bickern

Five parties declare support for joint presidential candidate
The question is, will it be enough? I gather many are of the opinion no, and RTE has got it sewed up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaders of five opposition parties released a joint declaration on Wednesday expressing their full support for Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu, the presidential candidate jointly nominated by the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) and the National Movement Party (MHP) to run in the upcoming election.

The declaration states that the five political parties support İhsanoğlu as a presidential candidate who they believe will reinforce the principle of separation of powers and adopt a language of love and peace, instead of one of violence and hatred, toward all segments of society. İhsanoğlu's main opponent is Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who is running on the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) ticket. The declaration also stated that İhsanoğlu would act in an impartial way toward all religious and ethnic identities in the country and that he would combine the principles of Turkish Republic founder Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the core values ​​of the republic and the spiritual values of the Turkish people.

İhsanoğlu thanked the leaders of the five political parties in a message he released that same day. Noting that the signatures on the joint declaration clearly show that he is a candidate over whose name the Turkish people have reached a consensus, İhsanoğlu said in his message, “For this reason, it is a most important target for me to win over my dear brothers who [previously] voted for the AK Party.”

Latest Posts

Top Bottom