nwclio

Fiat Cars
Just wondered if anyone out there has ever owned or knows somene who has had a Fiat 126..Wondered what they are like so if anyone knows good or bad things then ley me know..
Cheers

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Fiat Cars
my recolection of the fiat 126 was rust, tiny engine with no power !

but cute !

martin

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
Fiat Cars
They were also badged as lada. if you are asking because you want to buy the turkish model ,they are no where near as bad as back in the early days.

Himmycats

Fiat Cars
the 126 became the polski fiat, dont remember the lada badge

martin

Yes Martin, you are right! the 126 became Polski Fiat as it was done in Poland. I am a car enthusiast and Fiat cars are not worth a penny, the only good attractive in them is the price, same as for the French. These are disposable cars which after few years, they are good just for scrap as the expense for repair would be too high. Well Italians were always know to be good chefs but never as good engineers. Okay lets keep out the Ferrari aside, but that kinda car is giving you what you will be paying for.

If you want something similar to the 126, but reliable and long lasting, and you want something european, look at nothing accept a VW - Fox, Polo or Lupo - or a Skoda Fabia or seat Ibiza, which nowadays they are VW group!

Japanese are reliable too, but they tend not to be as fuel economical as the POLO.

My recommendation - STAY away from FIAT, CITROEN AND RENAULT. Peogeot are not bad, but I would still prefer most of all VW.

nwclio

Fiat Cars
Would have a Renault Clio over a Polo anyday. Have worked on both, the Polo is well made but the Clio has that little bit on drivability and fun. Was asking about the Fiat instead of a scooter, fixing it wont be a problem as I have most tools needed. If I can find a good 126 I will have my 150cc scooter for sale shortly.
I just wondered if anyone had one and thought it a quirky little runnabout, not the Fiat rot-box like the Panda and likes..

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Fiat Cars
I had a Fiat 126 in the early 80's, I can always remember it being so so cold inside the windows used to freeze up, lol, and Martin agree a rust box, but it got me from A to B, didn't ever let me down.

nwclio

Fiat Cars
I suppose they might not rust as much here with the warmer weather and the lack of the dreaded salty slush you get back in the UK every year!!
I have heard they go for ever if looked after so might be a cheap option for a runnabout this year..

pipermam

Fiat Cars
My husbands first car was a fiat 126. We had to push start it every morning in winter. Totally agree with Fix It Again Tomorrow. It was in our case.

nwclio

Fiat Cars
Well it looks like I have found the ideal Fiat 126, best see if I can find the cash to buy it now!
Am sure it will be a good little runnabout and not such a non starter like some of the ones people have owned. Watch this space..

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Fiat Cars
Well it looks like I have found the ideal Fiat 126, best see if I can find the cash to buy it now!
Am sure it will be a good little runnabout and not such a non starter like some of the ones people have owned. Watch this space..

do i see a restoration thread starting ?

martin

lesleykay

Fiat Cars
Just sold one on Ebay, great little run around

item number 250569504545 if you want to take a look

Have an old 500 1971 almost restored. If I can find out how to upload a photo I will.

Last edited:

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Fiat Cars
Yes Martin, you are right! the 126 became Polski Fiat as it was done in Poland. I am a car enthusiast and Fiat cars are not worth a penny, the only good attractive in them is the price, same as for the French. These are disposable cars which after few years, they are good just for scrap as the expense for repair would be too high. Well Italians were always know to be good chefs but never as good engineers. Okay lets keep out the Ferrari aside, but that kinda car is giving you what you will be paying for.

If you want something similar to the 126, but reliable and long lasting, and you want something european, look at nothing accept a VW - Fox, Polo or Lupo - or a Skoda Fabia or seat Ibiza, which nowadays they are VW group!

Japanese are reliable too, but they tend not to be as fuel economical as the POLO.

My recommendation - STAY away from FIAT, CITROEN AND RENAULT. Peogeot are not bad, but I would still prefer most of all VW.

Your right. The four manufacturers you mentioned are not even in North America,have not been for many years actually. Peogeot are not there not are Skoda. I do wish we have Alfa Romeo though, beautiful cars.....We don't have the Ford Mondell either which I think is a smart looking car also.

Bob

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Fiat Cars
I do wish we have Alfa Romeo though, beautiful cars.....Bob

Hey another alfisti, beautiful cars they are indeed Bob here is a picture of mine.

Car1.jpg

Unfortunately up for sale as we are moving to Turkey.

dalyansteve

Fiat Cars
Any pre conceived ideas and thoughts about cars, Fiat in particular, are blown out of the window in Turkey. When buying an older car here you need to think of which models are the staple, cars that you would not be seen dead in, in Europe, are what you need to look at. Any Fiat, Renault or Ford that was built in Turkey can be fixed in any saniyi and therefore are still popular and still stupidly expensive. But the parts are cheap and always available. If you can find a decent 126, it should prove to be a fairly decent and reliable cheap runaround, even though it was built in Poland, have a look at Renault 12, Fiat 124 and 131, all crap cars but still plenty of good ones around and very popular, though a Palio would make more sense but more expensive.

nwclio

Fiat Cars
Had a Tofas Serce before and yes people looked at me but it was reliable and cheap to keep going. Sold it to get a scooter but miss four wheels so might see if the 126 is as good as it looks in the pictures. Its a "91" model so the last they made for Turkey i think as they all seem to be "91"s..Its got history and looks mint so I might be on to one of he good ones. Love Alfa's too..Nothing like the noise of the boxter engine in some of the older ones, makes Fords and the rest of them seem dull!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Fiat Cars
Unfortunately up for sale as we are moving to Turkey

That's a beautiful car, I would bring it with me if I were you.

Bob

nwclio

Fiat Cars
Missed my chance of the 126 I wanted as the person sold it before he said he was available,typical. Looked at a second option in Didim and have given up on the idea of a 126 so must see if I can find another cheap runnabout to buy if anyone has any suggestions?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom