KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Eggs?
I wouldn't say they are.

You can usually get white or brown. White are often commercially produced and brown are usually available via village suppliers.

It may be a case of them selling "what the housewife wants" in the shops you use.

Or maybe it's a "Yalikavak vs Fethiye" thing. :wink:

Last edited:

lesleykay

Eggs?
I have seen brown ones in Kipa, only by opening up boxes though. Most of them are white. That sounds really sad doesnt it - spending my holiday looking at eggs in Kipa!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Eggs?
Brown eggs are often quite a bit smaller than white eggs so that may be a factor.

angiesco

Eggs?
Is it just me, or do brown shelled eggs taste better? I try to buy brown eggs rather than white but it isn't always easy. Kipa had 6 brown eggs at 2.95tl, 10 white ones 3.15.

Angie.

Eggs?
Brown eggs are often quite a bit smaller than white eggs so that may be a factor.

I not sure, all the eggs we have bought when in Avsallar are white and really small, so small in fact that we have to stuff the egg cups with kitchen roll as they were too big for the eggs.

Cant get the timing right either, at home I always buy large eggs and put them in cold water then 3 min when they start to boil, perfect dippy egg, but I cant get it right in Turkey tried all ways and they still come out like bullets.

Jane

ukizook

Eggs?
It's quite simple really, brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs. There is no difference in size or taste whatsoever between the two. Egg sizes, colour and taste does vairy but that is just natue and diet. ')

Lesley T

Eggs?
Is it just me, or do brown shelled eggs taste better? I try to buy brown eggs rather than white but it isn't always easy. Kipa had 6 brown eggs at 2.95tl, 10 white ones 3.15.

Angie.

Have to agree with you Angie! It's brown eggs every time for me!

hijo

in my own clique
Eggs?
..its all down to the breed of the chicken ...red chickens tend to lay brown eggs...

Emy

Eggs?
Hi
Can someone tell me what the Turkish is for 'Free Range' please?
Always try to avoid battery hen eggs whenever possible, but don't mind if they're white or brown!! :help:
Thanks - Em.

Guz1

Eggs?
Same here Emy. We see lots of hens in Turkey but don't know whether the supermarkets sell free range eggs and chickens.

PASH

Eggs?
Why are some egg shells brown and some eggs white?

The colour of the egg shell is dependent on the breed of the hen. In general, white hens produce white eggs and brown hens brown eggs.

Up until the early 1970s, white eggs were popular in the UK, but during the late 1970s the number of white eggs began to diminish as consumers expressed a preference for brown eggs. Since the 1980s the British industry has produced almost 100 per cent brown shelled eggs, although several other countries still produce white shelled eggs.

There is no nutritional difference between white and brown shelled eggs.

LeylanTiger

Eggs?
I not sure, all the eggs we have bought when in Avsallar are white and really small, so small in fact that we have to stuff the egg cups with kitchen roll as they were too big for the eggs.

Cant get the timing right either, at home I always buy large eggs and put them in cold water then 3 min when they start to boil, perfect dippy egg, but I cant get it right in Turkey tried all ways and they still come out like bullets.

Jane

Bring your water to a rapid boil first. Gently place the eggs into the boiling water (eggs need to be room temperature) Boil for 1 minute. Turn of gas/or remove from electric ring. Cover pan and let sit for 5 minutes (less for smaller eggs). Perfect "Dippy Eggs":hungry::hungry:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Eggs?
It's quite simple really, brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs.

Sorry mate, but you're wrong, chickens can be made to lay whatever colour eggs you require by adjusting their feed.

Kipa had 6 brown eggs at 2.95tl, 10 white ones 3.15.Angie.

6 Brown eggs for 2.95 TL !!!!!

I bought 20 brown eggs and 2 loaves of bread this morning in our village shop. Total price 5 TL !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom