Martyn

Genealogy
I just wondered has anyone here done any research into their family tree? I started back around 1990 and made a lot of visits the Public Records Office. After a few years researching I came to a halt trying to research one particular relative. With the 1901 census going online eventually in around 2002 I made the breakthrough I needed and found the birthplace of the relative in question. This kick started my enthusiasm off again. This person I found had two marriages and in 1901 at the age of 50 married a 22 year old. :lol:

So anyone researching their family and any 'interesting' skeletons out of the cupboard now?

Andy

Genealogy
Never done it myself but paid Winchester Ancestry to do it for me
at the cost of £300 in 2005 they could only go back to my great
grandfather as they said i had such a common name.

I felt as if i had thrown £300 down the drain.

One of my cousins claimed he went way back to the 1600's
and found we were related to the American Indians when i
asked for a copy i never got a reply so became suspiciouos
but would love to find out the truth.

Martyn

Genealogy
Germaine, there are quite a few sites where you may be able to get information. Just Google for ghana genealogy.

There are so many forums where you can post queries but if have never tried genealogy then your best place to start is with living relatives. Bear in mind it's not always accurate sometimes uncle Jack was actually born Wilbert and for some reason used his middle name. When my mother died I found out her name she was always known by was her middle name and and her 'middle name' was actually her forename.

1. Get a computer program and document everything you learn and the source. It's so easily to forget.

2. Get as many birth, marriage and death certificates. They all give different information. Civil registration started back in 1837 so check the Public Record Office. Scan them in and add them to your genealogy program.

3. Check the censuses, they started back in 1841 although the early census didn't give very accurate information.

Always bear in mind that some people who worked on the parish records back in the 19th(and earlier) century often misspelt names so a bit of lateral thinking helps.

Once you get back past civil registration(1837) you need to rely on parish records and online websites. I used to belong to the Society of Genealogists and they have records going way back through the centuries.

Genealogy
Martyn is quite right.
There is a wealth of information available .
We have traced our family back to its Cornish roots and have ground to a halt at 1601.
We researched it 30 years ago by visiting Cornwall for a week and going through all the local records in Truro_One of the biggest helps are the copies of each census on microfiche in those days where you can see additions or departures by marriage or death in a family home and piece together information
Local history societies (most towns or areas have them) or even a local historian may help.
Talk to elderly relatives and their friends plus those living in the area you are researching now.
Its like putting together a jigsaw but now with the internet we have found cousins all over the place by posting messages on our family name forum on Genealogy sites such as Genforum etc. They also link up with their own info to your direct line and it grows like topsy.
Its not just the names that are fascinating as its the history of your ancestors that make a story.
Try it!!

Martyn

Genealogy
You've got further back than me Terry. i have had people give me leads as far as Australia and have found living relatives I never knew about. The person I was talking about in my earlier post was born in 1851. It turned out he had two brothers and two sisters(got from the census) and one of the brothers joined the navy. Since then the whole of that line have been in the navy and I was contacted by one of that line who gave me even more information. One of my relatives was killed on HMS Hood http://www.hmshood.com/crew/memorial/l/LewingtonGC.htm

Germaine

Mass Debater
Genealogy
Its mainly my Ghanian side i was interested in.
Every site i've looked on in the past wants $20 or something, and my experience of searching via that method was short. I have looked half heartedly, maybe this will spur me on a bit.

Last edited:

zakkum

Genealogy
There are many web sites out there to help. For a subscription you can join Ancestry.com - I resisted this for many years but received an annual membership as a birthday gift. It has proved invaluable, access to all census return, births,deaths, marriages since civil registration plus lots more records. Also try Genes Reunited - you post your 'interest' names on the site and this puts you in touch with others searching the same connections. I was fortunate enough to receive a complete history of my mothers paternal line back to the late 1700's complete with photograph of the house occupied in the 1841 census. Good hunting!
zakkum

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Genealogy
You never know Terry, you and I could be related !!

My mum's family are from around Nanpean, Roche, Whitemoor, St Stephens and St Dennis.

Genealogy
I started out using the genes reunited web site and found my husband's half sister. My husband knew nothing about her, but she knew she had an older brother and sister. We are now firm friends, I have also met cousins through this site. I have since got a lot more serious, and had to do a lot of delving, so joining ancestry.co.uk. Again good source of info, as is the BMD index. I have family roots in India, so have joined an Indian family history society, which is fascinating, but will take a bit more time to get to find the information needed.
I did get someone to do a military search on my grandfather - that cost £70 and was worth every penny.

Genealogy
KayaKoyuOldBoy said:
You never know Terry, you and I could be related !!

My mum's family are from around Nanpean, Roche, Whitemoor, St Stephens and St Dennis.
Good God Roche
I will email you with my family records and info!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Genealogy
Even spookier than that, my son's partner's family name is Cocks. They live in Northamptonshire.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Genealogy
My mother has asked me to track down records of some relatives in Scotland at end of 1800s to early 1900s. I have registered with Genes Reunited.

I wonder if anyone has had useful experience of using online web search sites - including negative experience?

The government site wants £5 for each page viewed of the 1901 Census, for example. I would like to do some digging before I start spending.

Any better sites than Genes Reunited?

Ian

Genealogy
Hi Ian
Try these for a start.

The genealogy forum at the bottom is excellent for surnames and links to others enquiring and there is a forum for each surname so post your enquiries on it.
By far the best approach for us years ago was via the censuses if you know certain areas your family might have lived etc and you build up a picture of the area and families where next door neighbours may ring a bell etc from past conversations.
The census approach is by far the most fascinating but the writing takes some reading on copies of the originals.

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchthearchives/?source=ddmenu_search0

http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp

https://www.familyhistoryonline.net/login/user_submit.pl

http://genforum.genealogy.com/

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Genealogy
Apparently I come from a long line of boxers - 'cept for my father - he was a cocker spaniel .....

C

PDM

Genealogy
I recently used the BDM Index to find my birth mother that up until now I had no interest in finding. Unfortunately she died 14 years ago but I have two younger sisters and a brother that I am going to meet for the first time when I get home from Turkey at the end of the month. I done all the searches myself for a few pounds and then paid £300 for a mediator to make the contact with the family. Im London born and my birth family come from Leeds, Holderness and Beverley Yorkshire. Doing searches becomes very addictive at times.

Andy

Genealogy
Apart from Terry's links are there anymore out there.
Some-0ne posted the link to another a couple of
weeks ago, iv'e done a search but can't find it.

Any Help out there.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom