KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Garlic
Here are a couple of tips for things to do with Garlic which is plentiful and cheap here in Turkey.

Peel the garlic and place it in a screwtop jar, then cover it with Olive Oil. The garlic cloves will keep for several weeks in the oil. You get a bonus with this method as the oil becomes infused with the taste of garlic and is great for adding to butter to make garlic bread or for drizzling onto soup, jacket potatoes etc

Alternatively, once you've peeled the garlic, put it in a blender or multi-chopper and give it a whizz with a little Olive Oil. If you want to bulk it up a bit, put a peeled onion or some shallots in there too. Once you've chopped the mix, put it into ice-cube trays and leave in the freezer for 12 - 15 hours. You can then knock the cubes out of the trays and bag them or put into "Tupperware" containers for later use. You can throw the cubes into stir-fries and other fast foods because, due to the oil content, they take very little time to defrost.

Garlic
I,ve been doing my garlic like this for years, well without the onions etc. If you keep it in the fridge, without the olive oil, just in a screw top jar it will last longer than several weeks but beware - the garlic gets stronger and stronger :)

If you want to make the peeling of the garlic easier, break down the bulb and leave to soak overnight and the skin will just come away.

A word of warning about using ice cube trays - you can never use them for ice again. The garlic will taint them so best keep one tray aside specifically for garlic.

You can also do fresh ginger in the same way.

Soo x

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Garlic
I also use ice cube trays for saving left-over tomato puree, curry sauce, antep esme, chopped parsley and semi-skimmed milk.

tjd

Garlic
I also use ice cube trays for saving left-over tomato puree, curry sauce, antep esme, chopped parsley and semi-skimmed milk.

I wondered why your gin and tonics tasted a bit strange!

Seriously though - good ideas for all that kind of food that we buy in large quantities over here.

hijo

in my own clique
Garlic
.i have frozen herbs for more than 30 years using ice trays ..mainly in the uk ..as they are so abundant and very cheap in turkey:couch2:tomato puree i also cover with oil and keep in a container in the fridge ..it lasts for months..garliic i do the same except i blend it with salt ,put in a jar and cover with oil .when tomatoes and peppers are cheap here..i by loads and sun dry them on the balcony..brilliant flavour and last forever..

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Garlic
linsey patiently peels all the cloves and puts them in a screw top jar (no oil) and stores them in the freezer - tip came from a turkish friend - works well as the garlic always tastes fresh

martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom