MISSC2000

Gardener any idea how much?
Does anyone know how much a gardener would cost? Obviously im not taliking landscaping but looking after?....

Any reccomondations?

Thanks

c

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Does anyone know how much a gardener would cost? Obviously im not taliking landscaping but looking after?....

Any reccomondations?

Thanks

c

That all depends on the gardener.Be careful who you employ,because many claim to be a gardener,but has no idea what is a culinary plant to a wanted plant.
4 lira's an hour should be quite sufficient,if they ask for the Englich equivailant to the minimum wage.Tell them l don't need your services

I dont know what the going rate is, but two years ago I was all ready to do a hard days work, digging over a smallish patch, getting all the stone out ready to plant seeds. Our site gardener arrived and said that he would do it for me the next day, (Sunday-his day off). He turned up at 8am, worked all day, apart from the hour he dissapeared to get a huge bag of top soil, which he carried up the hill on his back. When he had finished at about 6pm, after he had put the seed down I asked him how much I owed him, and his reply...............5 Lira!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, he got more than he expected.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
I dont know what the going rate is, but two years ago I was all ready to do a hard days work, digging over a smallish patch, getting all the stone out ready to plant seeds. Our site gardener arrived and said that he would do it for me the next day, (Sunday-his day off). He turned up at 8am, worked all day, apart from the hour he dissapeared to get a huge bag of top soil, which he carried up the hill on his back. When he had finished at about 6pm, after he had put the seed down I asked him how much I owed him, and his reply...............5 Lira!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, he got more than he expected.
l have never come across that before of all the time l have been living here."Boy",you just met the right person at the right time.l have seen and heard of some charging 60 lira's for a few hours work.And it wasn't done properly either.

The guy dug up part of a lawn[that only neede mowing] and without smoothing it and raking.He just chucked the seeds down and said finished and wanted 60 lira's for that.Well the owner of the property told him,,on your bike!

pebble

IN MY EXPERIENCE, THERE ARE NO TRUE GARDNERS IN TURKEY. REALLY.........in our coastal towns that is.......
shall I just go on and on and on??????
no knowledge of native plants for pete's sake, no knowledge on water conservation, no knowledge on proper watering time, (not in the heat of the day.....) no knowledge on companion planting, no idea at all about planting for erosion control, no clue about mulching. their fertilizing system with the goat pellets, they dont work it into the soil, they just dump it on top and keep watering it in the hopes that it leaches in to the soil.
but boy they are all experts, and their way is the right way, and you cant ever make them understand anything.

having said that.........the villagers.......well they must be doing something right, cause they bring their fresh produce to market and it is to die for. everything is so flavorful, tasty, fresh etc etc.
and of course the big produce people in the agricultural valleys are doing something right too. what an industry that is, have you ever been thru adana, antalya, the med coast really, where you see as far as the eye can see greenhouses OH IT IS A SIGHT to behold.

anyway, back to the local gardner, i used to use general labor, for the whole day to clean up, weed, etc for about 50 lira a day, that is generally the daily rate for a laborer, and if you know how to ask, you can find someone who will be honest and say yes, i know a little about gardening., but dont expect anything you are used to in your own country
try asking your neighbours (turkish ones) you may get lucky. and find someone that will do the maintenance for you, agree on a couple of hours a week and set a lira figure, be realistic, he is feeding a family.
good luck

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Gardeners in Turkey are the bain of my life. I have had them all. I have tried advertising, asking around, asking the maid, yes they all know of or are gardeners. Pebble is completely right in what she says. I have paid 50tl for a couple of hours to 80tl for nearly a full day. I have paid 300tl for a two day blitz. I found the answer a few weeks ago. An English friend of ours out of work and bored in the UK loves gardens so we brought him out for a two week holiday and give him a beer and cigs and he was in our garden from 9am to 10pm, he loved it, we loved it, the garden has never looked so good. He went home with a good tan, relaxed and happy. Of course there is a downside to this, the garden has grown and I could do with him back once a month but he went back to UK and got a job straight away. BooHoo

MISSC2000

Mmm well I guess its pot luck........seems to be im learining how the Turkish work. Its like being in a maze just when you think your heading the right way slap bang, start again Aghhh...!!

Was the UK like this before rules really became rules and PC stuff came in. I guess when you been brought up to tow the line you expect a simple answer.

Its a shame you cant employ non Turks im sure there are some great gardeners living in Turkey.

Thanks

C

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Shame on the restrictions.l am a professional gardener and would've loved to have done your garden

The Igor

Wreckage
IN MY EXPERIENCE, THERE ARE NO TRUE GARDNERS IN TURKEY. REALLY

I would actually go so far and say that it goes for almost every one claiming to be a "trained professional" of any kind. I´ve seen "carpenters" that cant tell one side of the hammer from the other, i´ve seen "electricians" that gladly put their fingers in a lamp socket without taking any safety measurements whatsoever (like turning off the main switch) and so on.

When we moved into this apartment we removed the rather filthy bathtub and bought a new shower cabin instead. The cabin arrived the day after purchase, followed by four "trained professionals" for the assembly job. Three of them just stood there watching, the fourth dude did all the job. Everything was ready, they said, no problems at all, wait untill tomorrow so the silicon can dry up, and so they left.

Next day i had a shower......... Geez, water was flooding the whole bathroom, every possible opening that should have been watertight was leaking water like the Niagara Falls. We had to redo the whole job ourselves. Trained professionals my a**!

In the old apartment we had an "electrician" visiting once. He was there to check the faulty spotlights in the living room, and he also brought an "apprentice". He climbed the ladder, not switching off the main power, and started to work.

I tell you, me and the missus was sitting in the kitchen while he was at work and we clearly heard him get at least three electrical shocks during his work. Two of the shocks made him fall off the ladder. A loud "hhuuuugh" followed by a thud...........We sat there, giggling and trying not to laugh out loud, but when the "electrician" left we had the laugh of the century.

pebble

Oh Igor, you made me giggle, cause i too have witnessd the shocked falling off the ladder at an askance stance, and always they are surprised. and for some reason...never learn...........
I agree with you on all "trade professionals" here, i just didnt want to get on a DISSING campaign. which i coud very easily....

as we would say....TRUE DAT.........ABOUT all the trades and service industry.....

The Igor

Wreckage
I´m sure there are a lot of skilled people around so i´m not trying to perform any general dissing, but the fact is that some of the guys claiming to be professionals are nothing of the kind......But they do know how to charge you.....in a professional way

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
I´m sure there are a lot of skilled people around so i´m not trying to perform any general dissing, but the fact is that some of the guys claiming to be professionals are nothing of the kind......But they do know how to charge you.....in a professional way

Yes there are, and happily i can claim to be one of them ( Joiner/cabinetmaker)
It disappoints me every time I'm called to put right the so called craftsmanship of a so called "professional", I've worked on jobs in the past where one day a guy turns up claiming to be a plumber and the next day he's an electrician...
I hasten to add that they are usually foreign cheap labour... at the end of the day the cost of the job works out to be more expensive for the client.
These so called "professionals" give true craftsman a bad name.

Alan.

littledave

littledave
do turkish so called tradesmen do apprenticeships ( i cant spell that ) or do they have lessons or classes on how to get the most money out of people who own villas etc... my gardener ( jack of all trades , master of absolutly nothing) had someone round to fit me a new motor for my water pump.. when the work was done my gardener asked me for the old pump.. i looked at him and said yes 50lira... i kepted a straight face and the look on his face he looked how i look when they keep asking me for money...

pebble

when the work was done my gardener asked me for the old pump.. i looked at him and said yes 50lira... i kepted a straight face and the look on his face he looked how i look when they keep asking me for money...

Absolutely brilliant come back!!!
they always just take the old bits and pieces and repair them, then sell them on to unsuspecting people, and of course they think all foreigners are stupid.

They have trade schools, and actually a lot of the kids do end up learning a trade, thru school, or as apprentices at a very young age, but look at who their role models are. look at the unscrupulous people teaching them, not just about the trade but how to screw the customer. they dont see the forest for the trees, their first lessons should be in work ethics, and business planning, how to build long terms relationships with customers by not screwing them. This is what they need to learn in their trade schools, and then the hands on experience within their chosen field.

hmmmmmm i see a project in this somewhere........;

he he he

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
I have to admit that I am with you all on this thread, trying get a professional is near impossible but I do have to say how sad it is that the turkish guys have to lie to get some money to live on. Perhaps we are to blame and with a little compassion we could get a turk in to do the work and then have the determination to see that he does it properly and then with out european expertise correct him when he goes wrong.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
I have to admit that I am with you all on this thread, trying get a professional is near impossible but I do have to say how sad it is that the turkish guys have to lie to get some money to live on. Perhaps we are to blame and with a little compassion we could get a turk in to do the work and then have the determination to see that he does it properly and then with out european expertise correct him when he goes wrong.

"sorry",but l do have to disagree agree with you on that one that we are to blame.They are fully to blame ,because this is how they teach each others to screw money out of other people to make a living.
What they need is a change in the way they think in the way they do bussiness

Latest Posts

Top Bottom