teosgirl

Female and male students living together 'against conservative, democratic character'
POLITICS - Female, male students living together against our character: Turkish PM

Yet again meddling in peoples morality. Apparently cohabiting is against the Turkish conservative, democratic character. That's right, making a personal decision about who your housemates are is against Turkishness.

Is it really the PM's job to comment on who students rent homes with?

On top of this personal interference, the religious directorate, head of the religious affairs ministry whose budget exceeds that of 11 other government ministries including Science and Technology, health and tourism, has issued a fatwa against tattoos. I really think, for the sake of transparency, the ministry should be renamed to reflect their atual responsibilities; something along the lines of "The (Sunni) Muslim monitoring agency."
Expect those businesses to be targeted next.

LOCAL - Turkey's Directorate General for Religious Affairs issues fatwa against tattoos

Charlotte

giglets

Female and male students living together 'against conservative, democratic character'
LOL!

Even I have gotta laugh at this one.

bickern

"Per the DIrector of Religion the following quote "The statement also mentioned that the Prophet Muhammad said that those who changed how they were created were distancing themselves from God's mercy and grace." I could not agree more, why are men then circumcised and why does everyone shave. Both are alterations to Allah's plan!!!"

David Hutchison

the narrow and dirty mind of a man leading 75 million people who is on record as saying when talking about women
"men ony look at you one way and that why we cover you ..for your own good "
he is an insult to the majority of normal men but has his followers with the same mind set

i like his phrase our democratic character...seems he is redfining the word 'democracy' to suit the AKPs morality..clearly he doesn't understand the concept

teosgirl

POLITICS - Turkish PM says gov?t ?has to intervene? in mixed-sex accommodation

However, according to the prime minister the state couldn’t turn a deaf ear to intelligence information they received regarding the condition in the student houses as well.

“These complaints come from the neighbors living in the same apartments, their neighbors denounce them.

“With our governorships and security institutions we are evaluating these kinds of information and addressing them,” he stated.

Asserting this shouldn’t be perceived as an “intervention to lifestyle,” prime minister insisted it is state’s duty and responsibility to act upon these issues.

“Mothers and fathers cry out asking ‘where is the state?’ These steps are taken to tell the state is here,” he said, adding he knew that parents wouldn’t allow girls and boys live together as well.

The prime minister’s stance regarding the issue first came public when daily Zaman reported his statements in a closed-door meeting held on Nov. 3 with his party deputies.

“We witnessed this in the province of Denizli. The insufficiency of dormitories causes problems. Male and female university students are living in the same accommodation. This is not being checked,” he was reported as saying.

Apparently gossip regarding two consenting adults bed habits is considering 'intelligence' in Turkey. How sad, how tragic.

Also, instead of the 'new democratic reforms' which aimed to stamp out 'discrimination' the PM is now actively supporting prejudice.

Finally, who is he kidding, trying to persuade people that 'parents' are the ones concerned? As if the parents of these university students don't know who their children are living with, or can't raise their children with state interference!

This is just another attempt at social engineering, more social pressure against those considered less pious.

Charlotte

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Must be chilling reading for young westernised , non fundamentalist Turkish folk.

Steve.

POLITICS - Female, male students living together against our character: Turkish PM

Yet again meddling in peoples morality. Apparently cohabiting is against the Turkish conservative, democratic character. That's right, making a personal decision about who your housemates are is against Turkishness.

Is it really the PM's job to comment on who students rent homes with?

On top of this personal interference, the religious directorate, head of the religious affairs ministry whose budget exceeds that of 11 other government ministries including Science and Technology, health and tourism, has issued a fatwa against tattoos. I really think, for the sake of transparency, the ministry should be renamed to reflect their atual responsibilities; somethingalong the lines of "The (Sunni) Muslim monitoring agency."
Expect those businesses to be targeted next.

LOCAL - Turkey's Directorate General for Religious Affairs issues fatwa against tattoos

Charlotte

Erdogan wants a better and more democratic Turkey ? So he says. Well - a good starting point would be to stop focussing on morality measures which centre on sexual conservatism and instead start focussing on the wider aspects of what constitutes morality and democracy. Taking stronger measures against those who perpetrate violence and intimidation to foreigners and those who commit property fraud would be a better starting point.In sha'Allah is a common expression I hear. I understand it to mean that whatever it is one wishes to do, will only occur if it is within God's plan. However, imho theft, fraud, violence, discrimination, corruption etc does not equate to the principles underpinning Islam. Why target cohabitation when there are far more pressing issues to deal with regarding rooting out the real problems which stain the alleged Turkish conservative, democratic character.

giglets

"Social Engineering" - you mean like under New Labour in Britain?

Terrible thing, right enough.

i think the thread is about Turkey not the UK

teosgirl

Tut Shirley, you should know by now not to feed the trolls; isn't that the name given to people who add nothing to a debate and post off topic comments seeking to sow discord.

You should pity them for having nothing better to do than hang around a forum posting irrelevant comments; my personal favourite was a one single word contribution 'Yawn' - he actually got thumbs up for it :)

Charlotte

giglets

Tut Shirley, you should know by now not to feed the trolls; isn't that the name given to people who add nothing to a debate and post off topic comments seeking to sow discord.
Charlotte

You mean like this one?

"Apparently Halloween brings the child out in a few members"

Charlotte

Only joking, honest :smile:

sağol charlotte ..its not just one fool we are dealing with its the whole Parti mentality

Last edited:

giglets

As you rightly said, Charlotte -

Yawn.

bickern

I thought Dave made a comparison, therefore it does add to the thread, as it would add clarity if the comparison is answered.

You may be right if you guess I am not a New Labour (read that as Blaire) fan.

teosgirl

I agree Shirley. Whilst it isn't important to some people, the fact that the PM openly encourages prejudice, discrimination and segregation of the sexes is hugely worrying, especially for many parents.
I believe the PM aims to create a situation where people are afraid to live freely, out of fear of being publicly judged and condemned (such as suggesting it's morally questionable for young adults to live together, even though it's perfectly legal) the same as the media over the past few years have been self-regulating out of fear of RTE's wrath, people will begin to self-regulate their behaviour in order to appease the hardline conservative members of their community.
Those same hardliners are strengthened by his comments, and feel more confident in labeling and criticizing activities they deem 'haram'.

The PM uses religion as a tool to control people - if you refuse his definition of a 'conservative democrat' then you're not a real Muslim. He's guilt-tripping everyone into religious submission.

Charlotte

Latest Posts

Top Bottom