seems very keen and business-like. Hopes to be up and running by this weekend.
Most of the plants are taking and some of the grass but it is (quite literally) an uphill struggle, this weather. Kamal, the gardener is a good guy, great fun and always willing to join in. Most eveings we gathered at the Apollon poolside after our meal and sometimes Ufuk and Halil came to, also some of the young guys who live/work on the site. We took drinks to share but Ufuk always brought some fruit and nuts etc and we had great fun even though we could not all speak the same language. For me that community spirit was great!
We met John, Mia and their neighbours, Gladys (what a girl!) and Luke and Abbey.
We took three of our teenagers and they loved it - especially the night time visits to Altinkum! There is something for every one.
We had some great meals in Akbuk and a lovely, lively boat trip.
We will make some recommendations re meals and outings etc in another thread.
I have posted some general photos - not many of the site as it hasn't changed much since June when I last posted photos.
Hope this helps everyone. We had such a good time and can't wait to go again in September - 2 weeks this time!
Hope to see some of you then
Glenda and Keith

Jon & Mia

General Update
Just to add to Glenda's update (which covers most of the good stuff) there are a few negatives to be aware of.
The water pressure in our block (and many others I understand) is very low. If you stand in the shower with the shower head in the clip the water doesn't reach you. The water quality is also poor, probably muck from the building site which has got into the pipes and hasn't flushed through yet but we were cleaning the filter on the taps every other day to keep the flow anything like acceptable.
Utku has acknowleged there is a problem - and a solution which will cost about 250 Euros per appartment. i am checking with my solicitor whether this cost should fall on us bearing in mind they have a duty to deliver the appartments in habitable condition.
The central satellite system has also been incorrectly specified and while the dishes are there the box which splits the dishes among the 6 appartments is not. Again they want US to pay 30 TL to provide the connection (unless you buy the box from them of course when it is included - but their boxes are 50 euro more than the equivalent in town)
Once again I believe they have a commitment to provide a centarlised system which we can simply plug into without paying for anything more.
The WiFi access which has replaced the Internet cafe on the original spec only works in the sales office (although it is supposed to work in the pool area too but I could never get a signal - and a swimming pool is not a good place to have a laptop) I asked Utku when they planned to have the access in every appartment as we originally promised and the answer was "probably never"
I have again queried this with my solicitor as it was part of the sales pitch.
It would be simple to provide WiFi in the appartments but would cost a few pounds per appartment per year and Ufuk seems unwilling to pay this.
The fountains near the pools are switched off as the water pressure is not high enough and they have left the water in the trough at the top which is now growing Alage and attracts Mossies.
When we took possession of the appartment there were quite a few problems and we kept finding more through the week. However Utku was helpful and arranged workmen quite quickly for most things although he was reluctant on others and needed to be pursuaded. the temptation in the end is to just accept the odd broken tile etc, but why should you on a new build. If you accept it and later have problems due to water getting underneath it will be your money paying for the expensive remedy.
There is a big problem with many of the bathrooms in that they have built them in the center of the block with no window and no ventilation system. This means that any steam from a shower will lead to damp unless you leave the door open afterwards to air the room thoroughly. (if you rent the appartment will your guests bother?) there is also a problem with smells from the drains which we couldn't isolate - of course this may just be our appartment. Neither of these problems have a simple solution and are a clear design fault. Apparently the problem was pointed out by an architect at an early stage but they pushed ahead anyway.
We didn't find a problem with Mossies - maybe they don't like heights - although we had mossie screens custom built and fitted on three patio doors, two windows and the bathroom vent for about £360.
Enough of the negatives - after a week of hard graft we had rectified many of the small problems and tidied up much of the careless plaster work and grouting. The appartments do look and feel luxurious and the view is even better than I remembered. Once we had the patio furniture and sunbeds it was tempting to stay in the appartment all day.
The plants are struggling a little to take at the moment (and they are watered by hand rather than an irregation system which I would have thought essential) but once established and thickened will make all the difference. I would have liked to see a little more grren on the site rather than just outside the sales office and the provision of a few mature trees and bushes would have taken away the "bare" feel of the complex. but these are early days. I guess the plants will find it easier to take in the autumn and next spring when the weather is more forgiving.
I'm sorry if this update seems negative. On the whole I am delighted with my appartment but I thought is best to raise these issues so that people are aware and can make their own representations. I am not trying to raise an angry mob, but equally we should not be too quick to accept failures to deliver on the contract.
Jon

Last edited:

ralph

General Update
I agree110% that it is grossly unfair and unacceptable to put up with so many shortcomings when some of us have payed well over the current market price and given a specification and description based on which we bought the property (ies). We must protest and persue with vigour rectifications to them all!

lakegl

General Update
I agree - I particularly don't think we should have to pay to put the water situation right.
The situation with the meters also needs investigation. I have noticed that the cards we are issued are from electromed (the utilty supplier) but are stamped with the ufuk hillside logo. I for one have had no contract offered which states the rates we are expected to pay for electricity which seems to me to be very expensive.
Some hillsiders out at the moment will try to assess how much a week's average use costs and some of us are asking utku for notifiication of the rates which we are being charged.
From looking at the other threads on this forum I can see that others (not hillsiders)have an economy night time rate. I feel we need to find out for sure what rate we are paying, if we are paying over the odds for getting it this way and what the options are before we are too committed.
What does anyone else feel?
Glenda and Keith

General Update
I agree as I said in previous thread we paid 100 TL for our water which Utku said would last about 2 weeks, at current rate that works out to £42.00. I think that is very expensive. Wr do not pay that much in the UK.

Regards

Ian and Alison

Marian

General Update
Me too. we had not been asked if we wanted metres. This was just imposed on his. we should have a say if we want metres or not. It is not in our contract to have metres and these properties belong to us and we did pay for the metres so we should have say.

I met some people that live in Akbuk, they own there appartment and the bills for light and water are very cheap comapred to what we have to pay.

ralph

General Update
Unless we form a united opposition to all these unfair extortionist practices we will be exploited and ripped off time & again. It is high time that a petition is prepared about our grieviences and the urgent matters which need rectification such as water pressure and blockages, smells etc. It should be translated and handed over to Mr Ufuk with a firm resolve that we will not be walked over and enough is enough and we will stop paying the maintenance and go as a delegation to the Mayor and other regional authorities including member of parliament etc. The kind of approach we have here in the UK.

Bill & June

Dreaming of Akbuk
General Update
Hi Ralph,
We agree with everything you say, Ufuk are just ignoring us and trampling on our rights. We did not sign up to water meters nor electricity meters, it is just bad manners and ignorance from Ufuk to ignore our concerns, but they are very quick to ask for more money for the slightest thing. I think a large petition is the best way forward.
Best Wishes,
Bill & June.

Madwife

General Update
Yes, I agree too. We've been having BIG water problems, as you are all probably aware of now (I have moaned an awful lot!) We paid 100 TL on our water card, which we then used for 4 days before we left. The units used was negligible (maybe that's because we can't GET much water???) So I think Utku is a bit off the mark when he reckons that 100TL will only last a fortnight.

Reading your posts, do I take it that the electric meters have been installed too? If so is it the same situation as the water? ie no electric till we put some credit on the card? As we are arriving at 2.00 in the morning in Sept, do we need candles and a primus?

It really is annoying about the shortcomings, as you've all been saying, these were part of the sales pitch. To find that they're not going to be available after all is such gross misrepresentation it makes me want to hit someone. Mind you, these aren't as bad as when we discovered our 3 bed apartment had become a 2 bed instead without our knowledge. What an outfit! And we paid the top price for ours, before the price cuts and offers were made. I really would think twice about recommending anyone to buy here, lovely as it is.

We've got one of those bathrooms with no ventilation. We're going to install a vent in the door and an extractor (into the hallway). Leaving the door open is the only answer, which is fine till you try to open the front door! And, I have to confess, when we left 2 weeks ago, half asleep, we forgot to leave it open. Goodness knows what's going to greet us in Sept!

Keep the posts coming; it's so good to hear what's going on from you all

LOL, Lynne

lakegl

General Update
I have today emailed Utku to ask for the contracted rates we would be under if we stayed with this system - they must be obliged to put something in writing. Let's try to get something definite from him and then we know what we are objecting to.
Also by next week some of those, also concerned, who have been out there monitoring use should be able to report back
I will let you know when I hear from Utku but we are with you all on this one.
Glenda and Keith

General Update
Hi All,

We have just returned back from Hillside and echo much of what has been said. Madwife good news is that last night in Zeus E block we managed a shower - it appears that they have fitted a pump of some discription to rectify the water pressure problems - what ever they did worked for the last night of our holiday. Bad news it is makes a hell of a racket - when sat on our balcony as all you can hear is the pump clicking in and out.

We were only issued with one card which we had to credit 200tl a 100 for each water and electric ( we were told by Utku that 100 TI was the minimum amount you could credit) - electric does seam to eat off the pennies. Utku told us we were on normal government tarrif but would not commit to what that was - cost per unit does seam high.

We were informed of intention of Ufuk to charge each owner another 250eu to fix water due to filtration problems - they say this is not the repsonsiblity of the builder as the water is fed by the water company and is known within Akbuk to be full of silt - they need to fix the problem now to save us money in the future as all pipes will fur up and cause many more problems and possibly higher cost to owners at some future date.

Kronus pool has 9 sun beds 5 with mattresses and 2 brollies - Appolon pool has 10 sun beds 5 with mats and 2 brollies - Zeus pool has 5 sun beds only. Kronus and Apollon communal areas are almost finished and well tendered - Zeus appears to be the poor relation. Zeus D and E blocks feel very neglected we are living on dirt roads with no pathway. Staircases outside D have no hand rail and both staircases Zeus D nad E are full of rubble - makeshift path between D and E block is a health and safety disaster. No plan to make any changes until at least September / October when out side of the apts will be grassed with some sort of path in situ not block paving as per the rest of the site which we believe is wrong as not in keeping with the rest of the site.

Appollon pool has an extra bar area next to the origional one - seating, tables, fridges etc.. arrived Tuesday and was set up on Wednesday evening - aparently the pool bar and restraunt opened for business Wed eveining we were not informed so did not attend - pretty poor PR considering the management say if is not supported then they will close. No plans to open restraurant down stairs - only on pool side.

We would support any forum challange to meters and wifi access as we have not been consulted and tarrif costs do seam to be high.

Other than that weather glorious, complex other than Zeus D and E looking great and views to die for.

Regards Chris and Karen

lakegl

General Update
Hi all
Just out of interest - go lower down these threads to the forum which deals with queries re electricity then read the one called 'electric price hikes'

As ever it gives answers to questions which others have asked before us and may help us to understand our current situation.

I have copied and pasted a bit about the available tariffs:

Quote:

The three tariffs are

1. Gunduz (standard rate) runs between 0.600 and 17.00

2. Puant (highest) runs between 17.00 and 22.00 (70% more than the standard rate)

3. Gece (lowest) runs between 22.00 and 6.00 (half the standard rate)

End of quote.

It seems that our meters need to be configured to allow this.

Also, there is some suggestion that until the site is complete it is quite common to have to 'buy' electricity from the builder.

Also, others are complaining that it has become very difficult to let properties under these circumstances.

Hope it helps - still waiting for a reply from Utku.

Glenda and Keith

Jon & Mia

General Update
is it the same situation as the water? ie no electric till we put some credit on the card? As we are arriving at 2.00 in the morning in Sept, do we need candles and a primus?

Lynn

Don't worry about arriving without electric. If you contact Utku he will preload 100TL on each and you can pay him at your leisure.

Water usage seems fine to me - Utku accidentally put 300TL on mine instead of 100 - I said that I would accept (and pay for) that rather than mess around trying to remove credit. By the end of my week I had hardly used any water at all (maybe the meter is broken like many other things?)

Electric on the other hand is very quickly used. The meters went in about 3 days into our stay and we therefore used them for 4 days. On the day before we left we had used over half the allowance - so this equates to about 20TL (£8) a day

We have fitted low energy bulbs and we have a fridge freezer. The cooker runs on gas so the only real "user" is the Air Con. Two of our units were energy rated A (which I'm told should be less that 15p an hour (figures from a manufacturers website) The third (installed later) has no energy rating shown anywhere (they have probably found a cheaper model which is probably far less energy efficient)

We were careful with our use of Air Con, turning it off when we went out and setting the timer for just before our return. We also had mossie screens installed so that we can open both patio doors and get a through draft - again saving the Air Con,

So £8 seems steep. This will be £56 a week - and if you rent your appeartment you can bet the guests will leave Air con on 24/7 - probably with the doors and windows open. which will probably tripple the costs.

For that reason the meter is a good idea (you can put £25 on the card and tell guests that they have to top up if they use more)

Jon

Last edited:

Zeussarje

General Update
Hello fellow Ufukers.
I have kept in touch with the Forum via my wife, I like many other fortunate (or not!) buyers on the Hillside, has spent, what is to me, a small fortune, on a place that doesn’t look like ever getting finished, let alone live up to the sales pitch.
I spent even more on 4 expensive visits, in an effort to get my apartment habitable for my Daughters honeymoon, more wasted money; they spent 2 weeks paddling in dust, with little and often, no water, and a very sporadic shuttle bus service. I was so obsessed with my own apartment, I missed the bigger picture. It’s time we stopped thinking individually, cracked tiles here and there, finishing not up to what we would expect at home etc, and concentrate on getting the complex sorted out.
The roadways are a disgrace, I don’t even have one up to my bloke, or look like getting one. The pools, now they are eventually filled, have never to my knowledge been cleaned, it’s no use just throwing chemicals in, (assuming they do, I’ve never witnessed it), The fountains/waterfalls have never been working , the reservoirs now serving as a mozzie breeding ground, blown rubbish and dust collector and little else. They haven’t even bothered to clean the excess grout off them, rather than a beautiful feature, they’re an eye sore. What little furniture has been provided has been installed above the site office, to impress possible future buyers no doubt, not with us in mind. The footpaths and stairs, where complete, let alone started, are a hazard, covered in building materials, rocks, railing off cuts and pop rivet shafts, an accident waiting to happen. I know greenery takes time to get established, but first you have to plant it. Around my block, I not only have no path, at all, but the meagre plant life installed, is so inadequately watered and maintained I doubt it will survive long enough to get a foothold.
I’ve learned to turn a blind eye to the faults in my apartment, until I have time to do them myself, but I’m getting more incensed with the state of everything outside of it.
One thing I cannot overlook is the water situation, I’m not unduly concerned about the water meter, I’ll worry about how much it’s going to cost later, likewise the electricity. Most important is to have a regular, reliable supply, of sufficient pressure to provide a good, not just passable shower.
I suggest we find a solicitor, Turkish with good English language skills, and who understands sympathises with our concerns, (mine doesn’t, I was advised to forget all the faults, and to go ahead and pay up, “It’s the Turkish way”) we can then as a body, (not individuals who can be fobbed off with promises, half truths and downright lies.) start legal action to get the place finished. I’m not bothered about trying to get money back; I just want what I was promised, a beautiful holiday apartment, on a complex to be proud of.

Cheers Steve.

Bill & June

Dreaming of Akbuk
General Update
Hi Steve,
I agree with everything you have written,Ufuk are treating us as idiots, they are making no effort to get the site completed. All they seem interested in, is getting as much additional cash out of us as they can, and giving nothing in return.
Best Regards,
Bill & June.

ralph

General Update
Dear All

I seriously feel that we need to confront Ufuk and make him realise how the residents feel cheated and let down and how would he feel if he was at the receiving end. The complex was not completed in time, most people never got possession in time; the quality of workmanship left a lot to be desired and adding Insult to injury the services are not safe, reliable and charged extortionately!! We must liase our visit timetables. form a group, arrange a formal meeting with Ufuk and those who are not present, provide letters of support and grievience. It should be made crystal clear to him that we will not pay any further money or charges and we must have some minimum standard of work and facilities and provisions as were specified in the brochure and otherwise; on the strength of which we made the purchase. Unless a reasonable agreement is made and immediately acted upon we will have no other option but to refer the matter to court and to local press and polititions and air our frustrations everywhere giving wide publicity. We all suffer and not just the poor helpless owners!!

Jon & Mia

General Update
As some people are talking of consulting solicitors I have just had a thought. The wife of Ken from Didim After Sales runs the "Association of British People" giving free advice to Brits and guiding them in legal matters (a bit like Citezens Advice burea) . She is fluent in English.
This may be a cheaper (Free) option for getting advice - I will make some enquiries.
I would like to find what our options are if Ufuk digs his heels is and sticks to the position that he has delivered a water supply, WiFi, Sat TV and landcsaping (regardless of how inadequate it is) The only thing many of us have to "bargain" with is the £490 per year management fee

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom