Question for you

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
test.jpg

Some very strange things looming over our garden wall.

Do any of our green fingered friends know what they might be? An alien invasion perhaps?

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
Thanks, an interesting thought but can't get much closer - too high & too distant for my old HTC cam.
Peering over the wall it looks as they are all growing from a single root.
This is about as good as it gets...

tree.jpg

Kanga

Gardening for Idiots
It might be an 'Angel's Trumpet' or Brugmansia but I can't be sure. If so it'll have trumpet shaped flowers hanging down in the summer which could be one of several colours from white - pink- yellow etc. Whatever it is, it looks desperate for a good pruning.

Brugmansia is poisonous so be careful if you handle it and dont burn any trimmings because you might inhale toxic smoke.

Same with oleander btw. Very common in Turkey and often used for hedges.

Some people in France were poisoned recently by using oleander twigs to make brochette skewers on a barbeque.

Q . What is the deadliest flower in the world?
A . Nerium oleander
The elegant Nerium oleander, the blossoms of which are crimson, magenta or creamy white, is one of the most toxic plants in the world. Every part of the plant, from its stem to its sap, is incredibly poisonous if ingested. Even inhaling the smoke from a burning oleander is a health threat.

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
Eek - thanks for that.

I'll keep an eye on them & post more pics when flowers appear.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Gardening for Idiots
We have white brugmansia, but did not know it was poisonous, thanks Kanga. We had yellow flowers in a rental property in TRNC, stunning flowers. The RHS site says it cannot tolerate cold, we can't get rid of it here, and sometimes down to -20C in winter, but not wet.

enoch

Gardening for Idiots
We have white brugmansia, but did not know it was poisonous, thanks Kanga. We had yellow flowers in a rental property in TRNC, stunning flowers. The RHS site says it cannot tolerate cold, we can't get rid of it here, and sometimes down to -20C in winter, but not wet.
The local gardens are full of it , even hanging over the gate ways.

Kanga

Gardening for Idiots
just be careful with plants you don't know. The 'Pencil Tree' from the Canary Islands grows in our garden in Datca. Our poor gardener spent 3 days in hospital after a severe reaction to the poisonous sap.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
I will try to get a picture later for you from the neighbours and email you. Don't know how to put pictures on the new TLF.
Easy enough John, put the pic on your desktop then click on the ‘Attach files’ button, click on your pic & job done..

Otherwise mail to me and I’ll post for you.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Gardening for Idiots
I will try to get a picture later for you from the neighbours and email you. Don't know how to put pictures on the new TLF.

This how-to guide might help......

Jaycey

African Refugee
Gardening for Idiots
Me again!

grass.jpg

The is a small uneven grassed in area some 15 m2 where it is pretty much impossible to use a regular lawnmower or Flymo due to unevenness of the ground.

My first thought was to rotavate the area and lay turf but that still means grass to cut.(the mowers are in a storage area with difficult access & the nearest power point is 30m+ away) and in our black Ukrainian soil the grass needs cutting pretty much every second day! :( :(

My subsequent thoughts included green concrete, AstroTurf or a fish pond – all of which have been vetoed by the boss.

flower beds.jpg

On the other hand we have several attractive flower gardens that need little maintenance apart from an occasion watering – does anyone know what these plants are?

Ideally I’d like to rotavate and seed the whole are with different low growing perennials and finish up with something like this...

3-ground cover.jpg

Opinions of our learned gardening fundis will be much appreciated.

Camden

Gardening for Idiots
2d4808556850b87184f0ee164c02c770.jpg

Leave it Jaycey This is no Mow May

Join legions of gardeners and say “no” to the mow this May to help our bees, butterflies, wildlife and us!​

Plantlife’s No Mow May campaign doesn’t ask you to do much. In fact, it asks you to not do anything at all…

Just lock up your lawnmower on May 1st and let the wild flowers in your lawn bloom, providing a feast of nectar for our hungry pollinators.

Let it grow… let it groooow…

At the end of the month, on the Bank Holiday Weekend, join in with our nationwide “Every Flower Counts” survey to discover how many bees the UK’s lawns can feed. Not only will you receive your very own “nectar score” (which will tell you have many bees your lawn can feed), you’ll help us learn more about the health of the nations’ wild flowers

PS " green concrete AstroTurf " SACRILEGE Jaycey ....

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Gardening for Idiots
We have plenty of grass and also lots of red granite chippings, I hate both, in fact I hate gardening so we decided to slab some of the area where the red chip is and install some raised planters, this was progress this afternoon, when its finished it will mean less maintenance, we will plant with extremely hardy shrubs as it gets very windy and fairly cold in winter, the 2 combining to kill most living things, in spring we will add some annual colour, when I say we, obviously I don't mean me.
PATIO 1.jpg

Top Bottom