enoch

Environmental concerns
If the coffee franchise was not to tight to wash a the Fincan [cup]. We would not have this problem in the first place all to do with profit .

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
If you ask for one they will not refuse. I think it is more the 'image' of being like what they have seen in the US that is the reason for the disposables. I don't use them in the UK, but have never had a problem here in Turkey at all.

Hilsjw

Environmental concerns
Unfortunately plastic cannot be un-invented but there really must be a solution to all the waste, especially in our oceans. I heard quite a good thing on the Radio yesterday morning. A football club, somewhere in the U.K used to serve pints of beer in thin, cheap plastic containers and the cleaners were sick of picking up all the litter after the games. The solution - the bars were offering study plastic glasses with £1.00. deposit, returnable when customers were finished with them. Those left behind were quickly picked up by the local children and at a £1.00. a throw was a good way of making a bit of pocket money.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
5.75 TL in our local Starbucks for a medium (bloody large) filter coffee, beats wandering round Migros with the missus any day of the week.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
I will put it in english for you.If there was no plastic cups ,and they where not given a choice . We would not have this problem now with plastic .

thanks for the translation. I totally agree but originally they were catering for takeaway trade, now they still use plastic to drink in house. This should be banned.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Environmental concerns
At our local Costa , in house users are proffered a china cup , albeit a very large one or a white china mug . At our Salvation Army citadel china is the norm , not takeaways though .

Steve

Kanga

Environmental concerns
Amusing little story in the paper from a man whose wife gave him a strong glass mug for Christmas to use in Starbucks.
On handing over his mug and ordering his skinny latte the barista carefully made it up into a disposable cup, tipped the drink into his nice new mug, then threw away the disposable cup.

To quote steve Bannon; you couldn't make it up.

I don't understand the problem with disposable cups; we buy Rachel's Yoghurt in tall plastic containers with a cardboard label on the outside. The label has a tear strip which separates card and plastic, and both get recycled.
What's the problem with a coffee cup?
It's just a personal opinion but why do so many people feel the need to be wandering around with food and drink permanently on tap? Can't they wait for a mealtime or break? I've led a very busy working life in my time but no way would I eat or drink in the street or a shop, it's disgusting and unhygienic. No wonder there are so many overweight.

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Environmental concerns
Most of the cups used in coffee house have a layer of special coating which means that they cannot easily be recycled. to my knowledge there is only one place in the UK that can recycle them (do you think these money grabbing Franchises stump up for this?) They recyclable logs is actually on the cardboard ring that they add. this, IMHO is to fool people into thinking that the cups themselves are recyclable. Nasty cheating gits.
Update:-
The UK throws away 2.5 billion paper coffee cups every year, with just one in 400 estimated to be recycled.
The majority of those are sold by high street coffee chains, yet taxpayers foot the bill for processing 90 per cent of packaging waste.

Coffee cups are particularly hard to recycle because they contain a paper exterior with a plastic lining to keep the cup sealed.
http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...llution-waste-coffee-shops-cups-a8144236.html

Last edited:

tintagel

Environmental concerns
I will put it in english for you.If there was no plastic cups ,and they where not given a choice . We would not have this problem now with plastic .

Nail on the head, Enoch :) Ditto; excess sugar in foods & drinks!

Not at the behest of the customer/consumer who are the ones paying for it when they buy it & paying again to have it disposed of! :(

Plastic product producers have a vested interest in pushing all plastics, especially single-use, containers & sugar corporations have a vested interest in selling as much of their product as possible! I still remember the day I opened a can of HP baked beans only to find they had turned them into a disgustingly sweet confection - I've never eaten them since, ditto Heinz, far too sweet.

Watched a couple of programmes on 're-cyling' recently, apparently the recycling facilities are (in the main) still there, but more are no doubt needed. New ones, to manage plastics have also grown in numbers. The problem is with single use, non-recyclable plastics - these should simply be banned!

Cucumbers (whatever shape they are....) do Not need to be wrapped in plastic, ditto a majority of other fresh produce & pre-packed goods.

One of the programmes I watched showed the recycling process for plastic bottles which turned the waste back into plastic granules ready for re-using making new plastic products.

Clearer labelling would also help both the consumer & the re-cycler, where I live they only accept 'certain' plastic products & leave everything else. :(

Hilsjw

Environmental concerns
And why are cucumbers shrink wrapped ? Totally unnecessary ! Did you know that all tea bags have quite a high percentage of plastic in them ? That's why, if you put them in your compost they won't disintegrate. The pieces of plastic in the tea bags are so small that they are eaten by marine fish thinking they are krill.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Environmental concerns
Cucumbers imported by ship are wrapped so that if one in a box degrades the others are not affected and spoiled . This may be so for other supply routes , that i do not know about . It also prevents condensation from causing the skins to stick together further spoiling stock and making it unsaleable .

It prevents bugs and creepy crawlies from causing damage .

The suppliers do not routinely do things that increase costs for no return , it saves money .

Steve

tintagel

Environmental concerns
And why are cucumbers shrink wrapped ? Totally unnecessary ! Did you know that all tea bags have quite a high percentage of plastic in them ? That's why, if you put them in your compost they won't disintegrate. The pieces of plastic in the tea bags are so small that they are eaten by marine fish thinking they are krill.

I didn't know about the plastic in tea-bags Hils, thanks for the heads up :)

Cucumbers are shrink-wrapped to make them last longer apparently.... wrapping them in a plastic cover reduces moisture loss & slows the rotting process. But, that's something everybody could do at home if they wanted to!, coating All Cucumbers in plastic is excessive (imho) & doesn't justify the blanket use of plastic coverings.

Cucumbers, like Tomatoes should be stored at room temperature where they last longer & taste better, away from fruits such as Banana's which will cause them to ripen more quickly.

https://www.rootsimple.com/2012/06/dont-store-your-cucumbers-in-the-fridge/

Latest Posts

Top Bottom