teosgirl

Gaziantep police pushing a policeman forcing him to fire gas at people
It was also discussed on CNNTURK last night, along with the United June Movement boycott today (my girls are at home!).
If you check Tuncay Ozkans FB account he shared the full video - showing the peaceful walking demo by the men and how they were herded to this one area, and then sprayed with gas.

Reminiscent of another time perhaps.

Charlotte

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
Izmir

The United June Movement thousands gathered with banners and flags in support for the boycott march from Basmane to Konak Square.
The police cut all roads to the square and used gas and water throwing TOMA to disperse the crowds

Keske affiliated unions, teachers, leftist parties, thousands of Alevi associations used a megaphone calling out, to the police "we are fighting for you and your family also " "We use our democratic rights" . " Why do you block our way"

Overkill reaction for peaceful marchers using their democratic right of protest . Looks like Konack square like Taksim Square are now off limits to use your right to protest .:painkille:painkille:painkille:painkille

link :painkille:painkille:painkille:painkille:painkille
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_June_Movement]United June Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

tosmur

Apparently now the video clip has gone viral these Turkish police are going to be investigated. There should be an investigation and they should be charged. Things like this go on everyday in some parts of Turkey usually they are not caught on camera.

I was told the other day something like 179 children were killed by the Turkish authorities (police/army) in 2014 that is disgusting.

Last edited:

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
On watching how irresponsible , undisciplined and aggressive the Police can be towards peaceful demonstrators, how long will it be before someone/people will be killed because of the New AKP internal security law.
Which authorizes police to open fire on demonstrators . ... gendarmerie will have the authority to fire live bullets at demonstrators with out any prior warning if they feel threatened .
In the past they had to shout a warning and prove they were under threat or it could be investigated . They were at least under some type of control to stop bad behaviour, that will now not be the case they will not be brought to book or face the law their decision will be the law.

Even before this new law was enacted there had been unlawful deaths ,but at least the officers could be taken to court ,that option will now not be there .

Last edited:

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
It was also discussed on CNNTURK last night, along with the United June Movement boycott today (my girls are at home!).
If you check Tuncay Ozkans FB account he shared the full video - showing the peaceful walking demo by the men and how they were herded to this one area, and then sprayed with gas.

Reminiscent of another time perhaps.

Charlotte

Izmir

The United June Movement (BHH) has launched a “school boycott” all across the country in response to compulsory religion courses and other educational policies of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), while an organizer of the boycott has been arrested and several journalists and activists have been detained by the police in connection with the demonstrations.

Activists, journalists detained amid school boycott across Turkey

teosgirl

I have friends who attended today's events.
A TOMA was indeed utilised outside the exhibition centre in Alsancak.

I believe the majority of protesters in Izmir are predominantly against the forced attendance of children to Imam Hatip schools. A lot of schools in this area have been changed to Imam Hatip, leaving parents with no choice.

As one of the commentators said last night on CNNTURK, this is not a protest of religion, but religious indoctrination - I believe he said "We're all Muslims, but people should have a choice".
It left a bad taste in my mouth when Sevda Turkusev said "If you're a good Muslim, you will send your children to school tomorrow".

That shows the mentality of some AKP supporters.

Charlotte

Kingfisher

I am not at ease with the idea of boycotting school. After all it is a right that is not given to all, and which many have fought for throughout the world.

And I am uneasy at the idea that school-children are being drawn into political demonstrations. Their place is at school, if their parents want to demonstrate, they are adults and can exercise their right to choose.

tosmur

Let's hope he is sacked for his despicable behaviour, he looks evil

tosmur

While dozens of people, mainly in the Aegean province of İzmir, were detained in a boycott of schools that was launched on Feb. 13 in various Turkish cities upon a call from the Eğitim-Sen teachers’ union, a number of Alevi associations and the United June Movement (BHH) to protest the government’s educational policies, including regarding compulsory religion classes, police attacked protesters.

Dozens detained around Turkey in school boycott - RIGHTS

More protesters detained terrible

teosgirl

I am not at ease with the idea of boycotting school. After all it is a right that is not given to all, and which many have fought for throughout the world.

And I am uneasy at the idea that school-children are being drawn into political demonstrations. Their place is at school, if their parents want to demonstrate, they are adults and can exercise their right to choose.

I think that's a very extreme view of missing one day of school.

It was an important cause; a demonstration against compulsory religious courses, as well as the general direction the education system is moving in Turkey. There are between 15 - 20 million Alevi followers in Turkey and even though the ECHR ruled in their favour and condemned Turkey for compelling children to attend RE classes at school, the ruling has not been implemented by the government. Cemevi's are not officially recognised (not funded by the government or given special privileges) and 'Alevi' is not an option given for Turkish ID cards.

In my opinion it was a day which taught my children a whole lot more than they would have learned in the six hours or so spent in classes, such as standing up for your principles, freedom of expression, diversity and tolerance - all things which this government are slowly eradicating. If we don't teach our children to fight for what they believe in, this government will be forever overriding and robbing the people.

Many teacher unions and associations provided special events and educational programmes to replace the normal school day - many focused on science workshops/maths workshops whilst some districts held 'fun days' with a loose creative schedule.

school boycott.jpg

school boycott programme.jpg

I am happy that we participated. The headmasters in our local schools have ALL been replaced with Imam Hatip graduates, it's only a matter of time until that philosophy is further filtered down into the curriculum.

Charlotte

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
2r2rszo.jpg

Quite a striking pose Bravo ! Izmir's CHP Mayor of Konak Sema Pekdaş, for stopping the Police from entering to arrest or detain demonstrators in the Konak Municipality building. She put herself at risk by stretching out her arms and putting her body across the entrance of the building . Where " boycott" demonstrators had taken refuge, from an unprovoked teargas/watercannon attack on peaceful protesters.:lock1::lock1::lock1::lock1:

Top Bottom