Maisie

Environmental concerns
We foolishly investigated installing solar panels years ago now. In the end, after looking at the figures, we decided it would not be worth the installation.

Now, however, I get at least two calls every week from companies who want to talk to me about "your solar panels". Obviously, our address is on a list which has been 'sold' all over the place. I am getting really fed up with these calls. Yesterday I registered with BT (landline) so that I can blacklist calls of this nature.

I also get regular calls from companies which are working in 'my' area wanting to come and give me a quote for loft insulation. I can now add them to the blacklist. The 'problems with your computer' and wanting to talk about 'your recent accident' calls, I might leave for now as I can have a bit of fun winding them up! I remember one call about 'your accident' which descended into the ridiculous. I was stringing the bloke along but he hung up when he asked for details of my injuries and I told him I had broken two fingernails.

Maisie

Mushroom

Environmental concerns
I used to wind them all up and I loved it, but it became too frequent, so we opted to block them out on the landline.
I still get them on my mobile phone, but not as often.
When it's about an Eco survey - I tell them to ring back later after I have shovelled a ton of coal into my bunker.
Conservatory - Yes, please, I just need you to measure up how it will fit on my second floor apartment.
Computer not working properly - That one can last ages by playing dumb. They ring off after 10 minutes.
Have you been in an accident in the last 3 years? -Yes. What were your injuries?- Very bad - I am dead and currently in Heaven sat on a cloud and playing a harp.

Camden

Environmental concerns
E0-Ig-Leu-XMAUfs-Hn.jpg

Assos is a tranquil Aegean-coast seaside resort situated among ancient ruins with a legacy dating back to the time of Aristotle. The beauty and splendor of this historical place is sure to take your breath away​

Assos, an Aegean seaside resort and historically wealthy town situated along the Edremit Gulf in Canakkale Province, is a remarkable destination worth visiting and a perfect location for a weekend getaway or an overnight stop combined with a trip to Gallipoli, Troy, Bozcada or Ayvalık. The region itself boasts endless coves and quaint villages set up against Mount Ida in the background and the Greek isle of Lesbos on the horizon. The scenery warrants a longer stay, however, the following is the ideal itinerary to visit Assos for a day.

Once home to Aristotle, where he set up an academy thousands of years ago, Assos, now officially named Behramkale, comprises three distinct settlements offering visitors the diverse experience of wandering through a cliff-top village, frolicking through ruins crowned by a temple to the goddess Athena, taking a dip near the sandy beaches of Kadırga and enjoying a picturesque evening at the old harbour.

FAm-Uw7o-XMB0mhxg.jpg

The tranquil Aegean-coast seaside resort Humph ! they shouldn't have re-zoned and allowed a Hotel to spoil it .... where will the waste go ?​

FAm-U72p-WYB4-Pt-0.jpg

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
I found this interesting.
Skellefteå has wooden schools, bridges, even car parks. And now it has one of the world’s tallest wooden buildings. We visit Sweden to see what a climate-conscious future looks like

Kanga

Environmental concerns
We foolishly investigated installing solar panels years ago now. In the end, after looking at the figures, we decided it would not be worth the installation.

Now, however, I get at least two calls every week from companies who want to talk to me about "your solar panels". Obviously, our address is on a list which has been 'sold' all over the place. I am getting really fed up with these calls. Yesterday I registered with BT (landline) so that I can blacklist calls of this nature.

I also get regular calls from companies which are working in 'my' area wanting to come and give me a quote for loft insulation. I can now add them to the blacklist. The 'problems with your computer' and wanting to talk about 'your recent accident' calls, I might leave for now as I can have a bit of fun winding them up! I remember one call about 'your accident' which descended into the ridiculous. I was stringing the bloke along but he hung up when he asked for details of my injuries and I told him I had broken two fingernails.

Maisie
BT lets you blacklist up to 100 caller numbers for free if you dial 1572.
You just phone and follow the instructions but do it straight after a nuisance call.

Maisie

Environmental concerns
There is no charge for adding numbers to the BT blacklist. I just log into my account and add the offending numbers.

Maisie

Chasey

Environmental concerns
I used to wind them all up and I loved it, but it became too frequent, so we opted to block them out on the landline.
I still get them on my mobile phone, but not as often.
When it's about an Eco survey - I tell them to ring back later after I have shovelled a ton of coal into my bunker.
Conservatory - Yes, please, I just need you to measure up how it will fit on my second floor apartment.
Computer not working properly - That one can last ages by playing dumb. They ring off after 10 minutes.
Have you been in an accident in the last 3 years? -Yes. What were your injuries?- Very bad - I am dead and currently in Heaven sat on a cloud and playing a harp.

I just tell them I live in Turkey ;)

Chasey

Environmental concerns
Just had an EPC done on one of my rental flats. Came out as a D so by 2025 I have to get it to C

The assessor said id need to insulate the solid external walls of the flat and suggested a cost of between 4,000 and 14,000 for these works????

The man is obviously delusional

To insulate the outside walls id need to remove the kitchen, remove the shower in the bathroom, install 50mm Thermal board which will alter the dimensions of the room so facilitate the need for a new kitchen, alter plug sockets so require rewiring of the flat and then after installation Id need a bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen replastered and redecorated.

4K is a joke and wouldn't even cover the bathroom alone. 14K is also a joke, I cost work like this all the time and I estimate apx £18,000 + vat so £21,600.

The rent is 575 pcm and the ground rent and service charges is 100.00pcm

So gross profit £475.00

The mortgage is £88.30.pcm so net profit £386.70

Sooooooo just 4.6 years rent to pay for the works

OH and this doesn't allow for rehousing the current tenant for a month whilst the work is carried out.

And once done the estimated saving for the tenant? £250.00 per year???

If the environmental impact were the REAL consideration here, the Govt would insist that ALL properties are to be brought up to a minimum standard of C before 2025

Instead, they hit a target that wont loose them an election when people faced with massive bills are in the voting booths.

NO way can landlords get their pre 1980s properties to a C standard by 2025

If this one flat is anything to go by, I'd need to invest around £300,000 to meet the standards.

Soooooo how do you think we will cover the investment?

Yes, massive rental increases or dumping the portfolio which will reduce rental stock and cause increased rental costs due to reduced competition and result in huge problems for local councils who are totally reliant on private landlords to provide housing stock.

So it either won't happen or the taxpayer will have to cover it with a redesigned green energy grant.

The end line benefit to the environment will be so immeasurably small as to be irrelevant, and many people will suffer.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
Now that we have a boat, I am horrified by the extent of weed in the lake (Eğirdir), all summer long the animals have had very little fresh food to eat. It makes sense to me that farmers be allowed (at their own cost), to harvest this weed for their animals. If this weed dies it will start consuming (instead of producing) oxygen and the lake will die (Eutrophication).
The cows love the weed, here is a photo that I posted a few years ago, taken from about 500m from our house.

Lake Egirdir May 2017 1 - Copy.jpg

Mushroom

Environmental concerns
We'd better send Greta Thunberg, Attenborough et-all to China then to tell them to stop building coal powered power stations then?
Meanwhile, we are too busy trying to pay energy bills for 'green' projects that do not meet our needs or even get close.
Our 1% CO2 contribution to the Globe isn't the cause of this predicament.
Go Greta, get them told !! Maybe not eh?

Chasey

Environmental concerns
Apocalypse NOW!

......................................... View attachment 24416

Michael Shellenberger has been fighting for a greener planet for decades. He helped save the world’s last unprotected redwoods. He co-created the predecessor to today’s Green New Deal. And he led a successful effort by climate scientists and activists to keep nuclear plants operating, preventing a spike of emissions.

But in 2019, as some claimed “billions of people are going to die,” contributing to rising anxiety, including among adolescents, Shellenberger decided that, as a lifelong environmental activist, leading energy expert, and father of a teenage daughter, he needed to speak out to separate science from fiction.

Despite decades of news media attention, many remain ignorant of basic facts. Carbon emissions peaked and have been declining in most developed nations for over a decade. Deaths from extreme weather, even in poor nations, declined 80 percent over the last four decades. And the risk of Earth warming to very high temperatures is increasingly unlikely thanks to slowing population growth and abundant natural gas.

Curiously, the people who are the most alarmist about the problems also tend to oppose the obvious solutions.

What’s really behind the rise of apocalyptic environmentalism? There are powerful financial interests. There are desires for status and power. But most of all there is a desire among supposedly secular people for transcendence. This spiritual impulse can be natural and healthy. But in preaching fear without love, and guilt without redemption, the new religion is failing to satisfy our deepest psychological and existential needs.
(less)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom