ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Expat Retirees - Buy Or Rent?
Some useful fors and againsts of buying or renting abroad that may just help you make a decision.

'Perhaps the typical ‘dream’ of a retirement abroad includes living in a beautiful villa overlooking the calm Mediterranean or Caribbean Sea, sipping a long cool drink on a terrace on a balmy evening and enjoying a relaxing life in a stunning location overseas. After all, who would turn their nose up if such a fantasy became a reality?

However, should expat retirees actually buy property abroad and become the proud owners of the dream villa/apartment overlooking stunning views – or should they perhaps rent a home overseas and never commit too much to their new nation of choice?'

Here

C

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
In hindsight we think we'd have been better off renting, at least for the first 6 -12 months.

Peregrine

definitely rent, especially if its for a relatively short term.

Spend the cash from the sale of the UK house and thumb your nose at the offspring whose "inheritance" you are blowing. would that get them back?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
That's why it's called SKIing ! Spending the Kid's Inheritance. :lol:

Pete&Mag

Maybe we all should have thought laterally when we bought. If we had spent the cash on a small terraced house in the Northwest of England we could have had 6 hols a year in Turkey on the rental income. and had a less problematic asset in England.

i rent, first year at gumusluk, second at turgutreis. when i decide the time is right and the circumstances ok, then i would think of buying. rents here are fine, it's worth waiting.

hijo

in my own clique
.. looking back now ..i would definatly have rented, if you had the money to buy in the first place ..just put it in the bank ..the interest would cover your rental and your bills..and you would still have your initial stake, if and when you decided to buy:eek:hwell:

Martyn

.. looking back now ..i would definatly have rented, if you had the money to buy in the first place ..just put it in the bank ..the interest would cover your rental and your bills..and you would still have your initial stake, if and when you decided to buy:eek:hwell:

Yes would have done things differently had I been a member of this forum then. I have learned a lot over the last 4 years of being on TLF.

Exactly! That's why I rent and have no intention of buying! In any case I couldn't afford to buy a spacious apartment in the middle of town, 1 minute from the beach with sea views to die for.

dalyansteve

We were advised 15 years ago to rent for at least a year, firstly to find out if you actually like the place you are living and secondly to make sure that you can both benefit, in some way, from the new life style and thirdly to make sure you like each others company. Very good advice indeed which I pass on to anyone who asks.
Another tip is if you must put your money in some dream home in dodgy circumstances, of which you are all aware that there are some, you must be able to walk away, relatively unhurt, if all goes dreadfully wrong.

traveller

Yes would have done things differently had I been a member of this forum then. I have learned a lot over the last 4 years of being on TLF.

Quite agree with both sentiments - wish we had stuck to plan A and just rented first. Hindsight is always 20-20 vision.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I bought some time ago when prices were low and the rip off the foreigner mentality hadn,t really taken hold so I have no regrets with buying.

I bought some time ago when prices were low and the rip off the foreigner mentality hadn,t really taken hold so I have no regrets with buying.

Seconded.
I jumped in with both feet 6 years ago, after just one week in Turkey, & have the most wonderfull home & time of my life there, yes with the stunning view & glass of wine on the patio, watching the sun set over the agean.

My Daughter & twin grandsons(4yr old) would hang me from the tallest tree if i even mentioned regrets!

Of which i have none.

butt007

Warren
Damn right, absolutly spot on mate, been here nearly 3 yrs don't regret 1 minute of it.
Warren:28:

Last edited by a moderator:
We are renters and would have it no other way. After nearly 2 years living in a lovely villa we have fallen in liove with Akbuk and are now going to move into another house with stunning views and 2 minutes from the sea. Renting has given us the freedom to follow our dream.

This is the view that will greet us each day.

2kht0m.jpg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom