hhsegibs

Epilepsy and marriage
Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me. I am hoping to get married next year in Gumbet, in my brother in laws family restuarant. However i have read on the internet that if you are epileptic you are barred from marrying in Turkey. I am epileptic so am concerned I will not be able to get married. I have contacted the embassy in London who said they did not know I have emailed the consulate in Bodrum and i am waiting for a reply. Any information would be great. Me and my partner are both British Citizins i don't know if that makes a different.
Thank you!!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Epilepsy and marriage
This is interesting, I can't see there being a problem. Maybe sombody is pulling your leg?

Biker Bob

pldouglas

Epilepsy and marriage
As long as you are not related in any way then I can't see it being a problem. I did read somewhere that there is a lot of concern, particuarly in GB, about cousins marrying and potentially passing along genetic ill health to any children. I guess these days a lot more is known about the subject of genetics and the potential hazzards and perhaps in countries like Turkey it is more common for cousins to marry and therefore the problems are being highlighted.

Sara-666

Epilepsy and marriage
We got married here and the only thing we were tested on and asked for was blood tests for Thallesemia as if both of you have this they ban you from marrying and AIDS.

Sara

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Epilepsy and marriage
Sara666
Can I ask what Thallesemia is please?
Thanks Carol
PS I finished an NVQ2 in Health & Social Care today but that didn't come up!

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Epilepsy and marriage
Thalassemia (from θάλασσα, thalassa, sea + αἷμα, haima, blood; British spelling, "thalassaemia") is an inherited autosomal recessive blood disease. In thalassemia, the genetic defect results in reduced rate of synthesis of one of the globin chains that make up hemoglobin. Reduced synthesis of one of the globin chains can cause the formation of abnormal hemoglobin molecules, thus causing anemia, the characteristic presenting symptom of the thalassemias.

Thalassemia is a quantitative problem of too few globins synthesized, whereas sickle-cell anemia (a hemoglobinopathy) is a qualitative problem of synthesis of an incorrectly functioning globin. Thalassemias usually result in underproduction of normal globin proteins, often through mutations in regulatory genes. Hemoglobinopathies imply structural abnormalities in the globin proteins themselves.[1] The two conditions may overlap, however, since some conditions which cause abnormalities in globin proteins (hemoglobinopathy) also affect their production (thalassemia). Thus, some thalassemias are hemoglobinopathies, but most are not. Either or both of these conditions may cause anemia.

More here [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia]Thalassemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

hhsegibs

Epilepsy and marriage
Thanks everybody for your input it the ban doesn't make sense to me fingers crossed it should be fine i didnt want to book anything to be told we cant get married. I wish it was just someone pulling my leg but all the websites i have looked on do say there is a bar odd hey!!

Feathers

Epilepsy and marriage
Hi, I was just wondering if you had received a reply about getting married in Turkey with epilepsy, as we are planning to get married over there but my other half has it. It is under control with tablets taken daily, but like you I dont want to organise the wedding only to find out we cant get married because of it. I dont quite understand the wording, epilepsy is a bar to marriage as it doesnt actually say it is prohibited like it does for marriage for close relatives. I hope you can help as I am panicking a bit!!! thanks

hhsegibs

Epilepsy and marriage
Hi,
Sorry I am no further forward then I was when I started. I have contact the embassay in London who said they didn't know which i thought ws really helpful. My epilepsy is also controlled by medication. I have read other reports from epileptic people who got married there and said there was no problem. I am just going ahead with it with my fingers crossed accomadtion is booked. They cant test for epilepsy through a blood test my only conern was it may detect the tablets but hopefully will be fine. When are you planning on getting married? My wedding will be the end of July 2010.
Sorry I am not much help
if i find anymore will let you know,
Emma

alison09400

Epilepsy and marriage
You are only tested for contagious diseases incl HIV and the HIBs (as well as Thalassemia..also known as the Mediterranean Disease). As far as I'm aware, none of our clients have been asked if they have epilepsy. Also having a disease does not stop a couple marrying...it's to make their fiance/fiancee aware they have it before they get married.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom