Mushroom

Even Dick Turpin wore a mask !!
Just in case you are planning to collect anyone this year from Manchester airport, take your change with you.
If you recall the days when you could drive up to the arrivals area in your car, stop briefly to collect whoever it was you came for and their luggage then drive away again at no expense, forget it !

Courtesy of the loonies who attempted to cause untold damage at Glasgow airport last year by driving their car up to the building but failing to make any impact, and the greedy b******s at the airport, we now have as I am sure you are aware, a bit of an exclusion zone which prevents our cars getting so close to the buildings.
At Manchester, when you now turn up to collect someone in your private car, you have to drive into a car park which is only about 50 yards from the exit from arrivals (in terminal one anyway) and having collected your ticket at the barrier, you park up, collect your lift and then PAY £1.80p for the 1st half hour, or in my case today, for what amounted to about 3 minutes in the car park.
A blatent rip-off, with absolutely no free time.
In my case, I had checked on the t'internet that my old ma would be landing at 4pm, got in the area at about 4.30 and used my phone to ring her as she was just collecting her case.
She said she was just about to leave arrivals and foolishly I said I would drive to outside the terminal to collect her.
There are two choices at terminal one. Taxis can stop to drop off and pick up just outside the building,(terrorists have obviously never thought of driving up with a bomb ladened taxi !) but the road is policed and restricted to the rest of us. So that one wasn't picked, leaving the entry to the car park.
Once on the entrance there is no turning back, no reversing and as soon as the ticket is obtained, the barrier is up and the clock is ticking.
In my case 3 minutes equalled £1.80, but for anyone turning up and then having to wait for more than half an hour a small mortgage was required.
Having had a look around, I noticed that there was a petrol station about 150 yards from the arrivals exit by the roadside.
If I have this to do again, I will pull up in the forecourt and put a few quidsworth of fuel in my tank while my lift is getting in the car and at least it isn't lining the pockets of the greedy swines who run the airport !

Rant over

cheeky chops

lifes a beach
mushroom
they did the same at birmingham last year you get a little more value for money though

1. long stay parking only-- to help relatives to arrivals or collect from depts you get first 20 mins free

2. immediately in front of deps and arrivals is strictly taxi and disabled lane entered by barrier /ticket cost £1 ..orange badge holders have to go inside terminal not leaving the vehicle empty and get the ticket from the barrier on arrival validated for free parking on the diabled badge scheme if the vehicle is left empty it will be classed as abandoned and removed so any disabled person going to collect must therefore wait till there passenger comes out into the area and then they can go and validate the ticket probably needing there passport , birth cert,council tax bill, full address on letter headed paper,

or option

3. you can enter the lane at the side of the disabled lane taking you to the car park which at the bottom has a zebra crossing which will cross you over the road directly in front of the taxi and disabled cars also at the cost of £1
where the zebra crossing is there are o bollards to stop a car driving through.

i have recently heard many debates locally concerning all these points and birmingham airport confirm that it was not introduced as a money making idea.
and also that anyone with the mentality of blowing an airport up would not be prepared to waiste £1 on parking fees or ordering a taxi to do so.

what i have always said as in a situation like uk where there is no bag scanning on entering the airport anyone can walk into any arrivals / deptarts entrance and leave a bag around, unlike many airports abroad.
it was recently discussed regarding introducing full bag scans at entrance and said it would be used at busy times of year as it would cost to much to police so you can see a way through straight away if you would want to do harm only go at quiet times of year.

it would be funny if it wasnt such a serious issue. how do these people get there jobs.

as for parking up / filling up at the petrol station and watching the airport for your passenger you are probably on cctv camera and likely of being arrested for watching the arrivals doorway as a suspect. lol

as soon as we land at birmingham i phone the person who is collecting us who lives 20 mins away and by the time we are through they are there for us .
what a palaver

cheeky chops

Last edited:

Martyn

They have been doing this for a while at Luton airport(certainly a long while before the Glasgow incident). I usually wait on the outskirts( 2mins away) then people phone when they are out so there is no waiting.

yalicat

Mushroom said:
Having had a look around, I noticed that there was a petrol station about 150 yards from the arrivals exit by the roadside.
If I have this to do again, I will pull up in the forecourt and put a few quidsworth of fuel in my tank while my lift is getting in the car and at least it isn't lining the pockets of the greedy swines who run the airport !

Rant over

Sorry Mushroom, but most of what you pay for petrol is for taxes so the buggers get your cash one way or another!

Mushtaq

Founding Member
This has been the case at most London airports for a while, they have made sure they get as much money from you as possible while once you get to the airport.

Mushroom

I have come to the conclusion that we really are in 'rip off Britain'

The provincial airports are much easier to reach,and a bit more lenient in some respects, but flying from them is normally more expensive.

We seem to be stitched up whatever we do, other than get dropped off/picked up about half a mile away and do some walking.

Somehow couldn't see my 76 year old ma and her suitcase doing that.

Harem

I've cliqued
At Dalaman airport there is a minimum charge of over 6 lira.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom