Electric wiring colour codes
Hi

Does anyone know the colours of the wires used in Turkey.

UK is green or green/yellow for earth

Red or Brown for live

Black or Blue for nuetral.

I am going over in a few weeks to hopefully put some lights up, but the electric is not connected yet. I suppose I could have a look in the consumer unit to find out if no one is certain.

Ta.

Akbuk Rob

Re: Colour code

Yes Adrian and Matt, the colours used are anything they have at the time ..... I kid you not!

stevecarol

Hi
The colours should be brown +, blue -, green and yellow is the earth, it will not matter which way round you have the positive and negative but if there is an earth wired then be sure to wire it correctly, if the colours do not match these then leave well alone and get a spark to help you.

M

Mack

Yes Adrian and Matt, the colours used are anything they have at the time ..... I kid you not!

I second that! Invest in a good multimeter!

I had a UK electrician friend come to stay and his description of the wiring I couldnt post here as the swear word filter would delete them all. Short of recabling the entire house best to keep a note in each fusebox of the connections and colours. Many places have all three phases serving different parts of the same ring too! It defies physics sometimes :)

hijo

in my own clique

..i usually find that black is live when i check it on the metre..but as Steve says as long as you have an earth ..it should,nt matter..:roundgrin

smikers

Hi Adrian and Matt, I'm a spark who lives in Akbuk, I've done various houses in the area and none of the colours match up, don't go by the consumer unit either as most of the time the knuckle heads wire up a so called junction along the wall to spur off lights or sockets(mostly with tape, not a junction box to be found) Get yourself a good reliable spark or if you know a bit, a multi meter or a phase tester, Oh and none of the lights are usually earthed.

Hi Adrian and Matt,

The wiring in Turkey should be to a european standard, but to be honest from the work I've seen I wouldn't take any risks doing it yourself.
But saying that, could you trust a Turkish electrician? I couldn't!

Luckily I'm an ex Electrician, my advice is look for and get recommendations of any local electricians ( ex english if possible)

If you don't have any luck and have to do it yourself, some tips are

Don't change light fitting by isolating the supply just by turning light switch off. Make sure you switch the whole supply off.

You will probably find that there is no earth cable! As they rely on the RCD (Residual Current Device or more commonly known as a Earth Leakage circuit breaker) on the main board for protection against earth faults.
If you are fitting a metal light fitting, make sure you carry out a test from live to earth using the appropriate test equipment and check to see if the RCD trips out!

If you not sure what to do, it would be safer and simpler to fit a light fitting with no metal parts.

dalyansteve

Even though I am an electrical engineer, I got my house rewired by a local alcoholic who is great as long as you get him to work before midday. Anyway frightens me to death every time I look at the wiring, so any time I have a problem he comes and fixes it, naturaly he breaks, sorry uses, all my tools. Having said that I have not paid him a thing since the original job 8 years ago. Yes everything does work. My advice leave it alone.

Akbuk Rob

Turkish electricians never turn the power off when working, the guy that fitted a heating element in my water tank wore rubber gloves whilst he twisted the wires together connecting it to the live junction box.

On another occasion a registered Vestel engineer was wiring a new aircon unit to the back of a socket, when I asked him if he wanted me to turn the power off, he shrugged as if to say why and said “No, no problem”. 1 min later there was a crack and the power tripped out, he looked SO astonished, he just couldn’t understand how that happened. :wow:

Even some electricians just don't realise the dangers, some think that it will never happen to them, getting electricuted! LOL:flame:

One of the reasons why you should always turn off the whole power when working on a circuit, is the simple fact you can get a back feed from off another circuit!

For example you could have two lighting circuits, where the neutral is shared, you switch off the circuit breaker or pull the fuse from one circuit but leave the other connected, it is possible for a backfeed from the live circuit into the circuit you have disconnected via the neutral.
I learnt this lesson very early during my apprenticeship!!!! I got a shock! LOL

Be wise Be safe Be sure!

radial

HI Alan Just joined this forum. Had house built Turkey 4yrs ago. Wiring colors random. Size of conductors inadequate for power etc. Just found no earth. This worries me a lot (see fatal case of Thirza Whittall in Cornwall last year). Anyone any idea what Regs they are supposed to wire to or where might I find more info? All the best. Stay Safe. Clive

Saoirse

Hi

Does anyone know the colours of the wires used in Turkey.

UK is green or green/yellow for earth

Red or Brown for live

Black or Blue for nuetral.

I am going over in a few weeks to hopefully put some lights up, but the electric is not connected yet. I suppose I could have a look in the consumer unit to find out if no one is certain.

Ta.

Dont use blue for live

Philip
Ward 6
Severe Burns Unit
Fethiye Hospital

Latest Posts

Top Bottom