johngood

garden & cooking
View attachment 2896

Someone asked a few weeks ago what tree to put in the garden.
you cant go wrong with a KUMQUAT tree and you can buy here in Turkey.
even put in tub on patio. makes great marmalade just one of many uses in cooking. there are many web pages on the net for this. one i use is
Kumquat Growers - Fresh Florida Kumquats or just put Kumquat recipes. loads of them on the web,
the friut is green at the moment but about January it should be ready for harvest. my tree is 7 years and every year i get more. and the fruit gets bigger. only grows about 1 mt. one recipe i use.

Kumquat Marmalade

2 cups kumquats. washed and sliced
2 cups water
juice of 1 lemon
2 cups sugar

Wash and slice fruit and remove seeds.Place the fruit in a large saucepan, cover with water and soak overnight or for around 8 hrs. Put the seeds in separate container ( such as a cup ) and soak in a small amount of boiling water. Leave overnight. Next day strain the liquid from seeds. discard the seeds and add the water to the Kumquats. Cook gently on low heat until the fruit is tender and the liquid is reduced by half. Add the sugar and the lemon juice. When all the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat and boil rapidly untill the mixture jells ( around 30-45minutes ).
Note: stir often, or the marmalade will burn! To test if the marmalade is jelling, spoon a little onto a cold saucer. If a skin forms, and it glazes on the surface and wrinkles when touched, it is ready,If it is still runny ,boil for a little longer and test again,Pour into hot sterılised jars and seal.

Note: If you have a bumper crop of kumquats, double the quantitıes.

on my one tree must be well over 200+ no problem i make for other people.

hijo

in my own clique
garden & cooking
..saw kumquats in kipa yesterday also physalis.first time i have saw them in turkey..we used to use them mainly the physalis..in petite fours we used to dip them in Candy..(caramel)..i would think the only thing you could use kumquats for is marmalade..as they are quite bitter..so i was surprised to see them in kipa ,as not many people would know what to do with them..:11:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
garden & cooking
we used to use them mainly the physalis..in petite fours we used to dip them in Candy..(caramel)..

Oh I say, how lovely. Was that before or after the Peasant Shoot? :95im:

hijo

in my own clique
garden & cooking
..like it KKOB:95im:...thats about sums it up..when i was a young chef back in the 60,s and 70,s..punters used to eat a five course meal.around 8pm ..before that they might have a high tea..(maybe fish and chips or a fry up,with scones cakes and scones and loads of tea) before that maybe aternoon tea(again scones cakes and sarnies) and lunch before that ..and of course a full english for breakfast to start it all of..no wonder they were popping of like flies..:95im:then if they were really hungry after all that they could have a late supper..what do they say ..oh the good old days...right..

Last edited:

johngood

garden & cooking
hijo go on the web site you will be shocked what you can use Kumquats for. not just marmalade.

hijo

in my own clique
garden & cooking
hijo go on the web site you will be shocked what you can use Kumquats for. not just marmalade.

..sorry John just don,t like them ..most of the chefs i worked with them did,nt think much of them either..ps were abouts in kus are you?:cheers:

hachris

garden & cooking
View attachment 2896

Someone asked a few weeks ago what tree to put in the garden.
you cant go wrong with a KUMQUAT tree and you can buy here in Turkey.
even put in tub on patio.

Thanks for information; it was me and we will plant KUMQUAT, especially if it is easy to keep alive and healthy! I hope it's possible to get it in garden centres in Yalikavak. Is it called KUMQUAT in Turkish? I put it in Google Translator and got back Kamkat. Is it right or is it a nonsense?
:hmm:

hijo

in my own clique
garden & cooking
YELSIL SITE near yonca apps near long beach

rings a bell john is it soguak..we have a villa on long beach about 50 metres from silversands..have to meet up for a beer :cheers:.going of thread sorry mods ..so i will mention kumquats..:25:

johngood

garden & cooking
turkish word i found KUMKAT THEY DO SELL AT GARDEN CENTRES dont need a lot of looking after. paint the bottom of the tree to stop insects ect . water + spray any bugs.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
garden & cooking
If you go to a Turkish garden centre and ask for a Kumquat tree I should think most of them will understand what you mean.

We've found that we get the best crop from ours if it's kept out of the full summer sun, either in a shady corner or under the shade of another bigger tree.

hijo

in my own clique
garden & cooking
Thanks for information; it was me and we will plant KUMQUAT, especially if it is easy to keep alive and healthy! I hope it's possible to get it in garden centres in Yalikavak. Is it called KUMQUAT in Turkish? I put it in Google Translator and got back Kamkat. Is it right or is it a nonsense?
:hmm:

that is correct,kampat is turkish for kumquat

we are before the start of long beach near Ephesia beach club.

yep we go to the moonlight ..not to far away..

Last edited by a moderator:

hachris

garden & cooking
turkish word i found KUMKAT THEY DO SELL AT GARDEN CENTRES dont need a lot of looking after. paint the bottom of the tree to stop insects ect . water + spray any bugs.

Thanks! But paint with what? Sorry, if the question is basic, but I never had to paint a tree before. I see that the trees around are painted white, but what is it?

johngood

garden & cooking
you paint the bottom of the tree.this stops a insect . i will find out the name of this. you see all trees. and fruit trees painted for this purpose.

soory pait with what ? you got any old white emulsion or white wash.

Last edited by a moderator:

hijo

in my own clique
garden & cooking
you paint the bottom of the tree.this stops a insect . i will find out the name of this. you see all trees. and fruit trees painted for this purpose.

its called KIREC its a limestone wash ..just paint it on the base of the tree ..that should keep away the beasties..or if you have ant problems in or around your house try KORBAN..you can get it from most yapi markets..

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom