ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Fat Tax'
I know this has been touched on before, but I read something recently that made me think.

I'm almost sure it was Ryanair that announced it was thinking of introducing a tax based on passenger weight and/or waist size. This will be a long way down the road, if at all, due to mainly legal reasons, but it's interesting to note that this wasn't Ryanair's brainchild - this resulted from a poll of their passengers where one in three of them were in favour of surcharging very large passengers.

They said that apart from the discomfort caused for all concerned, there were important safety implications, which I have to say I fully agree with.

Incidentally, many airlines in the US charge obese passengers for two seats - if the plane is not full they get a refund. Anyone who's been to the US will probably have noticed an awful lot of very large people so I suppose that's why the airlines there decided to take that approach.

I'm just wondering though, with the ever growing obesity issue in the UK, will the airlines eventually have to follow that policy here?

Ryanair suggested that the tax would apply to "every kg over 130kg/20 stone for men and 100kg/15 stone for women; every waist inch over 45 inches for men and 40 inches for women; every point in excess of 40 points on the Body Mass Index (+30 points is obese); or for a second seat if a passenger’s waist touches both armrests"

Interestingly, the major insurance companies last year announced that life insurance customers would be charged up to 50% more it they were obese.

I remember going to Bodrum two years ago and a huge woman was seated beside me next to the aisle- I was in the middle seat. In the three seats in front of us were her husband and two kids who were also very big. It was the most uncomfortable 4 hours I've spent I think and the smell of BO from the woman was nauseating (not sure if that was because she was big though!).

What really concerned me though were the safety issues involved should there be an emergency and you needed to evacuate rapidly. The airline did not consider my comfort or safety at all when they placed the woman beside me which really hacked me off, but I suppose they have no policy on this or are afraid to introduce one for fear of being sued.

I know this is an uncomfortable topic for many, but since we all frequently air travel, what's your views on the matter?

C

Martyn

'Fat Tax'
How do you determine fat though, by weight, bmi, waist etc? Then some people are overweight because of medical conditions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it because I'm fat because i'm not but, I'm inputting for the discussion. I think it can only really work as the states have defined it, if you cannot fit in one seat then you get charged for two. I'm for it in that case.:roundgrin

'Fat Tax'
I think there are two issues associated with obesity really.
One is regarding seats and the other regarding weight. I have been fortunate, so far, in not being sat next to a huge person on a plane. But if this were to happen and my "space" was compromisd I would complain to the cabin staff before takeoff, and ask that either the fat person or I be moved. I do not see why I should have to put up with being squashed because of someone else's size. We each paid for the same amount of space. If they want more then they should have to pay for it, not pinch mine.
It is extremely annoying having to watch the weight of your luggage so carefully (we always weigh ours) only to find yourself stood in the checkin queue behind someone who clearly weighs as much as you and your luggage put together. Yet we would be charged for each kilo over we were on our luggage. Surely, the fairest method would be for the weight allowance to be for the total of your body and your luggage?

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Fat Tax'
I think people, probably thin people as well, would object to being weighed at the airport though.

The other issue I would guess is that singling out overweight people could cause them a great deal of emotional stress too - some o/w people are like that because of a medical condition.

There has to be a balance though, and the 'average' sized, who are undoubtedly the majority, should be heard without minority and 'ism' groups screaming discrimination.

The airlines are at fault too though, because they pack 'em in and the space you have on a normal flight is seldom enough even for the average build passenger.

C

'Fat Tax'
I saw a story on the internet[ maybe I'll be able to think of it later to post a link], that some thin people are petitioning the airlines for a partial refund because they don't take up their entire seat because not all of the US airlines make obese people pay for an extra seat.
One rebutal to this story was that the airlines make the seats smaller now. The fact is that people are bigger now.
I feel that if a person weighs enough to be two people-and too many do-then you should have to pay double.
I'm 30 lbs overweight myself so I can't really talk but, you can't go anywhere here in the states without seeing people-including small children so huge that they can barely walk.
The vast majority of people here in the states don't get any form of exercise and when I go to the supermarket and am at the checkout, I make a point of noticing what people buy. And let me tell you its 90% processed crap and the rest fatty meat.
I know this because I live here-it's an epidemic.
Last fall when I flew to Chicago, the stewardesses actually looked for obese people in the back of the palne and had them switch seats with thinner ones in the front because the plane couldn't take off! This was close to a half hour delay because the captain refused to procede with take-off and some of the people refused to switch seats.
I was stunned and I would have never believed what was happening had I not been there.
I always worry that I'll get stuck sqished between someone obese when I travel. It's extra stress that noone needs.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Fat Tax'
Here's some stats from the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention re the weight changes since 1960;

'The average weight for men aged 20-74 years rose dramatically from 166.3 pounds in 1960 to 191 pounds in 2002, while the average weight for women the same age increased from 140.2 pounds in 1960 to 164.3 pounds in 2002.

Though the average weight for men aged 20-39 years increased by nearly 20 pounds over the last four decades, the increase was greater among older men:
  • Men between the ages of 40 and 49 were nearly 27 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared with 1960.
  • Men between the ages of 50 and 59 were nearly 28 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared with 1960.
  • Men between the ages of 60 and 74 were almost 33 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared with 1960.
For women, the near opposite trend occurred:

• Women aged 20-29 were nearly 29 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared with 1960.
  • Women aged 40-49 were about 25½ pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared with 1960.
  • Women aged 60-74 were about 17½ pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared with 1960.
Meanwhile, the report documented that average weights for children are increasing as well:
  • The average weight for a 10-year-old boy in 1963 was 74.2 pounds; by 2002 the average weight was nearly 85 pounds.
  • The average weight for a 10-year-old girl in 1963 was 77.4 pounds; by 2002 the average weight was nearly 88 pounds.
  • A 15-year-old boy weighed 135.5 pounds on average in 1966; by 2002 the average weight of a boy that age increased to 150.3 pounds.

• A 15-year-old girl weighed 124.2 pounds on average in 1966; by 2002 the average weight for a girl that age was 134.4 pounds'
Hope you don't think I'm picking on Americans! The country has however the biggest growing problem regarding obesity. Britain is on it's way.....

C

'Fat Tax'
These stats are what you get when conveniene foods and lack of excercise are the norm. Thank you for posting them.
The largest problems are in small communities here in the US.
I live in a town of about 7,000. You have to have a car to go anywhere. You can't just walk to a shop because all of the commercial centers are far from residences. I live less than a mile from a huge Wal-Mart but have to take the car because there are no walking paths-just highways with speeding traffic.
There are thousands of towns like mine in the US, and that is where you see the majority of not overweight, but huge people with so many health issues that nothing short of intervention will help them.
What I love about Europe, and can't wait to go back, is that you can walk everywhere or take a bus or tram.
Only the largest cities in the US use public transport, and then most here think it a hassle instead of convenience.

red

'Fat Tax'
I can imagine (its never happened to me) if I had to sit next to someone REALLY huge taking up my space I wouldn't be happy. So I'd hope I wouldn't make their journey even more horrendous by moaning to air crew I think I'd probably just squash up during take-off and landing and jog up and down the plane during the flight:)

Grace - I've never heard of a plane not being able to take off!!!! I don't think Brits are that big - yet:)

I don't think buying two seats is the answer as the gap in the middle would make it so uncomfortable, why not just introduce extra wide seats and sell them at a higher price, I bet lots of large people would prefer this and it would prevent the horrible weigh in option taking off.

I can travel OK as I am small - 5 foot 4 and under 9 stone, but my fella is 6 foot 2 and 14 stone, he only just fits in a seat.

nanamo

'Fat Tax'
I am overweight but I can fit into a seat but my kids who are not overweight pay the same fare as me. We travel as one biggish person, 1 normal weight person and two kids, if you add up our combined weight it would equate to 4 smaller than average people.

Molly

'Fat Tax'
I would like to see extra-wide seats, especially for long flights.
I don't remember exactly when business class was introduced, but this takes up a lot of room from the back forcing the rest into overcrowded conditions.
We poor folk are sqashed like kippers whilst first and business class get to unfold their seats into beds.
People with the big bucks are in control and we either like it or lump it.

Martyn

'Fat Tax'
I would like to see extra-wide seats, especially for long flights.
I don't remember exactly when business class was introduced, but this takes up a lot of room from the back forcing the rest into overcrowded conditions.
We poor folk are sqashed like kippers whilst first and business class get to unfold their seats into beds.
People with the big bucks are in control and we either like it or lump it.

You can always pay business class :roundgrin

bobthenob

Non Active Member
'Fat Tax'
Let see if l have this right.You go to the check in and questioned about your appearance as being over the acceptable weight,where you are humiliated in front of all the staff and other travellers revealing the weight for all to see that is lit up with flashing sirens.

You pay the extra,so as not to cause a scene,but mumbling under your breath of the cheek of it.Then you arrive at your holiday destination for the two week stay to stuff your face silly with cholesterol busting foods and drinks.

At the end of the holiday your weight has ballooned to more then2 stone but your still allowed to board the flight without paying for the extra weight you have put on.
With a 170 passengers on board on a average of let say for each person with the weight gain during their stay is about 1/2 a stone,that means the flight back is 87 1/2 stone heavier going back.

So why is it that the plane can still take off just as easy as it did back in England and also does this mean the passengers are more restricted in their own space then when they left England without even paying that extra fat tax they have gained during the two weeks stay.
lt's one of those conspiracy theories from the government again to sway the people into thinking this is a good way for them to think thin ,because they have exhausted all the other channels to rob more money from the public,so they decided to think of another stunning plan to feed the selfish faces of he political world.They exhausted the motorist,house owners,environment etc.

What is the next excuse for the government to exploit more money from the publi when all the people have suddenly become thin.Tax the one's with smelly armpits and breath that smells like a fart.l wonder how they are going to police that one.

nanamo

'Fat Tax'
Jeannie, you and me can buy 1 1/2 seats each and sit next to each other - loadsa room
Molly x

Latest Posts

Top Bottom