bumbler999

English mobile phone with Turkish SIM - disconnected!
When I was in Turkey last month my boyfriend's mobile phone broke. I had an old spare phone with me so, when I left Turkey, I gave him my phone although he did say it might not work because you can't use a foreign phone with a Turkish SIM.

When I spoke to him a few days after I got home he said he'd had a text saying he would be disconnected so he went to register the phone at a phone shop and paid 30 Lira. We have been talking for nearly 3 weeks without a problem and then, all of a sudden, I cannot get through to his phone. I've also tried sending texts and I just get failed delivery reports back straight away so I know its not just switched off.

Having read bits and pieces on the internet I see that foreign phones with Turkish SIMs can get disconnected after 3 weeks if the phone hasn't been registered, which is obviously what has happened here. The phone shop must not have registered it properly.

As I can't get in touch with him I'm not sure whether he'll be able to get this problem sorted out. He hasn't got a receipt for the purchase of the phone so I'm not sure if that will cause a problem.

Does anyone know how/if he'll be able to get this phone back up and running as I've got no other way of getting in touch with him and its driving me insane!?

ChrisBobs

The registration may not have worked as a valid one uses a passport.
There are new phones available at a reasonable cost- surely he can buy one himself?

bumbler999

Yes, I'm hoping he can buy a new one himself. Its just a very tricky situation as I can't even talk to him I have no way of knowing anything.

Bibby

Ferretbrain
I thought it was the sim that becomes disabled, not the phone, when a registration doesnt work.

Surely whoever registered it asked for money for this service and should be approached and informed they didn't do what they were paid for.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
The Phone has to be registerd to you on your passport . I've taken phones for my husband and registerd them in my name . you can do this once a year . However many "back street " phone shops can make the phone appear to be Turkish !!! then it accepts the Turkish sims . Don't you no anyone there you can contact or a bar or cafe ,,So someone can get a message to him . He could call you with a phone card too ...Diane

bumbler999

Thank you for your replies.

Lynne - unfortunately he went to a phone shop in Marmaris which he paid the money to to get the problem resolved and now he is back with his family for the winter in East Turkey!! Its just typical!

Diane - I wish I had got the phone registered when I was there as I didn't realise they needed my passport. Unfortunately he has gone back to his family for the winter so I can't get a message to him - this is a horrible situation. I just have to hope he can find an internet cafe or something. I am hoping he could also try calling with a phone card but I'm not sure if his SIM card is blocked whether he can retrieve his numbers off the phone as his contacts are saved on his SIM card :-(

bumbler999

We chat all the time and the last conversation we had was fine. I know that foreign phones get cut off after 3 weeks if they're not registered properly. His cut off after 3 weeks. Just hope he can get reconnected very soon.

Sounds more like man problems:) Better buy the poor wee thing a new Blackberry Storm or iPhone 3sG and a few thousand kontor:))

bumbler999

I'm asking about a problem with a mobile phone - I could do without snide comments about my relationship. For your information I've been with him a long time and he's never asked me for a penny. I was there when he broke his phone, I had a old phone with me that I used for holiday calls so I gave it him as I've got loads of old phones. He wouldn't EVER ask me for a new phone or money and I'm not stupid enough to give him either anyway!!

Yes, ok I'll try to take my 'cynical' hat off but the circumstances have been why you got a couple of remarks you didn't like.
Firstly, to answer your question about the mobile phone problem: I have friends who registered their foreign mobiles here in Turkey in the proper way and later were blocked. The cellphone shop just shrugs and said it is the government that does it which is actually true. This is why I always advise people NOT to buy phones abroad even if they are cheaper because the risk of blocking and re-blocking is always there and why I have bought my mobiles here in Turkey. The last case of this I heard was a German friend who was tearing her hair out about being cut off unexpectedly.
About your boyfriend: you say you have been together for ages but you have no way of contacting him other than a mobile phone? If he still lives with his family you can contact their fixed phone. If he is not married or hiding something he will have provided a means for you to contact him should his mobile phone get stolen or if he lost it for example. Surely you would be able to contact him via msn or Facebook or a networking site like that or you would have the number of one of his friends or relatives. Otherwise I would be a bit suspicious to be honest.
You didn't ask for these comments but you put your situation on the Forum and so people comment about it as a whole, not just as mobile phone technical advisers:)
He surely also has your phone number written down somewhere so he can phone you from another phone and so if he is genuine you will hear from him soon.

bumbler999

I'm sorry if I snapped a bit. Its just that this is such a difficult situation already that any comments like that were just the last thing I needed.

Hopefully he has enough money saved from the season to buy another cheapy Turkish mobile because it sounds from what you say, even if he gets it sorted out this time, it could keep happening.

As he's been in Marmaris for the last few years and not gone back to his family at winter I've always just used his mobile. Now I'm obviously kicking myself at not getting a landline number but, after staying in touch via mobile for so long, I never expected a problem like this to happen.

We also used to stay in touch via msn as he used to use the laptop where he worked and also his house mate's computer. I knew before he went home that he wouldn't have the use of a computer as his family haven't got one.

I've sent him an email so I hope he'll go to an internet cafe soon.

I'm not sure if he would have my number written down as I haven't got his written down either (I think I should do that now - just in case!!). Anyway, where there's a will there's a way - as soon as he gets on a computer I should know more. Its just the waiting around.

Sorry again for my earlier reply - as you can imagine I'm rather stressed at the moment.

Yes, I hope your problem gets sorted out too - I can understand how you feel stressed out about it. By the sound of it he's more than likely to get in touch via the internet and there are internet cafes in loads of places in Turkey even in the smallest of villages. I don't know how long it is since you last spoke but I'm sure he'll get in touch soon.

bumbler999

Thank you very much bebs and Istanbul expat :) It's only just over a week since we last spoke but you know what women are like, we start panicking in no time at all ha ha!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I hope that he can get to the internet cafe soon, as you seem to be very stressed out. You probably have done this already, but have you provided your mobile/landline number for him to call you if he does get another phone or phone card. Good Luck.

Modgirl

If your fella has gone back to be with his family in East Turkey maybe he doesn't want to get in touch with you and this is his way of doing a Dear J/// .

saffie

Saffie
If your fella has gone back to be with his family in East Turkey maybe he doesn't want to get in touch with you and this is his way of doing a Dear J/// .

What a horrid remark to make!!!!

The poor girl is asking for advice regarding a phone.........I can't see anywhere her asking for anything other than this and certainly didn't ask for anyone else's opinion on her relationship.

Really don't understand why some people can't wait to jump in with some judgemental comments like this?

My Mum always taught me.....if you can't say something nice-don't say anything at all..........and now look. I've said something not nice!!!!

Good Luck bumbler, I wish you well and hope you get it sorted soon.

saffie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom