KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Further Clampdowns on Illegal Workers
Repeated efforts by the Turkish Ministry of Labor and Social Security to crack down on the number of unregistered foreign workers in the country have stoked fear and frustration among foreign residents, who feel increasingly pressed between the choices of working illegally or entering the often-hopeless struggle for a work permit.

Foreigners in Turkey unsatisfied with work permit procedures

dalyansteve

This is all completely stupid and short sighted, there are many Turkish people who are working without tax and insurance for many reasons, they are usually in very low paid jobs and usually women. I am sure if you go to any restaurant, hotel or office you will find some of the workers are not registered and they are not even getting the minimum wage but they are happy to be getting some sort of income.
As for foriegners applying for work permits, how many people actually have diplomas or certificates of education? When in the UK and applying for a job you put down your qualifications but are seldom asked for the certificates, in fact I cannot remember ever seeing mine and where they are are anybody's guess.
As for refugees etc working, they cannot afford the residence permit let alone the hassle of someone applying for a work permit.

chelsea boy

Dun Goat Herding!
surely the turkish government should be tested on the reciprocal agreement as regards to residency here. I thought that residency in the uk entitled people to work, if so the same should apply here. Turkey does itself no favours when it gets heavy handed like this

I believe the sunsail saga is particulary bad. Owner of the company came over, practically begging to do whatever for them to be able to have work permits, but because of the Turkish Foreigner ratio they would not even consider giving it to them, as a result of the governements narrow mindeness they have now pulled out of Turkey.
They really need to open their eyes in my opinion for the overall benefit of the country.

Just my mear opinion!!

CJD

I believe the sunsail saga is particulary bad. Owner of the company came over, practically begging to do whatever for them to be able to have work permits, but because of the Turkish Foreigner ratio they would not even consider giving it to them, as a result of the governements narrow mindeness they have now pulled out of Turkey.
They really need to open their eyes in my opinion for the overall benefit of the country.

Just my mear opinion!!

Not sure where you got your information from, Sunsail refused to pay £207
per member of staff for a yearly work visa, hardly a rip of! and Sunsail is
owned by TUI, who also own Thompsons and first choice. Sunsail are still
operating in Turkey doing the yacht charter & flotilla holidays

Sunsail abandons Turkey over visa row - Telegraph

kaplumba

I think there is probably a lot more than meets the eye to the Sunsail problem. From what I was told and no doubt it is just more gossip but I think there could be truth in it, in addition to the visa thing the Turkish government wanted more Turks working for them. That would have meant taking on more Turkish sailing instructors who probably wouldn't have had RYA sailing qualifications. The company also employ a lot of British child care workers who also have British qualifications. From what I was told the company were not willing to compromise and employ workers without those qualifications. The end result being a lot of Turkish workers employed in their hotels as catering staff, cleaners, gardeners etc have lost their jobs. A knock on effect is that a lot of fairly wealthy clientele are not visiting those resorts to spend their money this year. I think Datca where the Perili Kosk Club was will notice the missing tourists this year as Sunsail was the biggest provider of British holiday makers to that area. This year that hotel is standing empty so there is also the loss of custom to all the suppliers of food and such like. Cutting off their noses to spite their face springs to mind.

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Too right Jane, same goes for Maverde Sail Club in Guvercinlik / Kuyucak, Local govt consistently refused to enforce their decision to move the fish farms, Maverde bay was polluted, so Sunsail pulled the plug. Restaurants close, area is depressed, how clever.
Nice to hear from you Jane, regards, Steve and Jackie.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom