thingthong

Fillet steak
Hi All

I was wondering where one could buy good quality fillet steak in bodrum?

Can one get some in Kippa or Metro?

Also what is the turkish translation for fillet steak?

Thanks.

PASH

Fillet steak
I get really tender and tasty fillets from the Migros. I may be wrong and someone will correct me but i think its something like fileto biftek

Guz1

Fillet steak
Ages ago Shirley posted a brilliant translation of meat cuts. I keep a laminated copy in Turkey. Think I saved it on the computer. If I can find it I'll post it here.

Someone else (possibly KKOB) did a similar translation for fish. I might have that too.

Guz1

Fillet steak
Here's the list of meat. It's easier to read on my printout, but the formatting didn't transfer when I copied and pasted it onto the forum.

Meat et…….butcher kasap
Ürün means product..ürünler products
So …et ürünleri .. meat products.

Koyun eti is mutton…….kuzu eti is lamb
keçi eti… goat’s meat..(usually tough)
Dana eti …is young bullock’s meat

İf you look in the dictionary dana comes up as veal…but this is not veal from very little calves as we understand it.

Turks rarely eat big pieces of meat.. .. A large piece of meat like a nice big joint of beef is called ‘tranç’’..and i havent seen the word in a dictionary..but a good butcher will know what you mean.
Biftek steak
Bonfil in some butchers this covers all good cuts ..sirloin, fillet, tenderloin,
Sığır filetosu ….. sirloin ..
Sağrı and but are rump.
Dana kemikli biftek..T bone steak
Kuşbaşı..literally means birds head..the size of the meat pieces.
This along with kıyma is the most used meat….
kıyma minced meat
you can choose a piece of meat and ask for them to mince it for you
you can have it yağlı fatty ..or yağsız..without fat
you can ask for 250 grams or even less
İki yüz elli gram kıyma verebilir misiniz…?
Say it.Ver-ebeel-eer…
Can you give me 250 grammes of mince.

You can buy mixed meat..typically 80% dana and 20% kuzu in kıyma and kuşbaşı..its cheaper.

Ust kol …shoulder
döş …brisket you can see this in rolls in some shops..and also they will mince this for you.
incik…shank or shin bone ...good if you are into making your own stock.
kuyruk tail
pırzola chops
külbastı ….cutlets for grilling
çiğ raw chee (hard Ç)
karaciğer liver jee er..(soft C)
sakatat is offal or giblets
çiğ köfte raw meat köfte which is heavily spiced and kneaded for a long time with bulgur….be careful with this.
Yürek heart
Böbrek kidney
Dil ..tongue
Kokoreç..lambs intestines
İşkembe tripe
Koç yumurtası…guess this one..(hint…koç is ram..yumurta egg)
İşkembe çorbası..a favourite after a late night.
Paça trotter usually sheep..
paça çorbası another late night hangover favourite
kelle is meat from the head..also a late night/early morning favourite
beyin.. brain
sucuk ..say it sujuck…spicey garlic speciality sausage normally sliced in thin pennies for a breakfast omelette..

kümes hayvanları is the general name for poultry (kümes means coop or hut)
tavuk is a mature egg producing hen
piliç is a spring chicken or immature cockerel
Hindi turkey.....goose kaz.....duck ördek

göğüs breast
kanat wing
but ..thigh/whole leg

if you want a chicken or bird cut into portions
ask for it …’’parça parça’’..say it parcha….in pieces

for some extra interest heres a few of the kebabs you can find around Turkey

beyti kebab..minced beef in a roll like Adana then rolled in thin pide then cut into bite size pieces and topped with yoğurt.. delicious.

adana kebab..famous for its heat and spiciness
urfa kebab is like adana without the heat but with extra garlic
it can also be served wrapped in thin bread..but not cut into pieces as Beyti
arap kebab mince cooked with grated tomatoes onions and peppers and hot and spicey and dressed with chopped parsley
tepsi kebab meat that has been pounded together with parsley and spices then pressed into a round tray topped with sliced onions ,toms and peppers and a tomato sauce..its cooked until the sauce is absorbed and eaten with thin bread..
kağıt kebab like a thin hamburger..but spicey cooked on greaseproof paper (kağıt-card) then wrapped in lovely soft lavaş …thin pide like bread.
testi kebab samll pices of meat cooked in an earthenware container
tandır kebab..large pieces of meat or chicken in a tandir oven.
ali nazık kebab..small pieces of meat served on a bed of creamed aubergine and yoğurt
çöp kebab..small bits of meat on wooden skewers.
şiş kebab..you all know this one
sac kebab or kavurma is meat cooked on a griddle..a hot sheet of iron
sac ..saj…not saç satch which means hair
doner kebab meat shaved off a revolving verticle spit and eaten in a dürüm/roll
İskender kebab..doner meat served on diced pide and topped with tomato and yoğurt sauce ..Bursa has the best ones.

Domuz and yaban domuz pig and boar
domestic pig is domuz..and wild pig or boar is yaban domuz
yaban meaning wild
there is no separate word…so Turks that tell you they don't know its pig are telling porkies!

The following list i took from a Migros site where i tried to load the pictures..but they wouldn't load.. at least the list is there and i've translated some of the most common things you will see...and interestingly the prices are there too

DANA KIYMALIK KUŞBASI ...small pieces of beef suitable for mincing.
12,70 YTL

KUZU BUT (FİLETOSUZ) ... lamb rump not filleted.
11,90 ytl

DANA STRAGONOF ..... beef stroganof..

DANA GULAŞ ............beef goulash
18,35 YTL

KUZU ŞİŞLİK BUT KG ..lamb rump suitable for şiş kebab
16,59 YTL

KUZU SISLIK KUSBASI lamb ready cubed for şiş kebab
13,99 YTL

DANA KOFTELIK KIYMA) dana kıyma suitable for köfte
13,15 YTL

SOSLU MARİNE DANA ŞİŞ ...beef ready formed and marinated
19,65 YTL

DANA ORTA YAGLI KUSBASI beef medium fat suitable for casserole
13,80 YTL

KUZU GERDAN neck of lamb
7,90 YTL

KUZU FIRIN lamb joint readily prepared for the oven..
13,29 YTL

KUZU KOL (GERDANSIZ) lamb foreleg without the neck
12,59 YTL

DANA SOTE beef for saute
18,55 YTL

KUZU SOTE lamb for saute
19,05 YTL

Kuzu Sırtı / Rack Of Lamb

Bütün kuzu pirzolas.....undivided lamb chops...

Last edited:

Guz1

Fillet steak
Here's the Fish list. Sorry that I can't remember which member deserves the credit for this.

FISH - BALIK (Pronounced Baluk)

Following are the list of fish still available and the season when they are the most delicious.

Barbunya (red mullet), from April to July

Çinekop (young of blue fish) after October

Çipura (gilt-head bream), all throughout the year. The most famous Aegean Sea fish. However recently it has been raised at sea farms, therefore you can meet both sea and culture Çipura. Obviously, sea Çipura is the most delicious.

Dil Balığı (sole) all throughout the year. Fried is recommended.

Fener balığı (angler fish) all throughout the year.

Gelincik balığı (rockling fish) from May to August. Also known as gaya fish among the Jewish community. With the belief that being the first fish eaten after starving at Sinai desert it is considered sacred. It is a tradition of Jews to cook this fish on Fridays.

Gümüş balığı (sand smelt) February, March

Hamsi (anchovy), from December to February. Although small, one of the most famous Black Sea fish. Delicious with various cooking styles such as frying, steaming etc.

İskorpit (scorpion fish), from May to July. Since it has poisonous thorns absolutely let the fisherman clean off.

İstavrit (horse mackerel), all throughout the year. It is very enjoyable to catch this fish during spring and summer on the pavements of Bosphorus coasts.

İzmarit (blotched picarel), from February to April. Again it is very enjoyable to catch this fish during spring and summer on the pavements of Bosphorus coasts

Kalkan (turbot), from February to April. A Black Sea fish. The ones weighing 4-5 kg. are eligible. For it has thick spine and fishbone always let fisherman clean off.

Karagöz (sea bream), all throughout the year. One of the most delicious fish of Turkish seas.

Kaya balığı (goby), all throughout the year.

Kefal (gray mullet) from January to March.

Kılıç balığı (sword fish), from August to April. One of the most delicious fish, but unfortunately it is almost impossible to find nowadays. Most fish served as Kılıç in the restaurants are shark or other white fish.

Kırlangıç (red gurnard), from April to September. One of the most precious fish soups of which is more than delicious.

Kofana (large bluefish), from September to January

Kolyoz (chub mackerel), from July to September

Levrek (sea bass), all throughout the year. This rare fish has recently been raised at sea farms; therefore you can meet both sea and culture sea bass. Of course sea levrek is more delicious.

Lüfer (bluefish), from September to January. The king of the Turkish seas.

Mercan (red sea bream), all throughout the year

Mezgit (whiting), all throughout the year. Can be seen on the stands of fish sellers almost every day.

Orfoz (grouper), all throughout the year

Orkinos (tuna fish), a kind of fish that cannot be seen on the stands of fishermen. They are used for canning purpose only

Palamut (bonito), from August to January. A black sea fish. Richer than other fish with vitamin A and D.

Sardalya (sardine), from July to October

Tekir (striped goat fish), from February to July

Torik (large bonito), from September to November

Uskumru (mackerel), from November to January. Once the most popular fish of Marmara! However now you can only find the imported Norwegian mackerel. Most of the fishermen try to convince you that chub mackerel they sell is mackerel. Don’t believe.

Zargana (garfish, garpike), March and April

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
Fillet steak
Thanks - that's a great help. Have copied it and will laminate as suggested. Am determined to make a greater effort when shopping this year!

Sally

Guz1

Fillet steak
Don't thank me - I just copied and pasted other people's work.

I formatted the meat list so the Turkish name is in bold print. Even have the picture of rack of lamb that Shirley posted, but I couldn't figure out how to copy the formatted list into a post.

Fillet steak
If you have a favourite restaurant where the fillet steak is the best you've ever tasted ask the owner where he buys it. We have done that - not in Bodrum I'm afraid - and get the best ever bonfilet for 30TL a kilo. The drawback is that you have to buy the whole filet as he wont cut steaks off it but it works out about 70TL or so (2 kilos) and we freeze the rest.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Fillet steak
Fillet steak in Turkey is excellent, I usually buy mine from Metro but the trouble is it is a whole fillet about 1.5+ kg. If I do this then I cut it up into usuable portions and then freeze what I do not need.
Kipa in Bodrum does not always have fillet but if they do they will cut it to size for you. Cost is about 32tl per kilo but well worth it and far far cheaper than scottish but dare I say it just as good if not better.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Fillet steak
I don't ask for anything in Metro because a) my turkish is non existant and b) it is in the chill room. Centre aisle at one end or the other wrapped in plastic or you can find whole fillets already frozen in the first aisle opposite the chill room.
It is so obvious that it is fillet steak but bonfil should be printed on the label. I have never had anything except the best from Metro.

Fillet steak
You will find that fish/meat is a lot dearer in the supermarkets than in a local butcher or fishmarket.

Last week I bought a whole fillet from the butcher we use in Side for 33 ytl

sue

Latest Posts

Top Bottom