gmoutso

electricity/gas/water without ikamet
greetings from Istanbul.
I have applied for a residence permit but I am told it might take up to 3 months. Meanwhile I should rent an appartment. However most apparments need me to subscribe to the water/gas/electricity with my name. And I read online that an ikamet, residence permit, is needed. Is this correct? How can I have utilities before my ikamet arrives?

LauraB

So far as I'm aware you will not need a resi permit for utilities, unless things have changed very recently. You do normally need the person whose name the utilities are now in to go along and sign off though.

gmoutso

Thanks Laura for your answer! How sure are you of this? Can other members confirm this, because I have conflicting information. Agents themselves ask me for it when I ask to see a flat. I wouldn't want to rent a flat and discover I cannot have utilities!!

Thanks.

When I moved 2 years ago I organised all the utilities in my name and was never asked for my Ikamet. I think when I originally set up my phone/Internet with TTNet they took a copy of my passport.

gmoutso

Yildez, thank you for the reply.

It must be true then for some cases (yours and LauraB), but perhaps it is not always true. For instance in
aksagaz (dot) com.tr (slash) Turkish \ NasilAboneAlabilirim.aspx
I read "Yabancı Uyruklu Müşterler Doğal Gaz... İkametgah Belgesi (Emniyet Müdürlüğü Yabancılar Şubesinden)". And in
www (dot) expatfocus (dot) com \ expatriate-turkey-utilities
www (dot) istanbulmoms (dot) com \ how-to-open-accounts-for-electricity-water-and-gas-on-the-asian-side-of-istanbul
The second is a blog where the rp is mentioned. And finally the flat agents always tell me so.

It seems like a risk for me to rent a flat without knowing for certain what will happen. I am now looking for shared accomodation until my residence permit is settled. If anyone else has information, please share.

PS. sorry for the cryptic links.. can't post urls yet.

In my experience much of the so-called 'information' on many of theses web sites is better described as 'misinformation'. Why don't you just call into your local Aydem office and ask them what's needed?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom