Useful Information

MJL

First move to Turkey
Hello all, I thought I’d post my experience for moving full time to Turkey, I’m grateful for any corrections in my post.

I think my biggest mistake was not starting my residency sooner, since my card turned up life has got so much easier, simple things like a SIM card for my phone and the local public hospital has been so different.also bills, banks and purchases online!

one thing I’m very disappointed with is the shops, I prefer to buy local but I’ve found a lot of places don’t have price tags on! I’ve had to furnish a two bed apartment with everything and was told some ridiculous prices in some places then looked online (I know you get better service locally but was on a strict budget)

I've managed to finally get a SIM card sorted, I’m on my 4th since moving here and the one I’m finally couldn’t be more helpful, not had to pay a penny until it’s activated! I’ve been paying almost 200tl each time before.

the water company need a ninja award, they snuck in, broken my tap and put a lock on it even though I was on a pre paid card with 23 tonnes of water paid for, but was not in my name, went in and sorted it that day and the same water ninjas took the lock off but left me with no tap to turn it back on, but they kindly disposed of the evidence of the broken tap and shot off. My lovely neighbour had the parts and replaced everything for me, but I wasn’t a happy bunny!

the local little shops are wonderful, and always have been in my past visits, my mum and dad had a village shops and they are a lifeline, they don’t sell everything, but are great.

but Turkey in comparison is a much better place, I just need to adjust myself to different ways

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
First move to Turkey
Glad to hear of your successful arrival, hoş geldiniz. A few photos of the brokem tap would have helped a complaint, but time to move on really, but you do need a tap to be able to turn off the supply if necessary. Which area of turkey have you moved to?

enoch

First move to Turkey
Abi is right life here needs a photo for everything if there is a problem for proof. My scooter was parked and a van hit it. Know who done it not a problem but the insurance wanted pictures of the scooter and van. So we had to remake the accident for photos, I was just lucky enough to have been hit by a good turk.

Last edited:

MJL

First move to Turkey
Thank you all, I had my first experience with the health care system here, I’m retired NHS myself but unfortunately with my 200 meter walk to my local carrfour 4 kengals decided I was their evening meal, I was only a few feet from my house but my neighbours saved my life.

oh heck, one of many things gone wrong! But still not regretting moving to Turkey!!

as with many people moving abroad we all miss our little home comfort food, luckily growing up my mum and dad always grew things in the garden and taught me how to preserve and make things, Sunday lunch veg was picked and served in less than an hour. I can cook, boil, etc, lol even dress any meat ( ruffles not included, that would be ridiculous)

but scaring from the bite marks are not so bad, the rabies injections drained me! And have planted out my garden , growing swedes which I love, just hope they can cope and my hanging baskets are doing well.

so positives and negatives. 😀👍

MJL

First move to Turkey
Hi ibrahim, I’m in didim. I think I’m just one of those people in life who try to do things by the book but get crapped on every time! But have gotten used to it over the years!
so I’m now five months into my move that was planned many years ago meeting a lot of lovely people and getting so much helpful advice that has been wonderful. But I’m still learning!

finally let my British cat out for a wonder, he’s old and has brain damage (was beaten over the head by a neighbour in the U.K.) but he loved the sun on the terrace, I was panicking so much as he gets lost now! So he's got a tracker attached . But our flight over together with Turkish airlines was brilliant, his seat was cheaper than mine!

my Turkish neighbours are absolutely wonderful which is a bonus , but can’t get a decent joint of roast beef, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The lady at is bank has been brilliant, got a credit card but only a 2000tl limit, o heck!

MJL

First move to Turkey
So in my personal opinion I should be able to speak a little more Turkish than the basic stuff I’ve learned over the years, my problem is I’m dyslexic, my delightful brother decided to crack my scull open when I was four years old. So learning for me is sssssoooooooo sssllloowwwww!

my neighbour (who is British) said today that lots have things have gone wrong for me, its true, not told the full stories of my adventure so far! But life likes to crap on me , and with some people shite doesn’t stick!
I love to garden, ad it’s progressing well, my cat as always now is by my side when I go outside he’s used to the house and is learning “his house” slowly. My Turkish neighbours know him now and the children aren't afraid of him as he doesn’t scratch or bite! My biggest worry he’s 13 years old and he helped me through my mums death from cancer and dads death from motor nuron . I myself had treatment for cancer. But if anyone knows of a British shorthair or main coon kitten for sale I’d be very interested, my cat loves kittens to play with, plus he will teach them our ways

margaret

First move to Turkey
So in my personal opinion I should be able to speak a little more Turkish than the basic stuff I’ve learned over the years, my problem is I’m dyslexic, my delightful brother decided to crack my scull open when I was four years old. So learning for me is sssssoooooooo sssllloowwwww!

my neighbour (who is British) said today that lots have things have gone wrong for me, its true, not told the full stories of my adventure so far! But life likes to crap on me , and with some people shite doesn’t stick!
I love to garden, ad it’s progressing well, my cat as always now is by my side when I go outside he’s used to the house and is learning “his house” slowly. My Turkish neighbours know him now and the children aren't afraid of him as he doesn’t scratch or bite! My biggest worry he’s 13 years old and he helped me through my mums death from cancer and dads death from motor nuron . I myself had treatment for cancer. But if anyone knows of a British shorthair or main coon kitten for sale I’d be very interested, my cat loves kittens to play with, plus he will teach them our ways
Lovely to hear about your new adventure and I hope you enjoy the next stage in your life with your furry baby. 😊😊

Reactions: MJL

Villa6

First move to Turkey
Hi ibrahim, I’m in didim. I think I’m just one of those people in life who try to do things by the book but get crapped on every time! But have gotten used to it over the years!
so I’m now five months into my move that was planned many years ago meeting a lot of lovely people and getting so much helpful advice that has been wonderful. But I’m still learning!

finally let my British cat out for a wonder, he’s old and has brain damage (was beaten over the head by a neighbour in the U.K.) but he loved the sun on the terrace, I was panicking so much as he gets lost now! So he's got a tracker attached . But our flight over together with Turkish airlines was brilliant, his seat was cheaper than mine!

my Turkish neighbours are absolutely wonderful which is a bonus , but can’t get a decent joint of roast beef, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The lady at is bank has been brilliant, got a credit card but only a 2000tl limit, o heck!
We are in Hutters valley Altinkum
we are over June to renew our residency permits
not come back this Christmas/ new year
we are thinking of downsizing in Hopwas /Tamworth and doing 10 months in Turkey
love Altinkum

Reactions: MJL

MJL

First move to Turkey
So, I’ve learned Turkish beef is no way similar to British beef, my Turkish neighbour tried to explain to me “it’s why we mince “. It’s tough as old boots!!

well guys ive found the solution to the Sunday roast!! Donations welcome, I might become a multimillionaire if I wasn’t offering this for free! Pmsl

so I brought a big “roast joint” as they call it and divided into three. Wrapped two up and put in the freeze, the last one I dry aged mysel. Dry it and wrap it in cheese cloth and put it in the fridge on a wire rack, I’m lucky as my meat compartment has a cool air flow. This takes a while and you have to cut off 30% of the outside for roasting. its a mature meat and works for normal cooking time.

my next recommendation that works very well without keeping meat to mature in the fridge for a couple of weeks is a slow roast, I’m not talking falling apart roast, but just put it in the oven at 75c for 5 hours for a 1kg joint, the beef juices are still amazing for your gravy

jakebeak

First move to Turkey
Hi there, so sorry to hear that you were bitten by some Kangals. That sounds like a very frightening experience! I hope you are feeling okay now. Didim is a nice town. By the way if you're after a non-pedigree cat there are always kittens here. Just a thought. Good luck with everything.

Chasey

First move to Turkey
Some of the steaks i have had local to Belek, Side, Antalya area are among the best i have eaten anywhere in the world so it must be possable to buy it in Turkey (I dont generally buy beef to eat at home) We found that the wet fish market and meet market in the Metro Cash and Carry Antalya were amazing. The beef certainly looks good but as I say steak is an occasional treat at the restaurant for me as I try to avoid meet generally that I don't get myself.

How far is Mugla?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom