MUGGY ONE

Garanti Bank/cash withdrawal - couple of questions, help please?
Hi

Just got back from Turkey, opened GBP and TL accounts with Garanti.

Didn't have enough time though to go back into the bank and get a PIN no. and Password to get onto their Online Banking. I tried to call their customer services in the UK, you need to enter your customer no. which I did from the bank books, they said it was not recognised and I couldn't get through to speak to anyone, the automated services just cuts you off.

Also, if I was to transfer some money into the Garanti bank account from the UK, do I transfer it into the GBP or TL (I am guessing the GBP account) and how much will they let you draw out in cash when you are in Turkey (I need quite large sums withdrawn to pay for my furniture).

Thanks

Caroline

tomc1984

We use Garanti bank, the one in Yalikavak, at the top of the hill. We also have a TL and a GBP account. the TL one is attached to shares for some reason. Can use their online banking services but not really sure what I am doing. There is their website and I know there is a phone number to ring where you can press for an English speaking person, used them before and they are quite helpful. Not sure if you can put money in from UK, would love to just transfer money into it. I have a debit card which I can pay for things with, also acts as a cashpoint card, you just order one from the bank but it takes about ten days to arrive.

MUGGY ONE

Thanks Tom

I did call their number but when asked by the message to enter my customer number, the customer no. I have on the bank book wasn't recognised and I wasn't put through to a "real" person, just cut off.

Do you know what the maximum amount you can withdraw in one day?

Best wishes

Caroline

tomc1984

Just logged on to their online bank and looked, it say 1000 TL per day.

Hi,

We've used Garanti in Didim since 2007. We live in The Netherlands and transfer money regularly by internet banking. When we transfer we always use the 'Costs Shared' option as it only costs us 5 lira for the transfer each time and 5 Euro from our side. You can withdraw enough for your furniture in the bank itself as far as I'm aware. We took out 4000 lira from the teller on one occasion to pay for things. From the cash machine I think you can take out up to 1000 lira per day if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps.

RIK

We Bank with HSBC and when we first came we drew out 24000 TL to buy a car.Not a problem.There is a limit per day on how much you can withdraw from a cash machine but with HSBC ir depends on your status with the bank.There is no limit on how much you can send from the UK. but there is a limit on how much cash you can take out of the UK. without Customs asking questions.

Ian

delightful

aka Ishik, World Abodes
Hi
Your customer number is your 'musteri no'; it must be on the bank book or on a dekont given to you by the bank. It's worth trying their customer services again as they can help you to set up your internet banking. It makes it so much easier.

Garanti bank has the best internet banking system I've come across and they've won European awards for the best internet sites. You'll love it once you get started. You'll have no problems withdrawing funds from the branch (most branches are open on Saturday mornings) or the daily ATM limits, but may want to use your debit card 'Paracard' to pay for large items.
Good luck :)
Ishik

We opened a Garanti bank account in 2005. We were never able to get our cards, because we weren't there long enough! We've never used the account, but I did set up online banking at the time. Having decided to start transferring money into it, I logged on yesterday (worked fine) but it said I don't have any accounts!It was certainly there before and I have the account number.Does anyone know if accounts "die" if they're not used?

Hi

Didn't have enough time though to go back into the bank and get a PIN no. and Password to get onto their Online Banking. I tried to call their customer services in the UK, you need to enter your customer no. which I did from the bank books, they said it was not recognised and I couldn't get through to speak to anyone, the automated services just cuts you off.

Also, if I was to transfer some money into the Garanti bank account from the UK, do I transfer it into the GBP or TL (I am guessing the GBP account) and how much will they let you draw out in cash when you are in Turkey (I need quite large sums withdrawn to pay for my furniture).

Thanks

Caroline

We did the same as you, got both accounts then tried to access the internet back at home put the customer number in not recognised, have spoken to someone but they just tell us the same thing, they speak English but not all that good, have tried about 4 times but gave up in the end.

We only really use it to pay our buildings insurance which is taken out Direct Debit so we just pay an amount in when we are over.

Sorry no help at all but at least you know you are not the only one lol.

Jane

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
The on-line banking is very good. When you get it working you will be impressed, so it is worth persevering.
If you log-on to your account and then phone the on-line helpline, they can watch what you are trying to do on-line on their screen and talk you through any difficulties.
The phone Pin number is different to your customer number.
Ian

1larry3

we were in garanti last month i had forgotten my password and pin. the bank said go to the phone and screen on the wall in the bank and dial, it then asked you to press a number for english and asks for your customer number, but it wouldn't accept ours ,even the bank guard tried, he then went to one of the girls who sit at the desks in the bank , not the ones behind the tills, she phoned who ever, passed the phone to me and i done it speaking to some one in english ,set it all up and been fine ever since on the net so don't worry do it at the bank

JAYTEE

Hi

Thanks

Caroline

Hi Caroline

We also bank with garanti and have TL and £ accounts, and also a TL deposit account for the higher interest.

We also cannot utilise the telephone banking as our customer number is not recognised. They told us you have to phone the Alo Garanti number and set up telephone banking. We use the internet account regularly and it is very good. Very secure way of logging on as well.

To transfer money we have to go into our local Nationwide branch, pay a fee (£15 or £20 I think) and transfer money to your £ account. You can then transfer money in your TL account.

To get the pin for the cashcard we phoned the Alo Garanti number, listened to the options and set up a pin pressing the numbers on your keypad.

Good luck.

Janet

MUGGY ONE

Hi everyone

I have now managed to sort out the problem.

I emailed customer services yesterday and they promptly emailed me back this morning (very efficient).

I was told to call the Alo Garanti no. from the UK this is 0090 212 444 0 333, select option 9, then option 4, then option 2. You then get to speak to someone who speaks English.

She gave me a temporary password. She then transfers you to an automated service which give you a PIN no.

I then logged onto their online banking put in the temp password, my customer no. then the PIN. I could then access all of the service and see both accounts.

Better service than in the UK, I say.

I have to go to the branch to collect the debit cards when we go back. While we were there they said they would be ready in 10 days, but we only had a few days there. Are going back at the end of the month, hopefully, the cards will still be at the branch.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Caroline

PS the only thing I am hoping is that when I transfer funds to the account I can take the appropriate amounts out of the account to pay for various things I have bought.

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
PS the only thing I am hoping is that when I transfer funds to the account I can take relatively large amounts out of the account to pay for the furniture I have bought.

I am pleased to hear you have connected. If you want to take cash over the counter, I don't think there is a limit. Your Cash Card will have a spending limit linked to your bank balance. If you want to transfer money on-line there is a 1000tl per day limit unless you arrange a higher limit in your branch.

My experience with the delivery of bank cards is that they are delivered by courier, not by the branch. I know others have had different experiences on this. The problem is that if you are not there the card is returned to the central bank after a few days. So you have to time the request to make sure you will be there.
Ian

JAYTEE

Hi everyone

I have to go to the branch to collect the debit cards when we go back. While we were there they said they would be ready in 10 days, but we only had a few days there. Are going back at the end of the month, hopefully, the cards will still be at the branch.

I would be tempted to ring them before you fly out to arrange the cash cards.

We tried to get the cards in October but they didn't go to the branch when we were over. Then we tried the same in April and they didn't arrive until the day before we came home.

Glad you got things sorted, and yes, I agree, the website is very good.

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
Hello. I have a Garanti account. Only ever had one problem. I sent email and received reply.Sorted.

MUGGY ONE

Hi

I have emailed Garanti a couple of times, they have been very helpful. Even though we ordered our cash cards when we were there a couple of weeks ago, the email from them said they hadn't been ordered, but they would order them now. I said I would pick them up on or around 1 July, so will just have to wait and see. I will take a copy of the emails to refer to if needed.

Thanks for all your advice.

Caroline

I emailed Garanti 2 days ago but have received no reply. There are several email addresses on their website but none seem to be really appropriate. I couldn't find one for customer services.Could someone please tell me what email address they wrote to? Thanks.

Hello Caroline
Thank you for that. I have just emailed her.I hope you get your cards okay.We've never managed to get any because it takes so long and we've already left!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom