Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
First crop of New Potatoes
We're new to this grow your own hobby, planted out some seed potatoes in March in a rather large tub, we've just had our first crop of new potatoes today, they were delicious. (Thank you BobtheNob for your advice early in the process). There is something so satisfying in growing your own, and the enjoyment of the work nuturing them, there's a few more to go at yet. The tomatoes are just about ready to pick. Hope now that we've now got the taste buds tickling, we may try other veggies. I'd be interested to hear of other's tales.

Lesley

Hi we are growing tomatoes as well this year, never had any success in years gone by (I think it was my half hearted attempt to be honest) but I have been trying hard this year and have two very large tomato plants with about 8 actual fruits and dozens of flowers, been watering them every night and they are looking good apart from the leaves are a bit curled and dry looking, they dont feel dry just look it, is this normal do you think or am I doing something wrong.

I dont want to spoil them now we are so close to actually getting a crop. Any advice welcome.

Jane

pldouglas

Hi we are growing tomatoes as well this year, never had any success in years gone by (I think it was my half hearted attempt to be honest) but I have been trying hard this year and have two very large tomato plants with about 8 actual fruits and dozens of flowers, been watering them every night and they are looking good apart from the leaves are a bit curled and dry looking, they dont feel dry just look it, is this normal do you think or am I doing something wrong.

I dont want to spoil them now we are so close to actually getting a crop. Any advice welcome.

Jane

Try a liquid feed, and never let them dry out, I water my greenhouse tomatoes twice daily.
I've actually got 14 different veg going this year including asparagus, butternut squash as well as all the usuals - leeks in particular are going a storm and the red cabbages are so lovley to look at that i don't think I shall want to pick them. We also have fruit trees; 2 apples, walnut, 2 cherry, peach and plum. Don't go for soft fruits though, not really our thing. I also grow all the salad leaves in troughs (like plastic windowboxes) that way you get a continuous supply and if they get too hot its easy to move them into the shade.
And yes the 'First Earlies' are a joy with lots of real butter and chopped chives.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Oh my, I don't think I'll ever get to the level of growing so much, just wish I could tho' because you cannot beat the satisfaction you feel. I've been buying asparagus (english) now for almost 4 weeks and know that soon that will be the end of the english variety and it's just so good. My hubby likes asparagus with eggs for breakfast, unfortunately I cannot eat any egg (albumen or the yolk).

Jane, good luck with your toms, and follow PLDouglas advice and you should be ok, I find that if mine look like they are wilting I take some of the shoots and leaves out and give them tomato liquid feed.

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
We're new to this grow your own hobby, planted out some seed potatoes in March in a rather large tub, we've just had our first crop of new potatoes today, they were delicious. (Thank you BobtheNob for your advice early in the process). There is something so satisfying in growing your own, and the enjoyment of the work nuturing them, there's a few more to go at yet. The tomatoes are just about ready to pick. Hope now that we've now got the taste buds tickling, we may try other veggies. I'd be interested to hear of other's tales.

Lesley

Hi Lesley, We did the same today, had our first early potatoes, we had them with smoked haddock Mmmmmmmmm. We are also new to the veg growing, although we have done tomatoes and green beans before. This year we also have onions, spring onions Garlic, Lettuce, Broad beans, a few peas,
carrots, and trying Swiss chard, never had that before but it is growing well, now looking online for recipes using it because it is supposed to be so good for you. Rasberries and Strawberris in the fruit line.

My poor garden looks like an allotment but it is as you say lovely to be able to eat something you have grown yourself. As I said to you on another thread we are off to Turkey in a couple of days for two weeks so it will bve interesting to see "the crops" when we return.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am also growing herbs, filled a large trough and put lines of basil, dill, coriander and parsley, great, put them on a wall and watered them, went out in the garden a few days later and found the trough on the floor with everything spilled out.

Dam I thought chuck it all back in just to clear it up, low and behold I now have herbs coming up thick and fast already mixed up. lol

Jane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom