Kanga

Electrical appliance safety
How confident are you that electrical appliances that you buy anywhere are totally safe?
That includes, online, in a shop, a market stall, and manufacturers' retail outlets.

Chasey

How confident are you that electrical appliances that you buy anywhere are totally safe?
That includes, online, in a shop, a market stall, and manufacturers' retail outlets.

I am confident with modern RCD type fuse boxes, it's far less of an issue than it used to be.

Chris295

In Turkey I'm confident they won't kill me but less so about whether they will do the job that they are advertised as doing.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
I have no problem with turkish appliances around the home had the same ones 15 years .I changed all my RCD fuses when bought the apt to german ones .

ted j

I put in 2 outside sockets
I got 2 long moulded on plug, long extensions

Drilled holes through the walls then ran the cable to where I wanted the outside socket, cut the cable and attached it to an outside socket , then plugged the moulded on plugs into existing indoor sockets
I can disconnect the outside supply by unplugging the inside cable if needed and I then bought 2 new plugs and put them onto the remaining extension leads so I had 2 slightly shorter extension leads

Kanga

The reason I asked is because I found this article recently and it makes very interesting reading. It was posted in a review of something I was thinking of buying.
It explains the difference between the genuine CE mark and the fake chinese export mark, with diagrams.
I went round the house and found everything was genuine except for one item which I had bought online from amazon, which was definitely fake.

https://support.ce-check.eu/hc/en-u...-Real-CE-Mark-From-A-Fake-Chinese-Export-Mark

This is part of the article, I recommend you read the rest

The European Commission and the national authorities have the responsibility to ensure that all products sold within the EU zone bear the official CE mark. Various measures, procedures, and sanctions have been created to counterfeit it, and they all vary according to the respective national administrative and penal legislation. In some cases, the economic operators may be liable to a fine and, in others, imprisonment. In the end, the legal implications depend on the seriousness of the crime. It is also possible that the manufacturer may have the opportunity to verify the product's compliance with the applicable legislation before being forced to take it off the EU market.

Additionally, if any customers suspect that the CE mark of a particular product is fake or have concerns regarding the product’s safety, they are advised to contact the respective national market surveillance authorities immediately, so that appropriate actions be taken.

As overall, every legitimate CE-marked product is considered to be with better quality and proven safety than any other bearing a look-alike, not official, CE mark. Therefore, it’s essential to be able to spot the difference between both symbols and stay away from any suspicious products.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Kanga, are we talking UK or Turkey here? They are pretty strict in Turkey.

Kanga

Kanga, are we talking UK or Turkey here? They are pretty strict in Turkey.

This is UK. Even stricter because of EU membership. (Don't start the brexit thing here,please, it's irrelevant to the thread.)
I suggest you look at the difference between the symbols then check your own appliances, large and small, lamps, beauty products, etc.
You may be surprised. I was going to say shocked but thought it inappropriate.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom