MarkD

First Visit
Going to stay in an apartment at the end of August with the missus for two weeks, and its my first time abroad!

Heard about turtle beach, and some mud baths, but thats about it, i need some things to do for 2 weeks. Generally interested in history, nature, anything really.

I have heard some bad things about the water / waste drainage / some foods, but from what i can see the appartment is fairly new, and the town is sort of touristy, so im hoping its not too bad?

Anything to look out for, or must see?

I would like to take my DSLR with me, but i'm a bit nervous about it getting stolen, is it any more likely it happening than in the uk?

Also, whats the best thing to do about money, get a wedge changed over here, then take it all over with us & hide it around the apartment, or just use my debit card over there? not sure on charges etc?

Any other info i should note before coming over?

really excited, from what i've seen it will suit me down to the ground, though i am worried about the heat!

Thanks very much for any information.

Mark.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
First Visit
You said your comeing to an apartment But you did'nt say Were ? It would help to answer your questions Turkey is a Big country . I think as you've heard about mud baths and turtle beach you may be comeing to Dalyan ? However theres also turtles on Pattara beach . Were ever your going you won't be bored . Do NOT leave money around the apt thats very foolish in any country . If you open an account with Nationwide Flexi account you won't pay debit card charges its free . If you keep valuables with you or in apt safe it should be fine . As for the heat well its better than this rain ! No need to bring sun lotions or big bottles of shampoo ect its all available . Some sun lotions cost a bit more . Now i'm off to bed 2 20am Let us know were your going to Diane

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
First Visit
Hiya Mark, I assume you are staying in Yalikavak, you will be a fair distance from the mud baths and turtle beach although it is doable but would mean a long trip, you could also visit Ephesus and the virgin marys house, again a long trip (in the opposite direction to mud baths) but well worth the visit for its history. there are travel agents locally who can arrange trips for you or you can hire a car, but as this is your first trip abroad and Turkish driving is 'interesting' to say the least I don't think I would do that if i was you.

You will be very close to Bodrum, with the castle and the mausoleum remains and also Turgutreis for its market every Saturday not to be missed, but be prepared to haggle, both of these are accessible by local public transport called Dolmus which are minibuses that travel along the coast (be prepared though dolmus means stuffed in Turkish so draw your own conclusions from that although again an experience) Gumusluk is between Yalikavak and Turgutreis its a small fishing village noted for its fish restaurants and rabbit island. As with anywhere you will have to be careful with anything you bring, cameras, money etc just don't be fooled into thinking that there is no crime here, there is if you are unlucky so just be vigilant.
the weather will still be hot although will be starting to cool down a little. Hope you have a fantastic time in our little paradise. I live just along the coast from Yalikavak and fell in love with the place on my first visit 17 years ago. Enjoy!!!

waterbaby

First Visit
Gumusluk is not far from Yalikavak, The ancient ruins of Myndos are there. There is the old village of Sandima which is about 15 min walk from town and well worth a visit, its like a ghost village. Bodrum castle and mausoleum (sorry for spelling) approx 30 mins by Dolmus (minibus) You can arrrange trips to Ephesus and Pamakkale from a travel agent both well worth a visit. As for money , dont keep a load of it in the apartment. You can change money and travellers cheques here no problem or you can withdraw money from ATM's there are plenty in town. You can go on a boat trip, they go out daily from the harbour. There is plenty to do if thats what you want to do . But to be honest the weather is quite hot now and you might just want to spend your days on the beach or by the pool.
Dont forget your £10 note each for your visa upon entry to Turkey.
Hope you have a fab holiday.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
First Visit
Think i need to go to spec savers . Tired last night ......But still can't see Resort Name mentioned this morning !

MarkD

First Visit
Hi, yes sorry, staying in Yalikavak.

Thanks for the info everyone :peace:

Going to open a nationwide account, quite good, dont have to have it as my main account if i open a savings account with them, and only need £1 to start that, so really good deal.

Also thinking about the Santander Zero credit card, then we have protection from fraud (also, a backup incase we loose the debit card).

I'm liking the idea of the ruins, castles & things like that, looks very interesting.

Are there any good fishing trips?

Problem for me is i dont like sitting around, i like to be out & about doing things, i think i will have to take a few books if its going to be too hot some days.

Are there any dangerous animals / reptiles to look out for, and do i need any injections before i come?

Really looking forward to this, it looks like an amazing place, i cant wait to haggle in the markets and be able to actually swim in the sea (not like the lovely north sea!!)

Again, thanks for the info.

waterbaby

First Visit
No injections needed but plenty of mosquito spray , there of lots of the little blighters about. You can also buy mosquito plugs either in the uk or here you put a tablet in them and plug them in your room . A few nasties here but you dont usually see them , snakes, scorpions . Just use your laof abit, if you leave shoes outside make sure you give them a good whack before you put them on inncase something has crawled inside etc.
Im sure you will have a fab time.

First Visit
Hi mark, hope you enjoy your holiday in the bodrum area it is a good place for your 1st holiday abroad,can I ask why you picked turkey as what you seemed to have herd is quite negative ie bad water, food, drainage, touristy, heat and getting done over hope you encounter none of these things apart from the heat,
Have a great trip....Jim.

MarkD

First Visit
re: mozzies, do i need maleria jabs or anything like that? not had any injections for anything since i was in school (quite a few years ago) so not too clued up on it.

Got a very good late(ish) deal on the appartment, and found flights for £400 for two of us, which makes it a rather cheap holiday. I mean i hear alot of really good things about Turkey, i just wanted to find out how concrete the bad things were thats all.

We are on the top floor of a 3 story apartment building, so i'm hoping all the creepies will jump on the 1st or 2nd floor, and get tired of stairs so not venture further up :)

To be honest, i'm hoping any potential theives will think the same :p

Thansk for the help!

waterbaby

First Visit
NO maleria jab needed, no jabs for anything needed. Just mozzie spray for your body and your apartment will do. Where are you staying? in the center of town ?

captain

First Visit
re: mozzies, do i need maleria jabs or anything like that? not had any injections for anything since i was in school (quite a few years ago) so not too clued up on it.

You don't need any innoculations for Turkey.

Depending on where you are you might not want to drink the water - some places (like where my apt is) have really excellent water which is as good as UK.

Bottled water is available evrywhere.

It'll probably be fairly warm at the end of August :roundgrin but you can keep cool if you want to.

Yalikavak is a very nice small town, you'll have a good time I'm sure.

Doug

MarkD

First Visit
Its 1.5km from the beach, and 500m from Migros supermarket, if you know where that is?

Not overly keen on giving out the exact location as i've already said i will have my camera, and what level we are staying on, may be a bit ott, but i'd rather take as little risk as possible.

apartment looks really nice, with a pool, considering my last holidays have been in static caravans on the corish coast, i'm sure its going to be amazing.

MarkD

First Visit
Oh, and when im working i always drink bottled water, so i will probs just stock up on that when i get there. Do the shops stock normal brands like volvic and the like?

First Visit
Think you better get yourself a bottle of KALMS,think of the positives your going on Holiday to SUN,SEA and lovely cold bottles of EFES, just Relax and most of all ENJOY!!!

First Visit
sorry for going of thread but captain can you tell me were you are in gumusluk (not your address lol) as I dont know anyone here that drinks the water from the tap,tho we do use it for cooking...Jim

MarkD

First Visit
Thanks to Waterbaby, i have been informed we are staying in Gokcebel, sounds really nice, can't wait!

Thanks for all the help, any reccomendations are welcome for anything, days out, food, drinks, even places to avoid.

Brilliant forum & everyone is very helpful! cant wait to stay!

maggie

First Visit
Its so lovelley to hear someone so enthuisiastic about their holiday.

Just relax and enjoy it you will love it when you get here and just follow the good advice members have given,

I hope you will enjoy it so much that you chose to stay on the Forum long after your holiday.

Hugs Maggie xx

PASH

First Visit
Hi Mark, i have friends who stay at Gokcebel, its just on the outskirts of Yali, so if you enjoy the evening life in the centre i would allow a few Lira for a taxi home each night. Hope you have a great holiday

MarkD

First Visit
Hi Pash, thanks for that, are taxis readily available to go to & from Gokcebel? and do you know how much it costs?

Is it too far to walk?

I really can't wait, like i say, never been abroad, seems like a cracking place to pop my overseas cherry!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom