A89

electrical advice pls
I know this isnt anything to do with Turkey but would someone please give me advice on this? This is an outside light that hasnt worked for years and I'd like to take it down. Some of the wires visible there are to another motion activated light, the one I want to remove has been hanging off the wall for a long time and I'm thinking of just cutting the wires to remove the light. The wires go through to the inside wall to a normal light switch.

alison

Attachments

• outside light.jpg
    outside light.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 97

Chasey

electrical advice pls
Cutting the wires will be OK if you have an RCD fuse box. Worst that will hapen is the lighting circuit will trip out. Problem is, what do you do with said cut wire once you have removed the light? They could still be live, so they would need capping with a water resistant cap. If you have no plan to replace the light the best plan would be to disconect remove the cable from the power supply internaly, and if you dont have a clue about electrics, thats a bit more of a job.

Not worh trying to gess it or lurn over the net just get somone in to sort it out

Reactions: A89

juco

electrical advice pls
If it were me and I am not an electrician. I would turn everything off at the mains, then still test to see the wires are not live.
Then disconnect the light and cap the ends of the wires in a suitable `box`

ted j

electrical advice pls
Usually the live wire is the one switched, so if the wires have to stay outside, get a cheap junction box, block connectors and a tube of silicone
Drill and screw the box to the wall, turn off the electric then cut the wires, pair the wiring back on each cable , pass through a hole in the side of the junction box(usually through a rubber seal plug)
Then put the block connectors on the end of the wires and push into the junction box , then squirt silicone in and fill the box .....this will make the wiring fully waterproof

I did just that with the wires from our pool lights where 3 wires went into a twin cable, filled the box up and now, every season I don't have to pair the wires back as over winter they oxidise ...this way they don't

evo80

electrical advice pls
I have a tester ( like a thick pen ) it picks up if the wires are live by just touching the outside of the wire and sockets.Been vey handy .Lots of electricians use them .

glenn

electrical advice pls
You Say the wires go through the wall to a normal light switch. In that case you can dis-connect them at the light switch. tape the ends with insulation tape, in case you decide to re-use the outside light. simples

ted j

electrical advice pls
The problem is Glenn, most supplies are switched on the live wire only , so the neutral would still be "live"

Last edited:

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
electrical advice pls
Ted, while you are correct I believe Glenn is suggesting both wires are disconnected then there will be no supply either live or neutral.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
electrical advice pls
The only safe way is to disconnect from the switch inside ,so that no cable is live out side .With it being out side it could be 3 core cable . L .N.E.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom