yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Environmental concerns
A heat pump with backup and good insulation seems to be the way forward. IMHO excellent insulation must be essential requirement for building permission.
I agree for new homes, but what about older homes such as the one I had in the High Peak, it could never be insulated to a high enough standard, therefore a heat pump wouldn't touch the sides.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Environmental concerns
Bloomberg.jpg

Global Ice Melt Matches Worst-Case Climate Scenario, Study Says..

Melting on the ice sheets has accelerated so much over the past three decades that it’s now in line with the worst-case climate warming scenarios outlined by scientists.

A total of 28 trillion metric tons of ice was lost between 1994 and 2017, according to a research paper published in The Cryosphere on Monday. The research team led by the University of Leeds in the U.K. was the first to carry out a global survey of global ice loss using satellite data…

More…

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
I agree for new homes, but what about older homes such as the one I had in the High Peak, it could never be insulated to a high enough standard, therefore a heat pump wouldn't touch the sides.
Yes, i agree, I was talking about new build, retro fitting is not really an option unless you can use 'mantolama' and render over the top. Not really suitable in the Peak district.

Camden

Environmental concerns

Double road threat to the Finike Orange: We are against the project

The Orange and citrus orchards are under threat due to the construction of a double road in Finike district of Antalya, known as the “ orange capital, of Lycia and peace”. The objections to a seven-kilometer alternative tourism route between Finike and Demre, which is planned to pass through the Orchards where the world famous Finike Orange is grown.

19 February Friday 2021 translation

Orange trees were first brought to Finike by the Şekerci Family in the 1930s, In History the port of Limyra, the capital of Lycia . Before oranges, rice was produced in the fertile lands of the county. However, the spread of malaria caused by mosquitoes attracted to the rice fields caused them to be uprooted and orange trees to be planted instead. Phenicia, where mosquitoes used to roam, began to be known as the 'land of oranges' . However, the orange and citrus orchards in Finike, which where supposed to protected now face a threat of this road .

A petition is to be conveyed to the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and the Antalya Governorate. "We do not want the highway project , that will divide the city into two, known as the alternative tourism route, which will pass through the orange groves of our city, the pearl of Antalya, with orange flower scent," he said, "What will happen? Our tens of acres of orchards on the road route will be destroyed. Our Iskele Neighbourhood, the oldest neighbourhood of our Phenicia, will lose all its historical charm . In the text calling for unity against the irreparable project and to protect the city, “Be a voice our voice. Please support. As Finike is for all of us ”.

enoch

Environmental concerns

Double road threat to the Finike Orange: We are against the project

The Orange and citrus orchards are under threat due to the construction of a double road in Finike district of Antalya, known as the “ orange capital, of Lycia and peace”. The objections to a seven-kilometer alternative tourism route between Finike and Demre, which is planned to pass through the Orchards where the world famous Finike Orange is grown.

19 February Friday 2021 translation

Orange trees were first brought to Finike by the Şekerci Family in the 1930s, In History the port of Limyra, the capital of Lycia . Before oranges, rice was produced in the fertile lands of the county. However, the spread of malaria caused by mosquitoes attracted to the rice fields caused them to be uprooted and orange trees to be planted instead. Phenicia, where mosquitoes used to roam, began to be known as the 'land of oranges' . However, the orange and citrus orchards in Finike, which where supposed to protected now face a threat of this road .

A petition is to be conveyed to the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and the Antalya Governorate. "We do not want the highway project , that will divide the city into two, known as the alternative tourism route, which will pass through the orange groves of our city, the pearl of Antalya, with orange flower scent," he said, "What will happen? Our tens of acres of orchards on the road route will be destroyed. Our Iskele Neighbourhood, the oldest neighbourhood of our Phenicia, will lose all its historical charm . In the text calling for unity against the irreparable project and to protect the city, “Be a voice our voice. Please support. As Finike is for all of us ”.

They should know by now construction is all that matters now.

Chasey

Environmental concerns
Climate change is inevitable and has been happening for millions of years. Our input is significant, but it is impossible / impractical to significantly reduce this impact with the steps we are taking now. The gain per dollar spent is minuscule

This link offers a good balanced view

Pollution on the other hand is well worth fighting for health and quality of life reasons

Id like to see MASSIVE tax on plastics and unnecessary packaging to the point its not economical to use plastics

In my life right up to 20 years ago, milk came in bottles. Delivered by milkmen and recycled.

BAN milk in plastic containers, ban milk in cartons. We didn't need it in the past, we don't need it now

and ban unnecessary packaging.

It comes in a box. OK so why is the box wrapped in plastic???

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
When I first came to Turkey (1983) chickens were wrapped in waxed paper when you bought them, you took a container to the bakkal for yoghurt, they tared the scales and filled it for you. I remember the bakkal proudly showing me the Efes in a can, I told him I did not want it, and bought the beer in a re-fillable bottle ( as I still do). He was so proud when the first chicken appeared in a polysyrene container and covered in cling film. I told him there was no need for all this.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Environmental concerns
It would be interesting to know how much pollution is created by fossil fueled power stations in generating electricity for these battery operated vehicles.

Until we all switch to nuclear, wind, solar, hydro electric etc I don’t see much change in pollution levels.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
It would be interesting to know how much pollution is created by fossil fueled power stations in generating electricity for these battery operated vehicles.

Until we all switch to nuclear, wind, solar, hydro electric etc I don’t see much change in pollution levels.
We are changing to alternative energy electricity generation. The leader in EV sales is norway, much of their elecricity is hydro generation. Between our house and Antalya (160km) there are 5 hydro electricity stations. I had plans for our next vehicle ( current 2 are 13 and 11 years old) to be electric until the recent ridiculous tax on EVs.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Environmental concerns
We are changing to alternative energy electricity generation. The leader in EV sales is norway, much of their elecricity is hydro generation. Between our house and Antalya (160km) there are 5 hydro electricity stations. I had plans for our next vehicle ( current 2 are 13 and 11 years old) to be electric until the recent ridiculous tax on EVs.
Since I found out I can charge for free up here, (we have 2 x 50 Kw chargers within 2 to 3 miles) I put my order in the week before last, they cancelled it last week as the price had gone down, hopefully sorted this week. Much of our electricity is alternative but will have to be ramped up with the fast approaching rules on home heating and electric cars.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
We have a 100kw charger in our local town, but there are still far too few in Turkey. it is not free, but relatively cheap. When we get one we will charge it from our PV panels at home. Often we do not use a car for up to 10 days, so, although it is slow it will be possible to charge at home and top up in town when we go there.

Have a deko at the charging points now available.

Chasey

Environmental concerns
A better view of wasteful internal combustion cars.

Quite so but the issue is the infrastructure required to support electric cars is not in existence.

A fast charger station costs around $250,000 US to build

The problem is the car batteries need DC to charge them and we as a planet decided to go AC so we need massive inverters to enable us to fast charge a car.

I just moved from a house to a flat. We have a parking space in the car park about 100m from our front door but running a charger cable from our flat to the car would be totally impractical. What about all the people living in towns and cities without parking?

We are many many years away from having the infrastructure to support electric cars so Hybrid is the solution for now.

We also need to stop the stupid use of different types of charger point dependent on the manufacturer.

Thank god for the EU who insist ALL electric cars and ALL electric charger points have compatible power feeds across all EU member states. THATS joined-up thinking.

Then there's the small matter of the national grid not being able to cope.

The other problem with electric cars is the cost of the cars new and the cost of the replacement batteries.

Its getting better, but we are not at "affordable" yet

My wife and I have discussed electric and had we stayed at our house id have probably gone electric. But the move to the flat makes it impossible. I am also awaiting the production of the first electric car in Turkey. That should be interesting as if there's no massive import tax, the car could just be affordable in comparison to a petrol alternative.

That said my electricity in the villa trips out if we use all four rings on the hob, so I am not holding out much hope of a fast charger station at home.

Chasey

Environmental concerns

They have Taxed EV's?????

Tell us more

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
The new tax even applies to the turkish electric car (TOGG), I will post a link to a recent posting on the subject. there are charging points with are also street lamps, these would be suitable for people who live in flats. The charging point in our local town (Isparta) is outside a shopping mall, so 40 mins charging could be easily passed. As for the grid not coping, that is true, but here in Turkey a few incentives for build your own systems would soon sort that out. factory rooves are ideal for PV, in our case we have onlt covered half of our garage and have at least 5 other spaces, but refuse to fork out 1500 Euros to apply to sell to government (not to mention 18% KDV payable on equipment).

Jaycey

African Refugee
Environmental concerns
Kyiv.jpg

Ukrainian team develops first-ever electric, amphibious armored vehicle...

tank.jpg

Jaycey

African Refugee
Environmental concerns
week.jpg

Britain second best on emissions
Britain has the second best record in the world for cutting carbon emissions, but reductions globally must decrease tenfold to meet the Paris treaty’s targets, a new study has found. Carbon dioxide emissions in the UK declined by an average of 3.6% a year between 2016 and 2019. Only Ukraine had a faster rate of decline, down 4% a year, according to the research led by the University of East Anglia and Stanford University.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom