ceemac

Shake It Baby...
European Visa Rip-Off for Turks
This is completely unfair.

'My Schengen is my castle: Europe’s visa rules against Turkey

For most ordinary Turkish citizens, it is very difficult to get into European Union countries or other countries in Europe just to visit tourist sites or see friends living in those countries for a week or two.'

Here

C

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I read this article earlier this morning and noticed this glaring inaccuracy.

Most European Union nationals can come to Turkey without the ordeal at a consulate, and in most cases without paying a dime at the border.

He also fails to mention that most Turks will be stopped from leaving the country at the border if they haven't completed their National Service, in the case of males and, if they have an outstanding tax debt of more than 5,000TL (I think that's the current figure).

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
Another point is that there are no border controls between EU countries (apart from Britain) so if a visa is obtained for, say Germany, the visitor is free to travel to France.

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Another point is that there are no border controls between EU countries (apart from Britain) so if a visa is obtained for, say Germany, the visitor is free to travel to France.

For non-EU citizens?

C

Harem

I've cliqued
Well, we've crossed through a few borders and not found anybody manning the (often) falling down border checkpoints!!!

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Even if they do manage to get a visa -( Ibrahim has now got his 10 year one and has been visiting UK every winter for the past 12 years) They will still get questioned by the immigration officer on entry-- sometimes more than 15 minutes - asking WHY they are coming - WHY so long a visit each time - WHO is looking after the businss in Turkey - HOW can they support themselves ect ect
It makes him very angry but I tell him not to say much or they could send him back on the next flight !
It does not seem fair when he has spent alot of money to get these visa"s and done everything the correct way - he often says he would have been much better coming as an illegal or asylum seeker !!

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
My point exactly - it's unfair to be treated like that as we are not treated that way when we visit Turkey - well when I say we I mean British and Irish visitors - I can't speak for any of the other European nations but I'm taking it as read that they're not treated the same way.

C

When Turkey joins the EU they'll be able to go wherever they want. Don't forget they get back at us with their property laws (I cannot hold the tapu of my house and have to pay annually for the pleasure of owning a house in central Istanbul) and getting Turkish citizenship is much harder than a Turk getting German or British citizenship. I have worked as a translator for the foreign office (Russian language) and know that the visa rules are based on politics and the economic demographics of the country. I know a lot of middle class professional Turks and they have no problems travelling into Europe or the US. It's usually the uneducated or single Turks unfortunately who have this problem since they have to prove to the consul that they're not going to skip when they get there.

kelchocolate

Just Watch Me
Even if they do manage to get a visa -( Ibrahim has now got his 10 year one and has been visiting UK every winter for the past 12 years) They will still get questioned by the immigration officer on entry-- sometimes more than 15 minutes - asking WHY they are coming - WHY so long a visit each time - WHO is looking after the businss in Turkey - HOW can they support themselves ect ect
It makes him very angry but I tell him not to say much or they could send him back on the next flight !
It does not seem fair when he has spent alot of money to get these visa"s and done everything the correct way - he often says he would have been much better coming as an illegal or asylum seeker !!

I feel you luckycat,i used to get really really upset then .One immigration officer could use the B word!,who's had a bad day decides to take it out on me!. 15mins,that was good compared to the 4hrs that bloody woman kept me in the airport for. looking for everything and anything to say there was something wrong with my indefinite leave to remain,my husband almost got arrested cos he just lost it.In the end,to make things easy for myself and my husband i applied for and got a British passport.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Good for you Jules - what I want to know though is why are you feeling Luckycat ? heheh

C

There are one or two things to add to this. Istanbulexpat I dont agree with your comment about how its usually single and uneducated Turks who have the most problems. They can also be equally suspicious about middle class professionals. I have been married and living in Turkey for the last 7 yrs to such a middle class professional businesswoman. The hassle we have to go abroad on holiday is just unbelieveable. This summer we went to Switzerland and she had to take time off work to go up to Ankara to deliver the visa application in person...for a one week holiday. Then wait a few days...then collect it. Thus losing quite a considerable part of her yearly holiday entitlement in the process. This is what you lose if you dont live in Istanbul or Ankara. Not to mention the paperwork, flight details, sponsor letters, work contracts and references, bank account statements, details of house and car ownership, travel insurance documents. Last summer we gave up on plans to visit Amsterdam on her schengen visa that had been issued by the spanish embassy (and was still valid) when we had visited Barcelona the year previously. Oh no they said.....you need a schengen visa that has been issued by the Dutch embassy in Ankara! huh??? so whats the point of the schengen agreement then? And then the visa itself costs more than the cost of a Thomas Cook flight Uk to Dalaman. I can imagine that if the same conditions existed for Brits visiting Turkey for a holiday, then the yearly tourist numbers of Brits visiting Turkey would drop to about......3 or 4.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Personally i am glad that it is difficult for non EEC nationals ( i freely admit to hypocrisy here ) . for me the main problem is that some countries produce an inordinate number of economic migrants. It used to be that they arrived on tourist visas, then re appeared later with UK commitments that made it easier for them to remain.

The situation has no reciprocal between the UK and Turkey. Iraqi's, Azeri's and Chechens may be economic migrants in Turkey but very very few are from the UK.

Just my selfish hypocritical take on the situation.

Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom