merlin

Forum Reputation (Rep) Whats it all about?
Now some members will have a vague idea of what that little green dot underneath your avatar is for, some don’t, and some are already very into spreading and receiving reputation.

I have tried to gather what little information about reputation I could find and explain this forum option as clear as possible. Not only that, but I will also give some suggestions on how to receive good reputation. Enjoy.

What is reputation?

Quite simply, forum users are allowed to rate on another’s post. Positive rating will increase your reputation, and negative ratings will lower it. Sounds simple right? However, it’s not a matter of simply adding and subtracting.

What will good/bad reputation do?

Well, at first glance it doesn’t do a whole lot except that it looks cool underneath you avatar. It won’t get you any privileges or anything of the sort. What it will do is prove that you are indeed a respected and helpful member. So what do you care? Well,

• If a member has a very good reputation, you can consider their replies/information useful and trustworthy. You don’t get reputation for nothing! As the forum keeps growing it’s good to know what a member is worth since a single post doesn’t tell you a lot about a member!
  • On the other hand, if a person has very bad reputation, you can draw your own conclusions and decide to frown upon his/her remark or suggestion.

For anyone who is feeling cautious up to this point, it should be obvious that this reputation system is solely a personal choice. Some people visit this forum to get information and don’t particularly get involved with other members and feel no need to become ‘famous’.

Still, if you would like to build up some fame, the rep system is the way to go!

How does it work?

Each new user starts with 10 reputation points. The points are managed by the forum automatically and need no maintenance from the member whatsoever. You can see your respective good/bad reputation by clicking on the user Control Panel .

Depending on forum behaviour the member can get positive feedback from fellow users. Or negative feedback in which case the member will end up with a negative reputation level like -5 (it is possible to have rep below zero).

In your member Control Panel, you will see the latest 5 reputation received with their respective comment. These are divided in three categories:

reputationpos6fq.gif
Positive Reputation

reputationneg5qd.gif
Negative Reputation

reputationbalance1ra.gif
Neutral Reputation (No points deducted or added).

Reputation Power
The big question for many is how these points are actually calculated. It hasn’t gone unnoticed to some members that sometimes a positive reputation awarded adds 2 points to your total, or sometimes even more.

The answer to this is Reputation Power or in other words: The amount of reputation a member is able to take away or give.

This is calculated according to:

• The register date. Member receives an ‘x’ amount of reputation power for an ‘x’ amount of time he’s been a member.
  • Reputation points. Member receives an ‘x’ amount of reputation power for an ‘x’ amount of reputation points already held.
  • And lastly, the amount of posts made by the member awarding the reputation.

Neutral Reputation Dots

I can imagine members being puzzled about this, so some special attention for the mysterious ‘grey dots’. A member whom has not yet made the set amount of posts, does not have the ability to give or take reputation from anyone.

So it's possible to receive a comment without any consequences. Be it good or bad intentions the user didn’t have enough “power” to affect your reputation. Hence the reputation is depicted with a grey dot.

Evolving Reputation

Depending on you reputation level the color of your reputation dot (which is located directly underneath your avatar) will change as will the amount of green dots added as your reputation increases.

Also depending on the members reputation level, he/she will receive a certain title. This title can be viewed by holding the mouse over the reputation dot. (This feature has not yet been implemented on Turkish Living).

How do I rate someones post?

Underneath each person’s avatar you’ll find this
scales2rh.gif
button. If you like or dislike a persons post, you can use this button to send either positive or negative reputation. Not only that, it’s also possible to write a short message to accompany your selection.

Moderators have the ability to monitor any reputation exchanged so do not abuse it!

A few points should be made clear when dealing out reputation.

The reputation system on Turkish Living works in such a way that it's not possible:

• To give reputation to the same member twice in a row. You must give reputation to someone else before it's possible to give it to the same member again. Right now, you have to give reputation to at least 10 other members before giving it to the same person again.
  • To hand out reputation to the same user before a set amount of time has passed.
  • To hand out any reputation if member has a negative reputation.

Receiving Good Reputation

If you would like to receive good reputation for whatever reason you can do a few things to speed up the progress. Just remember, it’s not a contest.

The system is not very susceptible to fraud. If you want to get good rep, you work for it.

Heres a few tips:

Help out!

Help out a fellow member, give them that extra bit of information or a good suggestion. Basically if you’re active on the Ask a Question or any of the Turkish parts of the forum. You will get rewarded for your kindness.

Write a useful guide!

(Yes, the irony is killing me.) Being a big help by writing a good guide is always good for positive reputation from members. But remember, the moderators won’t accept just any guide, so think before you decide to write a guide.

Hang around in the The Cafe or Clean Jokes!

It pains me to be so shallow. But it’s the truth nonetheless. The Cafe or general chat areas of the forum provides more room for fun talk and amusing threads. Not being bound by discussions on Turkey, members loosen up here. People introduce themselves, swap a few jokes and have fun. And where there’s fun, there positive reputation. Make a joke or two and your chances will skyrocket.

Make friends

As obvious as it is simple. If you tend to stick around here for a while. Why not make some friends? Friends give friends reputation. And thanks to the rules, you can't abuse reputation exchanging among 2 members. So be sure to make as many friends as possible.

I hope everyone finds this useful and we can see some positive reputation flying around the forum in the future :lol:

Merv!

Last edited:

Andy

Well thats something i didn't know for as long as iv'e been a member on this forum i had no clue what those little green dots were.

Andy

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Hi Andy :lol:

You know you really shouldn't believe everything you read.....not even on TLF.
Once those little green boxes are all filled do you really know what happens? No, want to think about it? :w00t: Once every member has filled in all their little boxes we shall have enough energy to send ET back home............the lucky ones who filled their boxes in first get to go with him........ :)
Now I know im at that funny age, have fluffy moments and have just gone through another three weeks of hell with the original 'Adams Family' which isn't over yet......but how do I give people stars? Yes, Andy the more stars you get, the more likely you are to have your very own milky way..... :der: Any sensible answers please........

MKC

parrot said:
I gave up the will to live halfway through the explanation.
And us haha!!!
Perhaps its clearer once you start but we were going around in circles too.

madturkishcow said:
Hi Andy :lol:

You know you really shouldn't believe everything you read.....not even on TLF.
Once those little green boxes are all filled do you really know what happens? No, want to think about it? :w00t: Once every member has filled in all their little boxes we shall have enough energy to send ET back home............the lucky ones who filled their boxes in first get to go with him........ :)
Now I know im at that funny age, have fluffy moments and have just gone through another three weeks of hell with the original 'Adams Family' which isn't over yet......but how do I give people stars? Yes, Andy the more stars you get, the more likely you are to have your very own milky way..... :der: Any sensible answers please........

MKC
We can see why you have 4 little green boxes Jen.
Your posts are always brilliant.
Go to the top of the class
X Factor is next!!!

Now we know about all these green dots and stuff can anyone tell us where our bad post exclamation thingy has gone as everyone else has got one and we feel left out . We have the green dot though so we arent suicidal yet!!!!
LOL

Mushtaq

Founding Member
The bad post icon does not appear on your own posts

Hi Readers,
This is great posting.
I've only been a member for a few weeks and I'm slowly learning how to use the forum with all the kind help from many great members.

I feel as though I'm a member of a happy Turkish Family! LOL

Old Merlin's a wizard isn't he?

Regards
Alan
I solemnly swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. LOL

speedy

merlin said:
What will good/bad reputation do?

Well, at first glance it doesn’t do a whole lot except that it looks cool underneath you avatar. It won’t get you any privileges or anything of the sort. What it will do is prove that you are indeed a respected and helpful member. So what do you care? Well,

• If a member has a very good reputation, you can consider their replies/information useful and trustworthy. You don’t get reputation for nothing! As the forum keeps growing it’s good to know what a member is worth since a single post doesn’t tell you a lot about a member!
  • On the other hand, if a person has very bad reputation, you can draw your own conclusions and decide to frown upon his/her remark or suggestion.
Merv!

Does this reputation work as I am getting a complex as I have never got off the mark yet and still have the same reputation as someone who may join today or do people just not use this function anymore, I am sure there are lots of people here including myself who have given some good info but their reputation doesn’t reflect this, or maybe my info has been cr*p lol.

What do people think or have did they not know about this function, have any of the moderators got stats as to when rep points were last given and maybe those not getting any can learn from this.

If you think this is a good post, give me a greeny or if you think it’s cr*p take my hard earned rep points away

:w00t:

Last edited:

Martyn

Hi Speedy

It does work I just gave you some reputation. I must admit that I forget to give this out when someone posts useful information or goes out their way to help me so perhaps everyone should take a look at the people that are helping them and give some out. Its the bottom left of the post(scales icon).

speedy

cheers Martyn looking at yours I am in the conference league and you are in the permiership lol, at least the post has highlighted that it is there to be used

Paul

parrot

speedy said:
Does this reputation work as I am getting a complex as I have never got off the mark yet and still have the same reputation as someone who may join today or do people just not use this function anymore, I am sure there are lots of people here including myself who have given some good info but their reputation doesn’t reflect this, or maybe my info has been cr*p lol.

What do people think or have did they not know about this function, have any of the moderators got stats as to when rep points were last given and maybe those not getting any can learn from this.

If you think this is a good post, give me a greeny or if you think it’s cr*p take my hard earned rep points away

:w00t:
Yes Speedy,I'm a bit confused on this as well,I've seen some with lots of green and quite frankly,they talk a load of b-----ks,is it a case of the old friends network,you give me one and I'll give you one(reputation points that is)or am I just one of lifes cynics,is it just for street cred.I'll probably lose mine now,such is life.

Last edited:

speedy

Steve,

Even you have very few for your contributions in fact we now look to be on equal par to a member who joined yesterday and has a total of three posts but the same rep or at least that’s how it looks to me?

I guess it’s good if used properly and most people probably and not abused, I don’t use it as often as they should, I haven’t used it much but perhaps I will in the future.

Paul

Last edited:

Andy

Well Well Well you guys what is all the fuss about
you don't find me complaining, iv'e been a member
on this Forum for a year next month i log on every
day when time is free iv'e made over 1300 Threads
& Posts and i would like to think that iv'e had some
input on the Forum and also been given some exellent
information from many experienced members.
But frankly it dosn't bother me that i have no reputation
at the end of the day it's down to the members, that
is those that know how to give it.

Guz1

Speedy,

Ashamed to say that I'm guilty of not giving reputation points where they are deserved. I had forgotten all about them. To be honest, I don't usually pay much attention to the reputation of others either. Have given you some now and will be more diligent in future.

Maria.

speedy

andy chapman said:
Well Well Well you guys what is all the fuss about
you don't find me complaining, iv'e been a member
on this Forum for a year next month i log on every
day when time is free iv'e made over 1300 Threads
& Posts and i would like to think that iv'e had some
input on the Forum and also been given some exellent
information from many experienced members.
But frankly it dosn't bother me that i have no reputation
at the end of the day it's down to the members, that
is those that know how to give it.

Andy,

Where was my complaint? It was not a complaint what crossed my mind was that fact the someone joining yesterday and posted three times has a greater reputation than may others including yourself and I have been posting fairly frequently since Mushtaq started the forum.

And seeing people's reputation being enhanced so quickly made me bring this to peoples attention again.

Paul.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom