bobthenob

Non Active Member
EU 'breaking promise' to Turkey
What do you expect if they can't honour the policies that they are payed to do from the E.U.l heard they have violated as many as 22[l don't know if that is true]and the corruption is flourishing just as fast and carefree as before without any action to curb it.Only words and no action.

PASH

Bob, Corruption in Turkey is no worse than Bulgaria, Romania etc. but we welcomed them into the so called club! Personally, i find the whole idea of the European club an utter waste of money. I vote we go back to the old days and have it as it was originally designed to be - a trading club!

Last edited:
My wife teaches at the local university and I go in to her class sometimes to speak English with them

In one lesson I asked how many of them wanted Turkey to join the EU. Not one of about thirty young students raised their hand. They all thought the EU would be bad for Turkey.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
My wife teaches at the local university and I go in to her class sometimes to speak English with them

In one lesson I asked how many of them wanted Turkey to join the EU. Not one of about thirty young students raised their hand. They all thought the EU would be bad for Turkey.

Is it for real economic reasons they didn't raise their hands or because Turks as a nation feel they are not welcomed and have their backs up?

Biker Bob

Is it for real economic reasons they didn't raise their hands or because Turks as a nation feel they are not welcomed and have their backs up?

Biker Bob

They didn't see any advantages - economic or social - in being part of the EU. They also distrusted the EU's intentions towards Turkey.

They felt Turkey would be better off without being a member of any club and in having independant relations with the EU, America, The Middle East and Central Asia.

Last edited:
The Old Groaner

Slouching towards Europe

We have been living happily in Turkey for twenty years, but they’re trying to drive us out. I think it started about fifteen years ago.
Our nearest town has an everyday market which is central to the town. It has been there forever and served well for the day to day needs of the locals and as a meeting place where, there being no local newspaper, radio or TV, the latest news circulated. Once a week, just as in most of Europe, was the weekly market when farmers and traders from miles around would set up their simple stalls and tents around the outside of the everyday market and business would expand to clog all the surrounding streets with seething masses of humanity, buying, selling and of course gossiping. There was a donkey and horse park not too distant and the several hundred cars native to the town simply stayed away.
In Bodrum, at about the same time, the weekly market was spread along the whole of the harbour quay-side, behind which was a continuous line of cafes and restaurants. What a fine day it was to buy a week’s supplies of fruit and veg’ then feel perfectly justified in sitting at ones favourite table to people-watch and to greet passing and stopping friends.
I think Bodrum was the first to act; market day was just too darned jolly! The local authorities had some old car-park designs lying around the offices so they constructed a concrete mess a little removed from the harbour and where there was no place for frivolities such as promenading or watching promenaders.
Inspired, I think, by the Bodrum initiative, our local town authorities then moved our weekly market somewhat out of town. That, in my opinion, marked the beginning of the end. Next came the banishing of the nut-vendors from the streets and sometime later the shoe-shines, the gas-lighter refillers and the serbet guys. [Though I daresay the latter were well in decline following the introduction of Coca Cola.]
Traffic lights came next; from none to about 30 sets virtually overnight. Later came the regulation that bread must be sold wrapped in plastic; and a few years on, that all food workers wear silly shower hats making even the most handsome restaurant worker look like a washer woman from Accrington, or Ena Sharples.
I’m told that these days, cars are required to be roadworthy. Hey, just a decade earlier our old Imam would ride his old horse into town on market day. Neither he nor the horse would ever pass a test pertaining to their safety on the highway, and furthermore we still have village men who I very much doubt would qualify to be let loose on the streets in or on anything more substantial than a pair of bedroom slippers.
Thankfully there are no laws in our village except the unwritten laws of decency towards one’s fellow man, and even they are open to widely different interpretation. It is true that our most recent murders resulted in the culprit being carted away, but I am quite sure that any crime such as assault or [hard to believe] burglary would be dealt with either by the victim, his family or “the village”. We have no planning regulations and no traffic laws.
However this year saw the threat of mass demolitions of illegal houses [OK, I lied about the planning regulations] and the erection of unnecessary and often erroneous traffic signs. Of course the illegal houses should not have been allowed to be built in the first place but the traffic signs are quite simply completely unnecessary. I suspect that they were erected for the same reason that all the aforementioned changes were made, just to be “MODERN”. I have come to realise that many Turks are snobs. Referred to by some as the “white Turks”, the big city people lean towards Europe and rather scorn the more rural, dare I say Arabic or nomadic influence which is such a large part of the culture of this land and its people. I fear that that attitude has seeped into the bureaucracy and the result is manifested in the examples I have given above.
And so we see the wonderfully exotic country which is Turkey slowly but surely head in the direction of Europe. Would that the politicians might realise that the country could head in that direction economically and in respect of human rights and law enforcement without necessarily destroying its unique character here on the borders of the Middle East and Asia.
Are you still wondering about “no traffic laws”? Listen; a year or two ago our Muhtar took it into his head to construct a roundabout in the village centre, central to it is an obelisk which may eventually bear a bust of Ataturk but which in the meantime has sported a clock which was quickly shot to death so was replaced by a fine piece of sculpture. Nobody who lives in the valley treats the thing as a roundabout; if you want to turn left you do so whilst admiring the sculpture out of your right side window. Imagine the confusion at weekends when townspeople visit, or in summer when tourists drive our roads. Strictly speaking it should bear signs informing non-residents that it is not a roundabout, but of course the signs too would be shot to death.
I’m a little undecided as to whether we should join Europe but I think perhaps it would benefit us personally. However if the government “civilizes” turkey to an extent that we end up living in a place not unlike Swindon or Stuttgart then we will start looking at travel brochures. [I fancy Patagonia but Frau is looking east.] When traffic lights replace our non-roundabout we’ll start to pack and when Cetin at the shop proffers a loaf of bread wrapped in plastic whilst wearing an Ena Sharples guise then we are, to use the American vernacular, out of here.

carolk

R.I.P
I think 'The Old Groaner' and Frau should leg it and not becuase of the EU!!!

carolk

R.I.P
No Dwight, thats not what I meant!! I meant the bit about a roundabout thats not a roundabout built on a whim and people drive anyway round it and he seems to think thats OK - a death trap for any poor tourist oops sorry idiot who doesnt live here!!!

Lets not forget the shooting eh!!

If you think thats OK you are entitled to your opinion, although why anyone would think that sort of thing is fine is beyond me - anywhere!!

You stick to the fish and chips and I'll stick to my local fare.

Last edited:

Bubskar

Hey Dwight - I couldn't have said it any better. What you describe is what I fell in love with in this country. Fethiye is now so sterile it's boring!

carolk

R.I.P
Well, you posted it and read it same as I did.

I will try and point out what I mean.

Listen; a year or two ago our Muhtar took it into his head to construct a roundabout in the village centre, central to it is an obelisk which may eventually bear a bust of Ataturk but which in the meantime has sported a clock which was quickly shot to death so was replaced by a fine piece of sculpture. Nobody who lives in the valley treats the thing as a roundabout; if you want to turn left you do so whilst admiring the sculpture out of your right side window. Imagine the confusion at weekends when townspeople visit, or in summer when tourists drive our roads. Strictly speaking it should bear signs informing non-residents that it is not a roundabout, but of course the signs too would be shot too.

Did I mis-understand you and you were not advocating that this is the way it should stay - no changes?

That was factual reporting dear lady. I will admit that it was reported with a certain amount of quiet amusement, but that is in our minds, part of the charm of our village. Hey gal', if you don't like it then you, not OG and Frau should jolly well..........

By the way..........SHOT TO, not shot too death.

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P
Thank you for the correction dear boy. I didn't say I didn't like Turkey I said, I thought his idea of quaint/charm was a dangerous one and a very bad example of what is good in Turkey! Clearly it didn't 'quietly amuse' me.

Hey laddie, maybe you, the OG and Frau should jolly well......... if you don't like progress of any kind. It will happen whether they get in the EU or not.

Harem

I've cliqued
Ha, DL (or OG if you prefer) - I didn't even realise that the thing was supposed to be a roundabout!!!! Never used it as such and never seen anybody else use it as such either!! (There is also one in Hisaronu which nobody seems to use as a roundabout)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom