Ronak

Foreigner buying an apartment : which Istanbul neighbourhood?
Hello everybody!
This is my first ever question here, I really need your help :)

I have decided to buy a small apartment in Istanbul, let’s look at some facts first lol

- I have a budget of just around 250,000 TL in cash, and I can spend around 500,000 TL maximum

- I love Turkish people and their language, I would love to find a place where I can be surrounded with nice families and shops and cafes and stuff to improve my Turkish, and I don’t mind busy streets or a bit of noise.

- I don’t own a car and I don’t drive, I would much much rather be as close to the main city as possible

Ok now the actual questions:

Question 1: - I have already contacted a real-estate agent and plan to visit Istanbul next week to look at a few apartments. This agent and many others keep insisting that I buy a place in Beylikdüzü, which seems sooo far away from the main city. What do you think about this? The area seems a bit lifeless (sorry, I mean no offence)

Question 2 : can I find a small apartment around Kadikoy under 500,000 TL? I would rather buy a relatively new apartment and it’s fine if it’s just a one bedroom.

Question 3 - which neighbourhood would YOU recommend for such a limited budget?

Question 4 - a friendly Turkish guy recommended an app/website called “sahibinden” and explored the content a bit. I was confused because the prices are much cheaper than anything our agents offer. Can I trust this app? I’m not planning to buy an apartment from there, I’m just wondering if the prices can be trusted?

Thank you so much and I’m really sorry that this is so long, but I really need some honest and unbiased answers, please help me :)

Ronak xoxo

shash

shash
Re: Foreigner buying an apartment : which neighbourhood?

Welcome. You will get much helpful advice on here. Good thing you've chosen TLF as you may just have saved yourself a fortune already. Good luck.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom

Hi Ronak, welcome to the Forum. Generally sabihinden is a good reliable Forum and I would expect that the prices are lower than an estate agent would offer to a foreigner. In many people's eyes foreigners are there to be expoited.
having said that if a property has a particularly low price then be warned, something is not right. there are no free lunches. people have been known to 'sell' property that they do not own.
Also be aware that some of the photos on these sites may not be the property being sold, or the photographs may be very old. You need to actually go to the apartments and look at them, but also the area. Return to the property at night to see if you feel safe there too.

Good Luck

Kanga

Always ask for minutes of the last owners' meeting and a set of the accounts. Go over them very carefully and ask other owners if they are happy with the management.
Make sure that there are proper procedures in place for managing the building and check insurances.

Ronak

Thank you everybody for all the useful replies!
Do you think Beylikdüzü is too far away?

shash

shash

Where is Beyilkduzu?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom

Most of us here on TLF are foreigners and many not familiar with areas of Istanbul. I lived there for 3 years, and worked with colleagues who travelled from all areas of Istanbul. I would recommend that you seek to live in an area which is safe, has local amenities and you can reach work with only one bus/tram ride. When you have to make multiple connections (bus, ferry,tram) in bad weather it is very difficult.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom