Question for you

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
Don't you have birds in Ukraine? they would normally pick them off. Be careful if you touch them, some caterpillars have toxins from the hairs.
Plenty of birds in the garden but they don't seem to fancy these little bu99ers.
And pretty much impossible to pick them off by hand, when I said hundreds I probably under estimated.
We (ie. my wife) has given them a good soaking in pesticide and will repeat thrice daily with fingers well crossed.

Kanga

Gardening for Idiots
Use a power hose Jaycey, you dont need insecticide. Wash them off on to a tarp then spread them out where the birds can see them. The bushes are sick because the caterpillars are sucking the sap out of them. Difficult to tell what the bushes are from your pix, are they tamarisk?

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
No, not tamarisk – wife says they are самшит which Google translates as boxwood.
Use a power hose Jaycey, you dont need insecticide. Wash them off on to a tarp then spread them out where the birds can see them. The bushes are sick because the caterpillars are sucking the sap out of them. Difficult to tell what the bushes are from your pix, are they tamarisk?
No idea where I’d find a power hose in these parts but no worries – they have had two insecticide sprays now and no sign of any caterpillars. Holding thumbs!

No, not tamarisk – wife says they are самшит which Google translates as boxwood.

Gardening for Idiots
I was thinking that Jaycey was going to be appealing for a new wardrobe of clothes if all the caterpillars turned into hungry moths

juco

Gardening for Idiots
My first thought was to rotavate the area and lay turf but that still means grass to cut.
If you want to keep the grass I would get some top soil and rake it flat over the grass, the grass will grow through, you may have to do a couple of times depending on how bad the uneveness is. You could even mix some grass seed in with the top soil.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
If you want to keep the grass I would get some top soil and rake it flat over the grass, the grass will grow through, you may have to do a couple of times depending on how bad the uneveness is. You could even mix some grass seed in with the top soil.
We (ie my wife) spread a little soil in the dips and sprinkled grass seed, much better now.

Now I’m all for getting a goat but facing severe opposition.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
I was thinking that Jaycey was going to be appealing for a new wardrobe of clothes if all the caterpillars turned into hungry moths
Haven't seen any moths around but plenty of small white butterflies like cabbage whites.

I'm wondering if they might be the source of the infestation.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
This is the culprit. . .

Wow, thanks for that Kanga, most informative.

Seems then that the culprits are moths and not butterflies.

Anyway the bushes (trees?) have been well sprayed and the caterpillars have now disappeared. Interesting though that they were white & very small not like the green fellas in the article – maybe an early stage of development.

The bushes look dead but the twigs still have sap so should recover.

Thanks everyone for your input & advice.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom