ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Europeans Polled on Turkey
'Europeans widely believe that it is a democratic political system and economic factors that define European identity and want candidate countries to fulfill these two criteria first and foremost to be able to join the European Union, but they tend to reject Turkey as a member, not on political or economic grounds, but on the assumption that it is culturally different, according to results of a new survey'.

The poll was carried out in Britain, France, Germany, Spain and Poland, with opposition to Turkey's EU accession coming mainly from France.

Here

C

Perhaps there will be another survey discussing European opinions on Democracy.

Only one question.

On the scale of 1 to 10 (1= bad; 10 = good)

In your opinion how do you rate the democratic procedure of having a non-elected president for the European union?:25:

Gin&Tonic

I personally cant see the Turkish culture fitting into a European way of life, on both sides there would be problems as the cultures are so far apart. I want to leave Turkey once I've sold here and not because I dislike Turkey, its the culture I find so hard to cope with.

İ think that Turkish culture and other Eastern European countries (Romania Albania etc) share a similar culture.

Gin&Tonic

İ think that Turkish culture and other Eastern European countries (Romania Albania etc) share a similar culture.

Yes they do, its the Western European culture that is so different from the Eastern culture and can the two sit comfortably side by side. I'm not sure they can and this could be the stumbling block.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Whatever country people move to its culture won't be Brittish will it . The culture and food etc will be different . The mindset in Turkey is a million miles from ours . But how they think shouldn't affect how you think and behave in your own home . Now its coming up christmas so are brits going to ignore it cos they live in Turkey ? Or are they going to join in The feast of sacrifice and cut a goats throat ? I Don't think so . I took a tiny tree and all my cards to a hotel in 2007 . And the cleaners all came to see it . I think much better to rent for a couple of years then buy a house . The only thing i don't like is the call to prayer at 5am The rest of it i love ... Diane

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Talking to some Turkish people about europe last night and didnt find one that wanted to join, It would appear that they havent had the greater debate about it themselves yet. maybe they are proud of their culture and dont wish to surrender it to europe.

non elected president of the eu ? cant see the problem of an elected group of people choosing or electing a figurehead so long as the elected group make the decisions the people elected them to make ! some hope !

martin

Gin&Tonic

Whatever country people move to its culture won't be Brittish will it . The culture and food etc will be different . The mindset in Turkey is a million miles from ours . But how they think shouldn't affect how you think and behave in your own home . Now its coming up christmas so are brits going to ignore it cos they live in Turkey ? Or are they going to join in The feast of sacrifice and cut a goats throat ? I Don't think so . I took a tiny tree and all my cards to a hotel in 2007 . And the cleaners all came to see it . I think much better to rent for a couple of years then buy a house . The only thing i don't like is the call to prayer at 5am The rest of it i love ... Diane

You're quite right, of course the culture will be different and most of the time it doesnt matter. The part of the culture I struggle to understand is the attitude to women and animals, the appalling things I've heard and seen, I cant believe are happening in the 21st century.

Aleynasdad

having worked all over eastern Europe I can honestly say there is almost no difference between eastern European culture and Turkish culture except for religion. And even then, what about Bosnia and parts of Bulgaria and Greece which have sizeable Muslim populations. Thsi woudl be increased if any of Ukraine, Kosovo, FYROM, Albania or Moldova joined the EU. What this shows us is how little Europeans really know about Europe.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
HMMM Gin & Tonic . I also hate the way they treat animals But i think in time brits may make a differance . What if we didn't help the animal shelters and take in the street dogs and cats . But i understand what you mean . As for the way they regard women Well the least said soonest mended . I.m married to one but maybe not for much longer ...Diane

Aleynasdad

I see your point but that is not typical to Turkey. Animals are treated as vermin in many eatsern european countries and as for the way women are treated.... well as my former Romanian fiancee used to say for Romanian men woman= sex toy/slave

Latest Posts

Top Bottom