The Igor

Wreckage
Experiences with TTnet english support?
Last sunday i found myself without connection to a swedish server that transmits data to my computer. It is not a big amount of data, text and numbers equal to a few kilobytes. I called the servers technician and he said that my computer was offline and could not receive or send anything. That was not the fact, i was online, so we tried a couple of things and discovered that somewhere down the line the server in Sweden was blocked from accessing my computer and vice versa.

It has been working perfectly since i hooked up to that server, but all of a sudden it was gone. Last time it worked was saturday evening. That day the Internet connection was awfully slow and unstable so my guess is that they did something to fix that and at the same time "fixed" my connection to the server.

I tried to fill in a support ticket on TTnets english webpage to no avail. Tried three different web browsers and none worked. Error message was not translated so i could not understand what they wanted me to do.

Now i have to call TTnet english support instead. Question is, how good are their english? And are they skilled enough to understand what i am trying to solve? Or.........is it waste of time and air to even try to get them to fix this? I´m on a 8/1 unlimited connection.

Martyn

I know nothing about TTnet but may be able to help with your connection. Are you connecting via http(web browser) or some other type of connection(ftp or other ports)? Do you know the ip address in case it is a dns problem? What errors do you get?

The Igor

Wreckage
Ohhhh even better!

The traffic is going over port 80, regular http port. I´ve tried both traceroute and ping, the server is unreachable and "the other end" can´t telnet to me on port 23.

But.....when i use my VPN solution (Swiss VPN) i can both ping and reach destination with traceroute. The signal then takes a totally different way as it seems from the listed traceroute hops. When i tried a traceroute today the results looks like below:

C:\Users\XXXX>tracert -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

Tracing route to xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.2.1
2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 78.164.160.1
3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 81.212.72.61
4 16 ms 16 ms 15 ms 81.212.217.50
5 209 ms 207 ms 210 ms 212.156.120.25
6 226 ms 208 ms 209 ms 81.212.26.130
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.

It reaches and passes hop 6 which is a Turk Telekom IP, then it stops.

Martyn

It could be a router blocking it but sometimes they just don't 'answer'. You do need to talk to someone who controls the router that is blocking the ip. If a router goes down normally it will go via another route. I think it will be a problem as you know the technical bits so you need to get to a higher level, that is difficult even in the uk! If you have a technical email you could capture the trace to file(you probably know how to do that) and send it for evaluation. If you don't know it's either a re-direct to a file i.e. tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx >C:\results.txt or capture from the dos session via copy.

If the vpn works from elsewhere then the site is ok. You could try one of the free proxies and go that way i.e. Anonymouse.org

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
If you call the TTNet customer service department and opt for an English speaker you're likely to get someone who knows the words but probably doesn't speak the language as well as you need them to. They generally just follow a Yes / No flowchart on a computer.

You're probably better of getting a local "Techie" to phone them on your behalf.

The Igor

Wreckage
Thank you ever so much for help! I think you are correct about the fact that i have to reach a higher level of support than the one provided by the regular "call center idiots" that usually answers the phone support. Question is how i go about to do that......

Good idea about sending the traceroute results to a file, i´ll do that right away.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i am not using TTnets DNS servers, i use OpenDNS to get around all the censorship they are applying.

If you call the TTNet customer service department and opt for an English speaker you're likely to get someone who knows the words but probably doesn't speak the language as well as you need them to. They generally just follow a Yes / No flowchart on a computer.

You're probably better of getting a local "Techie" to phone them on your behalf.

Been thinking about that too, seems like a pretty good idea :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually had better responses from the English speaking support - they are well educated and know what they are doing. I'm surprised you didn't just call. Do you also google emergecy services during a fire? Only kidding, give 'em a call. If you want to try to access Sweden using a UK VPN, PM me for a temporary ID, pass and server number.

The Igor

Wreckage
I've actually had better responses from the English speaking support - they are well educated and know what they are doing. I'm surprised you didn't just call. Do you also google emergecy services during a fire? Only kidding, give 'em a call. If you want to try to access Sweden using a UK VPN, PM me for a temporary ID, pass and server number.

Hehehehehe, i see what you mean :smile: Thing is that i have this "occupational injury" from being an IT professional for so many years. The first thing i always do is to try to fix it meself, second break the computer in small parts and third call the support....:w00t: PM is on the way....

LyndaW

When i had a problem with ttnet i found the man at the support centre spoke very good English. He even phoned me back several times to check how things were going.

Lynda

The Igor

Wreckage
Despite fantastic assistance from Martyn and Neil_Gumusluk i was not able to fix the problem by myself. So after smashing the puter into small pieces and then put it all together again i decided to call TTNet support. Oy vey! No answer, the signals just wen beep-beep-beep-beeeeeeeeeep four or five times, then there where silence! And tomorrow is a one-day general strike in Turkey so i guess i have to wait until friday to call them. Annoying, to say the least.

The Igor

Wreckage
Boooom, all of a sudden it started to work again! Most certainly a temporary flaw in TTNets infrastructure. Now i am happy :)

Martyn

Good news, it's happened before to me and certain sites in the US for me were unobtainable. the routers never updated dynamically so they remained like that until the fix was done.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom