sarah391

Garanti Bank - single use PINs and GSM phones
Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't been on the forum for a couple of weeks. I have just tried to log onto my account on the internet in the UK and I get so far and a message comes up saying that it is a legal requirement since 01/01/10 to use single use PINs and to register a GSM phone at a branch or at one of the Paramatiks to enable the use of internet banking. I have no idea what a GSM phone is and in any case am nowhere near a branch or Paramatik (whatever that is!) Can anyone shed any light?

:help:

gazzer

Hi
By GSM they mean mobile phone or one that can receive texts, as you say from the new year all banks must use the system of texting you a new password every time you log on to internet banking. the only way you can register a number is at a ATM or in the branch.

Gary

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Here's the full explanation from Garanti Bank:

"The "Single-Use PIN" is becoming mandatory!

Usage of "single-use PIN" is required to be mandatory when logging on to Online Banking, by BDDK as of January 01, 2010. Regulation is going to be in effect for all banks throughout in Turkey and you will be required to enter your "single-use PIN" in addition to your customer number, password and PIN information when logging on to Online Banking. You can use one of our "Login PIN via SMS", "Şifrematik", "Cep Şifrematik" or "Mobile Signature" options to get "single-use PIN

In accordance with the BRSA's "Communique on the Principles to be taken as Basis in Information Systems Management in Banks", dated September 14, 2007 and No. 26643, the implementation of the "Single-Use PIN" during Online Banking logins will become a legal requirement as of January 1, 2010.

With this implementation that is in effect for all banks in Turkey, you will be required to enter a "Single-Use PIN" in addition to your customer number, PIN and password information when logging onto Online Banking. For this, you can use one of the applications below:

Login PIN via SMS
Şifrematik ve Cep Şifrematik
Mobile Signature

Starting from January 1, 2010, to use the Login PIN via SMS application, you need to have at least one up-to-date mobile phone number registered with our bank. To avoid any problems in your transactions, please verify that you have an up-to-date mobile phone number registered with our bank by 01.01.2010.

The SMSs within the scope of this implementation can also be sent to abroad. If you are experiencing problems because of the SMS infrastructure or the mobile operator in the country where you reside, we recommend you to use Şifrematik or Cep Şifrematik.

To request a Şifrematik, you can call 444 0 333 Alo Garanti and key in option 9, or contact your branch."

You have provided us with the answer to a question which we directed to our HSBC Customer Services Istanbul, 3 days ago. I`m getting a bit frustrated at this Internet Banking thing.

Should all Customers not have received advice of the new banking procedures.

Grump over! Thanks for this useful information.

Maisie

Garanti sent out emails about this early in December. I did not understand either, so sent an email to their customer services. I then had correspondence with a very nice person who explained. When the account was opened, they took the number of my Turkish mobile. On 1st January, I turned on the 'phone and logged in. A message came up that they were sending a PIN to my mobile. It started ringing before I had finished reading the page. I put the PIN where it was asked for - bingo! On line. I have done this twice since. Immediate response.

Pain in the whatsit though. I think the banks are in cahoots with the telephone companies because we have to keep the mobiles fully functioning to get the PIN sent.

Maisie

Chinook

a question which we directed to our HSBC Customer Services Istanbul, 3 days ago. I`m getting a bit frustrated

With HSBC you need to get your branch to E mail an authorisation . You need then to put on your mobile telephone number (They will accept UK nr but remember to put in international code for UK), sign, scan and e mail back. They will do nothing without a signature.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
You have provided us with the answer to a question which we directed to our HSBC Customer Services Istanbul, 3 days ago. I`m getting a bit frustrated at this Internet Banking thing.

Should all Customers not have received advice of the new banking procedures.

Grump over! Thanks for this useful information.

And, ironically, I don't even have a Turkish bank account. :dooh:

kevinJ

Hi there bankers,

I'm having similar problems with IsBank internet access. They sent no information. I just could log on. Can anyone tell me what a 'Şifrematik' is and what it does. I've tried to get IsBank to use my UK mobile number in the past but no luck, so is this Şifrematik the answer?

Kevin

Maisie

Akbank will use your UK mobile number, but it must be registered with them. This can be done by getting them to send you a registration form (as an email attachment) and after completion you can either scan and attach to an email, or fax it to them. Perhaps the other banks would do the same? Worth a try. Maisie

Akbuk Rob

Hi there bankers,

I'm having similar problems with IsBank internet access. They sent no information. I just could log on. Can anyone tell me what a 'Şifrematik' is and what it does. I've tried to get IsBank to use my UK mobile number in the past but no luck, so is this Şifrematik the answer?

Kevin

Here is a link to Garanti's bank explanation of their Sifrematic gizmo, there is a photo of one and much info including how to get one. There are many links on their page which should answer most questions on the new security measure.

GarantiBank >> Delivery Channels >> Þifrematik

PS. Its all in English.

REDDERS

I've just ordered a sifrematic as the single use pin system,ie sending a text to my mobile with a new pin no. has never worked.I even logged on in my local branch at Garanti & the assistant still couldn't work out whats wrong,nor can I stanbul head office.
The turkish 'sifrematic' is similar to the card reader system used in the UK,infact Jane uses one here for her UK online Barclays account.
So,when mine arrives next week i will inform you all if it seems a good idea,oh & it costs 10tl!!.

p.s. If you use the single pin mobile system,make sure your phone is near you when you log on to your banks site...doh !!...& that your message box has room for another text.

SIMPLES !!

Martin.

Last edited:

Xerox

BAA - but not sheepish!
I must say that I prefer the text message system to the UK banks insistence that I use one of their machines (but only when I want to set up something new, not every time I access the bank). I nearly always have my mobile with me and I don't have to keep one for each bank I use.

Akbuk Rob

I think the password text system is pretty good, at least so far. A new password every time you log in which you don’t need to remember.

I have one of the Sifrematik gizmos from a UK bank, they call it a token generator, ok until they go out of sync as mine did once, took me 20 mins on the phone to UK (special rate call) to get it reset and my access unblocked. It also took them 3 attempts to send it to me here in Turkey in the first place, during which time I could not access my online account without phoning them, again at special rates. Not very smart to post these things internationally, no use to anyone else but some people just cant resist slitting the envelope to see what the little bulge is and of course it is electronic with a battery so could light up on a scanner, remember the mail bombs in UK?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom