TLF Admin

Administrator
Environmental concerns
So how will you recharge when necessary? Do you have your own charging point, or will you have to leave your car out of sight somewhere?

Is it the case that once charged, the vehicle will retain the charge over a long period, i.e. for two weeks?

Maisie
The car comes with a charging cable which you can plug into a normal 13am socket, this is a slow charge and is meant for overnight charging on your driveway/garage, I have used it couple of times to test and to top up for few hours without any problems.

You can have a high powered charging point installed but the price I think is a rip off so I wont bother for now.

Luckily the place I work at has a charging point and I use that every couple of weeks when the battery goes down to about 40/50 %

So the running costs is virtually zero for me at the moment, I even drove through central London few weeks ago, my car is congestion charge free (y)

Maisie

Environmental concerns
Have you worked out whether it is cheaper to use domestic electricity to charge your car rather than buying petrol?

As you say, fortunately, you can charge elsewhere. Also, you have a garage. I would not trust the cable to still be there in the morning if you had to trail it over the pavement and into your home!

Maisie

Kanga

Environmental concerns
I reckon the lockdown and travel ban is a backdoor plan to reduce carbon and make the UK look good at COP26.

TLF Admin

Administrator
Environmental concerns
Have you worked out whether it is cheaper to use domestic electricity to charge your car rather than buying petrol?

As you say, fortunately, you can charge elsewhere. Also, you have a garage. I would not trust the cable to still be there in the morning if you had to trail it over the pavement and into your home!

Maisie
overall it's cheaper to use domestic electricity to charge over petrol/diesel, generally I think it works out at about 4/5p per mile for Electrical Car, compared to 10/15p for Petrol/Diesel

Have a look here for some comparisons;

You do need a driveway at least to keep the wires out of sight and safe, that's why most people have the charge points installed.

The charging infrastructure needs to be improved massively to cope with the amount of EVs expected to be on the roads over the next few years.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Environmental concerns

UK - End to coal power brought forward to October 2024​

Extract:
The deadline to phase out coal from Great Britain's energy system has been brought forward by a whole year, highlighting the UK’s leadership to go further in driving down emissions and tackling climate change.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Environmental concerns
According to @dokuz8news
CHP's proposal to initiate investigation into pollution in River Ergene in Thrace -which pours into the Marmara Sea- has been rejected by the governing alliance AKP and MHP votes in the parliament.

IMG_20210701_171050.jpg

Camden

Environmental concerns
turkiye-de-plastik-atik-ithalati-bugun-itibariyla-yasaklandi-894527-5.jpg

02.07.2021 15:37

Plastic waste import is banned in Turkey as of today​

As of today, the entry of waste plastic packaging in the ethylene polymer group into the country is prohibited, within the scope of regulations issued by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization and Trade.​

Turkey's waste plastic packaging imports came into effect as of today.

While plastic waste in the ethylene polymer group was imported worth 72.3 million dollars last year in Turkey, the amount increased by 135 percent in the first 4 months of this year compared to the same period of 2020 and reached 51.2 million dollars.

As of July 2 (today), the entry of plastic packaging wastes in this group into Turkey was terminated within the framework of the regulations made by the Ministry of Environment, Urbanization and Trade.

According to the data compiled by Greenpeace Akdeniz from the European Statistical Office, Turkey was in the first place in the import of plastic waste from Europe.

Of the 14 million tons of waste imported from EU countries in 2019, 582 thousand 296 were plastic. Plastic waste imports reached the highest level in 2019, increasing to an average of 48,500 tons per month.

The countries from which Turkey imported the most plastic waste were England, Italy, Belgium, Germany and France, respectively.

After China's ban on plastic waste imports in 2017, Turkey has become the new address in this field.

TLF Admin

Administrator
Environmental concerns
I think they should ban exporting of waste, otherwise the rich European countries will just look for another poor corrupt country to dump their crap to.

Camden

Environmental concerns
After making the Bold move and with a Green fanfare the Turkish Government Banned the Import of waste plastic packaging in the ethylene polymer group.

Pre-ban, Turkey was one of the world’s largest plastic waste importers, with 14 million tons of waste imported from EU countries in 2019, .And Greenpeace estimated that Turkey received 40% of the UK’s plastic waste in 2019.

The Turkish Government has NOW REVERSED the BAN..... money, money, money.

There was no detail in the law gazette as to why this decision was taken. However, Greenpeace is stipulating that the Turkish Government has “succumbed to industry lobbying”.

In the Tory Manifesto ahead of the 2019 General Election, the Conservative Party pledged to end exports of plastic waste to developing nations – both because of the environmental and social issues which can result and due to an appetite to grow the UK’s domestic recycling sector after Brexit. The commitment is also noted in the Environment Bill.

However, MPs and green groups have voiced concerns that the UK will fail to deliver on the pledge

Camden

Environmental concerns

Farmers dammed up the Salt Lake, and all the baby flamingos died​

All of the flamingo died when the farmers dammed the Salt Lake and cut off the water flow.​

Nature photographer Fahri Tunç reacted, "No matter how much I complained, I couldn't get any results."​

Translation
Photographer Fahri Tunç, who has been following the flamingo species for eight years in Aksaray, recorded the dead birds after damming the canals carrying water to the lake.

Stating that in previous years, farmers had drawn water to their fields by throwing pipes into the canals, Tunç said, "I applied to DSI, water board and complained. There was no result.

As there was no sanction,they drew from the Dams . The Flamingo deaths started occurring within a week." All of the baby flamingos died in Salt Lake, where there was no water flowing into it .

Tunç reproached the lack of sanctions despite the necessary warnings: "Flamingo parents do not own the hatchlings alone. Since they live as a group, they raise the chicks with the system we call the 'maternity hug'.

Think about it, 10 thousand chicks standing in a circle. Outside, there are 20 thousand chicks surrounding this place. there is a parent. Parents go to the area where they will feed first. They slowly return after taking and feeding the chicks . They come for the clean water r in Salt Lake, where they will be washed and cleaned. The longer the distance they have to travel , the more deaths."

Heartbreaking video..

Last edited:

Camden

Environmental concerns

New warning for Salt Lake: Flamingos may not come to the lake after deaths​

Commenting on the flamingo deaths in Salt Lake, Prof. Dr. Atilla Arslan, “flamingos can stop coming to Salt Lake. This may not happen in 1-2 years, but if the rainfall is low, they may go elsewhere ," he said.

Flamingo's seem at risk in various parts of Turkey ...these beautiful birds need better protection.... after the Salt Lake massacre

21 flamingos in Antalya were seized in the operation for their own protection​

21 flamingos, which were caught while they were about to be sold illegally, are being hosted at the Antalya Metropolitan Municipality Zoo.

According to the municipality's statement, the zoo is home to a large number of species as well as wild animals.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
Awful situation. For years town planners have not really considered the dangers of all the tarmac and concrete. Artvin is an area with very steep hills and deep valleys.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom